Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Drinking" coconut oil page

MichaelH is offline Member

"Drinking" coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    I just got my first jar of coconut oil several days ago (Barlean's Organic Oils Extra Virgin Coconut Oil). Something about the way it's distributed into the jar makes it look beautiful - kind of like these translucent layers stacked on one another. I'm still figuring out ways to incorporate it into my diet.

Now, I keep hearing of people drinking it. I listened to an Underground Nutrition podcast with the author of The Coconut Oil miracle, and the term "drink" was often used.

I intend to put it into my morning smoothie (which is already coconut milk based). Do I have to turn it into liquid form? Do most people who eat it by the spoonful heat it up first?

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I think it wil be ok in the blender. Just don't put it in liquid form into something cold then you will end up with little chunks of it all over.

I can't eat it straight up. It makes me want to gag! I put it in coffee or a shot of espresso instead. This took a little getting used to but now I'm ok with it.

To think I once always had my coffee light and sweet! What a long way I've come!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
    I just got my first jar of coconut oil several days ago (Barlean's Organic Oils Extra Virgin Coconut Oil). Something about the way it's distributed into the jar makes it look beautiful - kind of like these translucent layers stacked on one another. I'm still figuring out ways to incorporate it into my diet.

Now, I keep hearing of people drinking it. I listened to an Underground Nutrition podcast with the author of The Coconut Oil miracle, and the term "drink" was often used.

I intend to put it into my morning smoothie (which is already coconut milk based). Do I have to turn it into liquid form? Do most people who eat it by the spoonful heat it up first?
    I actually get MCT oil by NOW and do take shots of that, other wise just let it melt in your mouth... not in your hands
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    I think it wil be ok in the blender. Just don't put it in liquid form into something cold then you will end up with little chunks of it all over.
    Yeah, see, that's the thing: I like my smoothies cold. I use frozen berries and/or ice. So I will probably get little gobs of coconut oil throughout, but I can live with that

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I take a spoonful on days that I've been eating relatively low fat. I tend to eat a lot of white meat chicken and pork so sometimes I'm lacking. Anyway, I love it and consider it a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I take a spoonful on days that I've been eating relatively low fat. I tend to eat a lot of white meat chicken and pork so sometimes I'm lacking. Anyway, I love it and consider it a treat!
    So, just to be clear, you eat it, not drink it? Like how you might eat creamie peanut butter, right?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    So, just to be clear, you eat it, not drink it? Like how you might eat creamie peanut butter, right?
    If it's still solid, one eats it. It it's warm enough to be liquid (about 70F or so), one drinks it. Good either way, though may take some getting used to: it's not often we eat pure gobs of fat.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Yup! Exactly.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I eat it by the spoonful while it's a solid. It's incredible stuff. I've been eating 4-5 tbsp daily which would push me quite a bit into a calorie surplus daily but I'm leaner than ever.

tandemlogic is offline Junior Member

A tastier way

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use coconut oil for a lot of my cooking; I only recently started taking it straight to supplement my primal diet. I realized I needed a lot more calories from fat in order to feel satisfied and avoid overdoing it on the carbs. Since I started taking 2 tablespoons per day I've definitely seen a decrease in my appetite and felt fuller faster.

My experience drinking it as a liquid was not a good one. It honestly made me want to gag. And I'm a firm believer that anything you ingest should be a joy. So I experimented and found that refrigerating it in a custard cup until solid made it much more palatable. Solid coconut oil has a nice nutty texture! I sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and eat it alone or alongside some tuna mixed with primal Mayo.
    The next time I get a craving for chocolate I'm thinking of mixing some coconut oil with cocoa powder and stevia before sticking it in the fridge. I'll give feedback when I do. I certainly love dark chocolate but I don't always want the extra carbs, since I like to indulge in sweet potatoes and fruits fairly regularly. This may be a solution.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast