Thread: Pureed foods page

Phocion_Timon is offline Senior Member

Pureed foods

Primal Fuel
    Some molecules are quite fragile, such as in a raw egg yolk, and a blender or food processor can and does damage these molecules so I use a shaker bottle for my protein shakes, hoping to keep most of the molecules intact.

What about pureed liver? I simply cannot abide the taste of cooked liver but I discovered there is little or no taste to pureed raw liver. Do the vitamins, minerals, etc., survive the pureeing process?

Any help here will be much appreciated.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Can you enlighten me on why damaging the molecules is an issue? They are broken down when digested anyways?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Can you enlighten me on why damaging the molecules is an issue? They are broken down when digested anyways?
    Or chewed, or cooked... pretty sure the blender isn't ruining your egg yolks.

As for raw liver, if you're obtaining it from a clean safe source it should be fine. And yes the vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc will survive the pureeing process.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

mayness is offline Senior Member
    The vitamins and minerals and stuff aren't gonna be damaged by a blender. Some of the proteins probably are, but you'd be amazed what you can do to a protein and still have it stay in one piece - I'm a biochemist, trust me, I do all sorts of stuff to cells and get intact, functional protein out of them.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

@ Pandadude:

I'm not a biochemist by any means but it is my understanding that when a molecule is broken down in the digestive process, the molecule is "broken" in a particular manner by enzymes that are intended to break down that particular molecule or protein, like a key fits a particular lock. If the lock, or the key, is broken, the lock cannot be opened. If just shards of a molecule are present, the enzyme that fits the entire molecule, or protein, will not "recognize" the pieces of the lock. As I said, that's how I understand it. I figure a "broken" molecule, or protein, will not, or cannot, be properly used by the digestive process and just pass on out.
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 05-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    The vitamins and minerals and stuff aren't gonna be damaged by a blender. Some of the proteins probably are, but you'd be amazed what you can do to a protein and still have it stay in one piece - I'm a biochemist, trust me, I do all sorts of stuff to cells and get intact, functional protein out of them.
    What about my above over-simplified idea that a "broken" molecule, or protein, cannot be used by a proteinase? Do the pieces just pass on through without being utilized by the digetive process?
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 05-07-2011 at 05:13 PM.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To the best of my knowledge, none of our digestive enzymes recognize specific protein sequences or sizes or anything like that, they just chop up whatever comes along. If we had specific enzymes for every possible protein in every plant and animal on earth, our genome would have to be much larger. =] So a broken protein will be digested just as well as a whole one. Nothing to worry about there.

There certainly ARE proteases that chop specific proteins in specific places, but not digestive ones.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.