Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped all soap two weeks ago page 2

Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Good for you on the makeup.

I had a little dandruff at the very start with white pieces in my hair on occasion, but I've had nothing since. The ONLY thing I've put in it is coconut oil a couple times when it got a little dry.
    I put in cocnut oil and it took weeks for it to finally rinse out, now it's at the extra oily stage. (when wet). So I figure a couple more weeks and it should be stable ... Hopefully but when it's dry it's kinda soft.. I dunno how to explain it really .. when it's wet I don't like the feel of it .. but when it's dry it's amazing! ..
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go

Follow My Journey :-)

Dancing Queen is offline Junior Member
    I've also changed my methods... I went from using Clinique to Origins which is organic/chemical free and last week I started the oil cleansing method which has been a huge success so far. In fact my DH said that my skin looks 'glowy' which I was thrilled to hear! I haven't gone 'poo' free yet but I'm stretching out the days between shampoos and have it at about 5 days so far. I would love to only have to wash it once a week and then I will try switching to the bicarbonate of soda/apple cider vinegar method. I've also gotten rid of all of my shower gels and swapped for an organic paraben etc free soap for my body... may have a go at reducing down how much I use and where I use it!!

I shudder to think how much I've spent on skincare over the years. Not any more! I had acne as a teenager which lasted well into adulthood and I still feel that my skin bears the scars a bit but I've now gotten to the point that I only wear make up for an occasion and the rest of the time I'm make up free!

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I don't even remember when I stopped using soap, but it most be at least 3-4 months ago. I did stop using shampoo just before Christmas last year and started using bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar instead. My hair was getting terribly greasy with that method though so I started using eggs instead and that worked really well. Currently I wash my hair once or twice a week with a mixture of egg, honey, acv and lemon juice and it works really well!

Just water doesn't seem to work that well for my face which tends to get a bit oily, so I use 50/50 acv and water and occasionally a moisturizer with no mineral oils. That seems to work quite well for me.
    On the rest of my body I only use water and maybe body lotion occasionally (have been given loads of the stuff so trying to use it up!). Instead of deodorant I use bicarbonate of soda which works really well. It doesn't stop the sweating, but sweating is only natural, but I does take away the smell. :-)

I've even ditched the toothpaste and started making my own from bicarbonate of soda (again), glycerin, sea salt and peppermint oil. It seems to do the job.

I must say that I'm very happy now I don't have to spend loads of money on cosmetics, and I think it's probably better for me as well.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    I only use soap to wash my hands at the sink and in the shower I use it to clean 'downstairs' (living in humid region am I am susceptible Trichomycosis ) and thats it. My skin is no where near as dry as it used to be. My sweat doesn't stink like it used to in my exercise clothes, Wondering if that is also due to nutritional changes aswell?

No hair on my noggin so thats not an issue.

I read about the idea/concept of overbathing...plenty of food for thought

From a young age, we're taught that the daily use of a hot shower, copious amounts of soap and a scratchy washcloth are necessary to rid ourselves of dangerous microorganisms and the putrid smell of human skin. And if you aren't squeaky-clean, you can forget about dating, career advancement and the promise of a future that doesn't involve dying alone in a den of your own filth.

As it turns out, showering or bathing daily, while it may make us more socially acceptable, wreaks havoc on something hilariously called the horny layer. Hot water, soap and abrasive surfaces strip off the horny layer, exposing living cells to the elements. And although we've just used the words "strip," "exposing" and "horny" in the same sentence, we assure you that this is not the making of a sexy situation. On the contrary, damaging this protective layer of skin makes us more susceptible to disease.

Before recent modern conveniences, people bathed less often, and frequently in the same water. Even nowadays, showering doesn't kill bacteria or other microorganisms, though it does move them around. A colony of bacteria living on your shower wall might move to your leg; a colony from your leg might move to your head; a colony from your groin might even take up residence on your hands. For this reason, surgeons in many hospitals are not allowed to shower right before operating.

Studies have shown that there are no measurable differences in the number of microorganism colonies a person is host to regardless of how frequently that person showers. Of course, using antibacterial soaps can kill microorganisms, though in an effort not to create too many super bacteria, medical experts generally recommend not using these soaps daily.

So how the hell are we meant to do it?

The most important thing to do to keep the skin healthy is to preserve the horny layer. There's no magic number of showers each week, though it's generally agreed that the number would fall somewhat shy of seven. Skipping showers, or, if you'd like a fancy French term, celebrating sans douche days, gives your skin time to repair some of the damage that the last shower caused.

