Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Flour Question page

kam904s is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Okay, another quick question for those of you who cook with coconut flour.

Is unsweetened shredded coconut the same as coconut flour? Normally I use almond flour but I'd like to try cooking with coconut flour too. Since I'm going to Trader Joe's this weekend to price out a pound of the stuff (versus finding an inexpensive source online) I'd like to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Also, where does everyone else buy their coconut flour online? I'm moving back to the midwest in the spring where there are no Trader Joe's so I've got to find a good source sooner or later anyway.

maba is offline Senior Member

kam904s, No, coconut flour is not the same as shredded coconut. The latter is just dessiccated (sp?) coconut meat whereas coconut flour is made from the "pulp" that remains after coconut oil has been extracted. It's defatted coconut basically. I got mine from the local co-op but it's cheaper online. I wanted to try a small amount first before buying a 5lb bag from Amazon.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I tried blitzing dessicated coconut into coconut flour..... needless to say it didn't work!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Agreed. The two would not be interchangeable in recipes.

I've bought coconut flour from Tropical Traditions online, and I've also bought Bob's Red Mill brand at a few different places, including Whole Foods market. Both are good.

I live near two Trader Joe's, and neither one carries coconut flour.

If you buy from Tropical Traditions, wait for a sale; they occasionally have a buy 1, get 1 free sale.

Even though it seems fairly pricey, a bag lasts for a very long time, because you really don't use that much of it in recipes.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I love baking with coconut flour! If you need recipes, just ask!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

lil_earthmomma, I'm asking you for the recipes How is the blog plan coming along?

kam904s is offline Member

Yes, please, recipe me!

Metasequoia Guest

I just further grind up dried coconut & use it, it works beautifully in my recipes..

JamieBelle is offline Member

I bought the 5 lb bag of Aloha Nu from Amazon.com. I am storing half in the freezer and the other half in the refrigerator. It keeps well. I also bought a book called "Cooking with Coconut Flour" and have tried several recipes. So far the best one is the chocolate cake. I keep a loaf of coconut bread on hand all the time, too.

The textures are very different from typical food. But so far, I'm enjoying it. I also go through TONS of eggs. For example, the chocolate cake recipe called for 12 eggs. lol

JamieBelle, just yesterday I was thinking of making CF Chocolate cake for friends we're entertaining next week. I have a recipe for a CF Bread. I was thinking of adding cocoa and molasses/maple syrup to it. But I think a tried and tested recipe would be better. Mind sharing the recipe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast