Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis Journal (Bane of my existence!) page

sayaz is offline Junior Member

Angry Seborrheic Dermatitis Journal (Bane of my existence!)

Primal Fuel
    This is my little journal to help me track my progress on fixing my seborrheic dermatitis.

Its a real bitch.

My full story is here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29900.html

-------------------------------
    Friday 6th of May 9:00PM
    -------------------------------
    Cycle: Moderate-Severe
    Day: Cold, Dry
    State: Tired, possibly rundown
    Stress: Fairly High

Other notes:
    Deprived of most sugar, yeast etc for a week and a bit.
    Ingestion of 1/2 bunny rabbit, 1/2 choccy egg, 3 small eggs
    Meat lovers pizza
    No Niacin was taken.
    Garlic Bread
    5 Primrose Tabs

Diet Notes: Diarrhea of pizza and HCL (Think pizza is the culprit as I felt no burning in stomach)

Supplement Status:
    4 zinc, 4 mag, 2, 10,000 Vitamin A (1 per 2 week)

Other Symptoms:
    Tired
    Spaced out / gazing
    Blocked up nose / slighty runny

----------------------------------------
    Saturday 7th May 2011 6:12 PM
    ----------------------------------------
    Diet: Dark choccy, meat, eggs, mix of vegies, coconut oil, garlic cloves
    Seb Cycle: Moderate-Severe
    Day: Sunny but cool, dry
    My State: Feel fairly decent actually. Maybe the dark chocolate I've been snacking on. Was high as a kite after bacon and eggs this morning as well though.
    Stress: Medium

Other notes:
    Betaine HCL definitely gives me the trots. No more of that. Can't be a good thing.
    Sugar hits and bread etc and whatever don't seem to influence it alot... same as yesterday. EPO
    hasn't made much of an impact either but I'll give it a few days.
    Still running rivers of yellow. Cutting out B complex until I get some tests.
    Moved down to 44mg of ele zinc today, still on 400mg of ele magnesium though
    A clove of garlic upsets my stomach for a few minutes til I get all the gas out. What does this mean? Poor digestion?
    Bursitis is still there... lingering... curse you

Anything else I should include in these notes that might be pertinent to the cause?
    Last edited by sayaz; 05-07-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: added link

Wenona1975 is offline Member
    you could try topical application of the coconut oil onto affected areas

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/hwnl_7-2.htm

Got dandruff? Most people do to one extent or another. People have been troubled by dandruff since the dawn of time. Consequently, many folk remedies for dandruff exist, from massaging olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, old tea leaves, or even vodka into the scalp to adding concoctions of herbs such as burdock and celandine to soap or shampoo. Even warm water enemas have been suggested.
    There is no scientific proof that any of these work, prompting the old joke: “What do I recommend for dandruff?...Wear a white coat.”
    Dandruff, also known as seborrheic dermatitis, is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales of skin to form on oily areas of the scalp. Cradle cap is the term used when seborrheic dermatitis affects the scalp of infants.
    What causes dandruff? Scientists have come a little closer to understanding the mysteries of dandruff, a condition as ubiquitous as it is embarrassing. In the past, dandruff has been blamed on dry skin, oily skin, washing the hair too often or not enough, on diet, stress, or simply a lack of personal hygiene. “Dandruff on the collar” is shorthand for a man careless of his personal appearance.
    But the real blame for dandruff lies not in neglect, but in a yeast-like fungus, Malassezia globosa, which lives on the scalp and feeds on the oily products of the sebaceous glands.
    Recently, scientists have decoded the complete DNA of the fungus, which could provide clues to how to combat it more effectively. The scientists involved work for Procter & Gamble, manufacturers of Head & Shoulders, an anti-dandruff shampoo. The fungus is one of the simplest ever sequenced, with just 4,285 genes, 300 times fewer than its human host.
    Dr. Thomas Dawson from Procter & Gamble’s Miami Valley Innovation Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, reports in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that the fungus has adapted to its environment by losing the ability to make its own fatty acids. Instead, it survives by feeding off the fats secreted on to the scalp by the sebaceous glands. Men have larger sebaceous glands than women, which probably explains why they are affected more often by dandruff.
    The white snow-like flakes of dandruff are bits of skin. Shedding skin is normal, but in dandruff sufferers this happens more rapidly than normal. The newly decoded genome shows that the fungus produces enzymes called lipases that trigger dandruff in a two-stage process. First, the fungus uses lipases to metabolize the fats secreted by the sebaceous glands, creating oleic acid as a by-product. Oleic acid is the primary fatty acid found in olive oil. This in turn penetrates the top layer of skin and triggers the rapid turnover of skin cells. This is dandruff.
    About half the human population suffers from dandruff, though it can usually be controlled by special shampoos that contain fungus fighting chemicals such as selenium disulfide or ketoconazole (e.g., Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue). Yet despite its importance, relatively little has been known about the fungus that triggers the whole process.
    As well as decoding its genome, the P&G team investigated which proteins the fungus secretes. They found that it produces eight lipases and three phospholipases, which it uses to digest the oils from the scalp. Each of these proteins could be a possible therapeutic target for new anti-dandruff preparations.
    They also found that M. globosa has the genes necessary for mating, although happily this has never been observed in the species. The idea of a head covered in fungi is bad enough without having to think of them mating.
    The average human head provides a home for up to ten million M. globosa fungi. Similar fungi cause skin and ear problems in animals, including dogs. Anti-dandruff shampoos do not eradicate the fungus, but they can control it.
    Theoretically, anything that can kill the fungus can be useful in controlling dandruff. Such folk remedies as vodka or vinegar actually do work because of their antiseptic properties. Another home remedy is coconut oil. Massage coconut oil into the scalp and let it soak in for 15 to 30 minutes, then wash the hair with regular shampoo. Repeat the process every three or four days. The antiseptic properties of the coconut oil kill the fungus. Like any treatment for dandruff, including antifungal chemicals such as selenium disulfide or ketoconazole, coconut oil cannot completely rid the body of the infection. Once a person is infected with M. globosa, it tends to stick around for life, so the only thing you can do is to keep it under control.
    An added benefit of using coconut oil on the scalp is the effect it has on the hair. It gives the hair a healthy luxurious shine and actually strengthens the hair shaft. Some people even claim it enhances the natural hair color and promotes growth.