When you shower, use warm or cool water and a mild soap (if at all), and rehydrate the horny layer by rubbing on some moisturizer afterward. Better yet, convince an attractive friend to help with this. Once you've cleaned up, you'll want to make sure you air dry. Ignore protesting roommates or family members and remind them, as you're drip-drying at the breakfast table, that they should be grateful you're showering only a couple of times a week.
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Kind of weird to just stop doing stuff that "everyone" does and find out it's all BS.
    Innit, though? I had to stop telling people about it--at first I felt like a f*kin evangelist or something. Turns out soap/shampoo is all a scam, who knew? People think it's kinda weird, especially the idea of going without (or using baking soda and water in place of) body soap, deodorant or toothpaste. I've had an easier time spreading the no-shampoo gospel, though, because my hair is stupidly long, and people comment on it fairly often especially in parts of the country where hippie hair is (apparently) an unusual sight. That makes for a good opening, and people seem to be pretty tickled at the notion. You can't really see a difference with the other things, and somehow the fact that I don't stink like a hobo isn't enough testimony to let that notion sink in in a happy way.
    Last edited by mixie; 05-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Ok - Wait..... what? This is all new to me. Someone throw some knowledge on my dumb self. I use soap but only in "select" areas as my skin is chronically dry. Shampoo and conditioner I use daily. I'd love to not have to. (My hair gets greasy and funky if I don't) So enlighten me!!

mixie is offline Senior Member
    No-poo links =)
    Lorraine Massey: 7 tips for going 'no poo' : The Mommy Files
    Is The No Shampoo Method Right For You? | NaturallyCurly.com
    No poo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No ‘Poo: New & Improved! | One Green Generation
    The No Shampoo Alternative

A baking soda scrub and apple cider vinegar rinse is the most common, I've found. I have long, thick, straight (Mexican/Italian/Am. Indian type) hair. I scrub my scalp once a week or so with baking soda, followed by an ACV soak/rinse, with a little sandalwood scented coconut oil rubbed in my hands and smoothed over the surface for gloss and moisture. I comb with an oxhorn comb for scalp massage/detangling and use a good boar bristle brush for distributing natural oil evenly. That's it--no split ends, no frizzy hair, no breakage, no $$$ poured down the drain in chi-chi cosmetic SLS detergents. Hooray!

ETA: I use a little castile soap on the especially needy bits of my body, but otherwise just plain water or a baking soda scrub. Even as a kid people would ooh and aah over my clear skin and ask what the secret is. Laziness, good genetics, no soap, and cool water, I say ;0)
    Last edited by mixie; 05-08-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    erm, this all sounds .. smelly.

I work with my dad on weekends and we get downright grimey, don't feel like putting vinegar on my body after that, but soap and some scrubbing leaves me fresh and clean. I also like to use shit on my hair, and I find that shampoo gets rid of it quite well.

Paleobird Guest
    There seem to be two extremes expressed whenever this debate turns up like the proverbial bad penny. Some like their "products" and shampoo and soap everywhere every day. The other camp thinks shampoo is the spawn of the devil and even having a bar of soap in the house is unhealthy.

I come down somewhere in the middle. I totally agree that most commercial shampoos and soaps have harsh ingredients that can dry out your skin and hair's natural oils. But vinegar is an acid and baking soda is very abrasive. I really don't see how those can be considered any less caustic and un-natural to put on yourself. So I buy only all natural gentle soaps and shampoos. I also see no reason to shampoo every day but see no reason to cut it out entirely either. I shampoo about once a week. Yes, your scalp does produce less oils if you are not constantly stripping them off. Once a week works well for me without drying it out or letting it get too greasy. And my hair smells like lavender instead of cleaning products. I have an olive oil based soap that I buy at a middle eastern market for removing makeup and for what Mixie called the "specially needy" parts of the body but otherwise I don't use soap all over.

I don't think we need to go militantly no-poo in order to be living by the "Avoid poisonous things" rule. To each his or her own.

Also, from what I've read and my own experiences, the completely no-poo thing seems to work best for people with curly and/or short hair. For the long straight and fine kind, it just kind of leaves you limp.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love soap....yummy, smelly soap, and I don't care if I could go without it. I shower twice a day most days too. I do however only shampoo once or twice a week- the rest of the time I just condition.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast