Thread: Sciatica - surgeon's knife begone! page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I am so relieved, it's untrue.

This week has been awful - unbelievably graphic MRI scans on Monday, awful stomach virus Tuesday/Wednesday and then strong suggestions that surgery was the only way out of my ruptured disc problems - it was all too, too much.

But then this afternoon, I saw my physio who I hadn't seen for 3 years. He investigated the scans, read the report, tested a few things with me and said there was no reason why he and I couldn't deal with it with a proper, good quality rehabilitation programme! I can go back to the gym after he's advised me next week what I can and can't do. I can have a life. The pain will ease (and you know what, it already has, the power of the mind is amazing!). In short, I can get my life back!

So pleased, you have no idea. Anyway, just wanted to share!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Great news!!

Just don't mention the heart-attack-on-a-plate that is now the diet helping you to heal....

maba is offline Senior Member

Great to hear that PrimalK.

@ NorthernMonkey - he was fine with that, actually!

@maba - thank you!

GotPrimal Guest

Congrats PrimalK.

Follow the physio's advice to the T.

And truly, be humble when listening to your back, if it is getting worse, do not ignore it.

Being the patient advocate that I am, I'd suggest if possible, get another physios opinion on the course of treatment available. Its always good to get more eyes on the scan/report. Not that I do not trust a physio's interpretation of MRIs and a radiology report, its not their forefront expertise.

Congrats again!

go_ginger_go Guest

Wonderful news!! -- from one back rehabber to another.

I don't know your whole situation, but one thing that has helped me tremendously which none of the "professionals" advised -- it was a friend who recommended it -- is aqua rehab. Check to see if your town's YMCA or Park & Rec has gentle water classes aimed at rehab. Then you can move up to gentle strengthening classes within the water. There is a very cool way to do crunches (to strengthen your core) while floating in the water without drowning yourself.

Barney Rubble Guest

I suffered with sciatica for years. Could not stand still in one place for more than 2-3 minutes without having excrucating pain. For those who have it you know the burning of which i speek. Went through the PT and meds but it only really kept it in check. 2 years ago out of complete frutration i went to a chiropractor although I was a long time skeptic. I felt the improvement within a month and in 3 months I was 95 percent pain free. 6 months later I was completely pain free. I currently do vigorous body weight excercises, sprint 2x per week and am currently training for black belts in AikiJitsu and karate. Kicks before that would have me in agony are now routine. On the day of my Black Belt test I will need to be in a Horse Stance (Kinda like a semi squat for you non martial artists) for 2 hours non stop. 2 years ago I would be on the floor screaming in 2 minutes. I cannot say enough about Chiropractic.

Besides being primal (no drugs), chiropractic allows the body to heal itself (proper nutrition helps too). Pick up a few info booklets at you local chiropractor and read about the the theory. It is amazing and the success stories are real.

While I have diarreah of the fingers I will tell one other story of healing through chiropractic. My nephew is a 5 year old who needed to have tubes placed in his ears to relieve routine and severe earaches. A common malady in children. Now it should be said that my nephew commonly plays with the children of the chiropractor I visit. One day while at the office he told me he believed he could help my nephew however he would never touch him without consent of my sister and would I please ask my sister to let him try. No charge. By sister was also skeptical but I kept on her. She finally relented at made an appointment. What was wrong was that one of the vertebrae was misaligned crushing the eustachian tube (ear canal). Surgeons insert tubes to keep it open and relieve pain. Doc made the painless adjustment and the surgeons tube in my nephews ear fell out on the table. He has had no problems since. One visit to the chiropractor vs years of visits and operations. Choice is easy.

My recommendation is to try Chiropractic first and if not satisfied then go to traditional medicine.

go_ginger_go Guest

I also highly recommend chiropractic.

As part of my rehab after breaking my back in 5 places, I have been seeing a chiropractor twice a week for a year now. (He is not cracking me -- that's the last thing I need -- he's doing something called "the tonal approach".) I was also skeptical of chiropractic and, in fact, my first reaction when another healer referred me, was "No!" My chiropractor sees many sciatica patients, and I know it helps them greatly.

My best friend also has sciatica. She won't go to the chiropractor (can't afford it), but she swears by an essential oil called Aroma Siez that has relieved her sciatica pain by about 90%. I am also a big, big fan of the Young Living essential oils. They've helped me tremendously, and none of my "mainstream" medical team can believe I have zero pain, given my situation.

I hope this is helpful to you. I hear how much pain the sciatica patients are in when they are in the chiropractor's office with me, and I am so empathetic.

Best wishes.

go_ginger_go Guest

Oh, BTW, without me saying a word, my chiropractor could tell the exact moment when I went primal. (I did it all at once, did not gradually transition into it.) He said I am now more "clear" and grounded and that my body "takes" his contacts (adjustments) more readily.

He could also tell, without seeing my face, just from touching my back, if I'd been binge eating. He picked up on this immediately both times it happened. (This was pre-primal.)

Thank you everyone for your really helpful suggestions. I hadn't even considered chiropractic assistance, let alone dismissed it, so it's another thing to look into!

I must admit to feeling somewhat better already having followed my physio's directions for only a day. Here's hoping!