Thread: Noticeable decrease in strength page

LauraTX is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Noticeable decrease in strength

Shop Now
    I’ve been Primal for roughly 2 months, 80/20 I should say. Things are great aesthetically however I’ve never had much of an issue with weight though now, for the 1st time in a while, my tummy is solid which has been a result historically difficult for me to obtain. I remain very active & drink a lot of water, both of which have always been a fairly normal part of my daily life. The differences I have noticed since beginning the primal diet have been in my sleep patterns & strength. I have basically become an insomniac and I've noticed a serious decrease in my upper body strength. I am worried that this may have something to do with my carb intake, or rather lack of, however (on paper) that logic simply doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I should inform you that I have been under an unusual amount of pressure resulting in large doses of stress and emotional angst…. Also, this is the first time I have ever been on a diet of any kind.

Thoughts?
    Why limit the visions of your future by the narrow experiences of your past?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing PB or just the diet aspects?

Are you getting enough protein?

Are you making sure you get all your micronutrients? B group vitamins are essential to vitality
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

I would have to say just the diet aspect though I believe many of the PB guidelines are naturally incorporated into my life style.

I eat a lot of eggs & chicken however I have never been much of a steak person & I do not take vitamins.

I admit I am ignorant (for the most part) to the percentage of any vitamin I intake daily. Actually, someone suggested I sign up to this forum to get a chart of carbohydrates politely pointing out that I do not have a good grasp on what is or is not.

I have perused the information pages however I've recently started a new career and am inundated with training, tasks, & clients. Needless to say, the overwhelming amount of information is discouraging & having never been a “health nut”, I don’t have a knowledgeable foundation to work from.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Throw in some starchy tubers and see what happens. I found my performance seriously waning once I got within 5-10lbs of my ideal weight, especially with high-intensity activities. Cut back fruit (fructose) down to one or two servings a day, also removed most nuts from my diet (linolaic acid) and fermented dairy and replaced them with sweet potatoes, rutabagas, beets and other starchy tubers (glucose) along with upping my protein uptake to 1.0-1.25g/lb bodyweight (150-210g). Had more energy to workout and really felt better. I might eat two or three spuds a week now; generally half post workout with some lean meat and the rest for dinner on heavy lifting or sprinting days. Near as I can guess is after close to a year of almost ZERO starchy tubers I was chronically low on muscle glycogen.

I also ran a few days through fitday and found I was eating to satiety at a massive caloric deficit (500-1000/day) Once I started eating more, not only did I lose weight again, but I really began gaining strength.

Of course, this also coincided with a drastic reduction in work related stress as well for unrelated reasons. So that could be it, too...

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraTX View Post
    I would have to say just the diet aspect though I believe many of the PB guidelines are naturally incorporated into my life style.

I eat a lot of eggs & chicken however I have never been much of a steak person & I do not take vitamins.

I admit I am ignorant (for the most part) to the percentage of any vitamin I intake daily. Actually, someone suggested I sign up to this forum to get a chart of carbohydrates politely pointing out that I do not have a good grasp on what is or is not.

I have perused the information pages however I've recently started a new career and am inundated with training, tasks, & clients. Needless to say, the overwhelming amount of information is discouraging & having never been a “health nut”, I don’t have a knowledgeable foundation to work from.
    Offal and red meat are the best natural sources of the B group vitamins. A good chance that you are deficient.

What about protein? Are you getting enough? You need between 0.7-1.0g per pound of lean body mass

For the insomnia, try supplementing magnesium, which is hard to get in sufficiency from diet
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I would say eat some red meat, it sounds similar to the symptoms of Anemia. (iron deficiency)
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    I would say eat some red meat, it sounds similar to the symptoms of Anemia. (iron deficiency)
    I would agree. Anemia and stress go hand in hand with me.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by katiethepiano View Post
    I would agree. Anemia and stress go hand in hand with me.
    How are they correlated? Do you know how quickly a person can become deficient to the point of anemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    I thought of that initially however I was tested for everything no more than 3 months ago & I want to say my iron count was normal, perhaps only slightly low (if at all).... to my recollection. That's not to say I couldn't stand to up my red meat intake or try to include more B vitamins into my diet.

I like the magnesium suggestion however I am VERY leery of any sleep aid as I have yet to find one that doesn't render me groggy & unsuitably lethargic the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    Throw in some starchy tubers and see what happens. I found my performance seriously waning once I got within 5-10lbs of my ideal weight, especially with high-intensity activities. Cut back fruit (fructose) down to one or two servings a day, also removed most nuts from my diet (linolaic acid) and fermented dairy and replaced them with sweet potatoes, rutabagas, beets and other starchy tubers (glucose) along with upping my protein uptake to 1.0-1.25g/lb bodyweight (150-210g). Had more energy to workout and really felt better. I might eat two or three spuds a week now; generally half post workout with some lean meat and the rest for dinner on heavy lifting or sprinting days. Near as I can guess is after close to a year of almost ZERO starchy tubers I was chronically low on muscle glycogen.

I also ran a few days through fitday and found I was eating to satiety at a massive caloric deficit (500-1000/day) Once I started eating more, not only did I lose weight again, but I really began gaining strength.

Of course, this also coincided with a drastic reduction in work related stress as well for unrelated reasons. So that could be it, too...
    Thank you! ... I appreciate the personal example; I have heard this elsewhere as well. I will let you know what I try and how it worked out. I'm not looking to loose any weight but I could stand to gain a little muscle mas.
    The stress is dissipating slowly but surely in both my personal and work environments; hopefully that wont be a factor much longer.