I've heard that skin problems are caused by decreased liver function, since the skin is secondary choice for toxins after the liver.

Eating coconut oil should also help any internal yeast/fungus problems, but topical should give faster results and relief.
    Last edited by Wenona1975; 05-07-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: added more info

Yeah it burns... seems to just make it worse I thought it worked for a little while but its one of those things that seems to taper off and just stops working altogether, only makes things worse. I take it internally however.

Sorry to hear that it burns and seems to make it worse. Recently Dr. Bruce Fife (whose website I linked) did an interview on Sean Croxton's show on blogtalkradio. He said that when someone uses coconut oil for acne, people will have 1 of 2 reactions. Instant improvement, or worsening for a period of 2 weeks, but then the skin will look the best ever because coconut oil has a detox effect and brings out the toxins, thus making the symptoms worse first.

How long does it burn after applying? Is it something you could handle for 2 weeks to find out if it works, or did you try it for that long and that's why you said it stopped working?

I've used it for over a month before along with a raw honey mask every other day and no luck. I never got to the point where I felt like it was making a significant improvement or anything. For the first few weeks it was up and down, like you said, it was initially bad, seemed to get better after a week and a bit but it started going downhill into start of the 3rd or 4th week if I remember correctly. Ultimately I stopped because I personally felt it was doing more harm than good.

Sometimes it burns immediately on application other times it is delayed. So yeah basically I did the rounds on that and it didn't work out too well haha.

And I'm trying to investigate if its an internal thing. Been going through cloves of garlic, 4 tbps of coconut oil a day, that kind of thing as well as supporting my gut with probiotics etc. I feel i have a long way to go though.
    Last edited by sayaz; 05-07-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Added info

Well, people can have different results since we've all been exposed to different things, have different levels of nutrients/toxins. Another nutrient that supports skin health is silica. I bought food grade diatomaceous earth, which can be mixed with water or something else, no worries of taking too much with that. Vitamin C is also anti-inflammatory, I noticed in your other thread you mentioned taking something for inflammation. You can take large amounts of vit C, the worst, short lasting effect is diarrhea, then you know your bowel tolerance and reduce to a slightly smaller amount. I get the chewables, since they are easier for me to take and I know they dissolve.

What form of vitamins are you taking? Capsules or solid tablets? They may not be dissolving and this could be why you're not seeing any benefits.

Yes, using a filter to remove chlorine and fluoride (if you can find one for fluoride, usually they're more expensive and scarce) will help.

If you do any cleanses, be sure to do them in the correct order, starting with bowel first, then liver, then kidney, then blood. All toxins need to have a clear path to exit, if the bowel isn't working right, toxins will get reabsorbed.

Thumbs down

Sunday 8th May 2011

Woke up with extreme flaking on the right hand side of my face, not on the seb but on strange dry skin patches. Maybe it is more seb... The seb hasn't changed at all over the past 6 days. It usually fades in and out and now it appears to be frozen. Has me worried

I'm going to cut out all supps... I think I'm making things worse. Exceptions are: probiotics, some zinc (30mg), magnesium (400mg) and enough fish oil for 1:1 to try and reduce some of this crazy inflammation then start with 1.5:1 next week

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    My husband suffered from bad dandruff and some acne - the dandruff runs in his family and it affects the eyebrows and lashes as well. A long time ago he started using a cleanser of mine I bought from Avon online. It contained Bentonite clay. After that he noticed that not only did his face clear up, but his dandruff got better as well, even though he was only using the cleanser on his face and neck. Sadly, Avon no longer makes that cleanser, but you can buy masques at the drugstore that contain Bentonite. You can also buy pure Bentonite powder online and mix it with water, oil or your favorite cleanser to make a paste. My mother in-law started using it also and was helped as well.

When my husband had a bad dandruff outbreak, he noticed that it affected his gums health as well. So today he continues to use bentonite, along with Head and Shoulders shampoo, and a mild moisturizer after cleansing.

I hope you find relief soon.
    Last edited by HillsideGina; 05-07-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typos - dang ipad keyboard

yellah is offline Junior Member
    Hi, i have been diagnosed of seborrhic dermatitis. It had reduced my self esteem and confidence. Everything in my life changed. I went from a happy person to a really sad and angry one. However, i realized that when i used this herbal, it has helped me with my problem. I found this herbal named LACTO PAFI. I am from the philippines by the way, so i guess it is only sold here. However, with internet and fast shipping, you may be able to buy it online too. I noticed that when i used this LACTO PAFI herbal, my sebborhic dermatitis was gone after 1 year and 7 months, after that i was completely healed. However, when i dont use the LACTO PAFI, my sebborhic dermatitis stayed with me for almost 8years that it ate my life. I hope you could get the chance to be healed too. Always remember, that the best healer is GOD and with Him, nothing is impossible. Have a wonderful day yo'all.