Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I chose.....Poorly. (How do you handle special occasions?) page

Kenzington is offline Senior Member

I chose.....Poorly. (How do you handle special occasions?)

Shop Now
    Tonight was my mom's birthday dinner..... and I went berserk with the carbs. 4 chocolate chip cookies, bread, and this chocolate raspberry tart thing. HOLY CRAP. I lost my damn mind. A simple "Well it's my mom's birthday so I can be naughty a bit and celebrate with her" turned into me vacuuming everything up with my mouth. Ugh!

So my question is..... do you guys allow yourself to jump off the wagon now and again or do you stick to your guns and not let yourself be moved? i need a better strategy for dealing with life's 'special events'.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Well right now I am definitely avoiding derailing because I'm trying really hard to shed some fat and build muscle. When I have reached my goal I won't mind hoovering up tasty treats during special events.

I've adopted a promise to myself that another member suggested and it has helped me so much:

I will not eat more more than one unprimal meal in a day.

With this philosophy, I can eat less than primal, and not settle into a weird "oh well the day/weekend/week... is ruined." type of binge.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Regarding the sugar addiction, I'm very inspired by toady's success story.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    80/20!

I know myself, and I know that if I give myself leeway every day of the week, I'll take it. Life is good. People are always having reasons to celebrate: babies, promotions, birthdays, etc. There are just too many excuses to cheat.

So I designate a single weekend day (currently Saturday) during the week as the day when I can break my rules. I used to go out of my way to cheat on those days when I was starting because I needed that safety blanket. More recently, I haven't needed to. But if I decide I want to eat rice, or a cookie, or a hamburger on Saturday this week, I'll eat it.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    100%. If I fall off the wagon I immediately get back on, and I don't try to justify it. I own that I screwed up.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    Tonight was my mom's birthday dinner..... and I went berserk with the carbs. 4 chocolate chip cookies, bread, and this chocolate raspberry tart thing. HOLY CRAP. I lost my damn mind. A simple "Well it's my mom's birthday so I can be naughty a bit and celebrate with her" turned into me vacuuming everything up with my mouth. Ugh!
    I'll tell you that eating four cookies, bread, and one raspberry tart is not losing your mind. You are too hard on yourself. Talk to me when you eat an entire Mile High Mud Pie by yourself.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I'm...I'm..well, I'm just messed up. I've found that, for special occasions, if I let myself have that roll or rice or a huge slice of chocolate cake or heck, an entire pasta dinner starting with pasta salad and ending with half my weight in chocolate, then I'll chow away happily, give a big burp, suffer the inevitable migraine and carb flu and get back on track.

If I don't I come home all grumpy that I missed out (like a child that's been punished) and pretty soon I'm digging through cupboards and finding SOMETHING not primal to eat. You'd think after so many months I'd have found everything but no, there is always something. And after I eat that I say screw it, the days shot, go to the store and have a massive carb/baking bender that leaves the kitchen covered in cinnamon and flour with me passed out from carb overdose in the corner.

Its easier to indulge in the special occasion-much less repercussions. I am thankful we are mostly past the holiday season, Christmas, New Years, a few birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter....way too many chocolate/cake/cookie holidays in a row.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post

So my question is..... do you guys allow yourself to jump off the wagon now and again or do you stick to your guns and not let yourself be moved? i need a better strategy for dealing with life's 'special events'.
    That's not that big of a deal, honestly. I'm a big fan of the carb refeed, and although your choices are far from appropriate (yams, potatoes, white rice and soaked beans would be far better choices), it's amazing how heavy carb binges can make you wake up lighter. I'm doing a carb cycle right now. Today I ate a mere 42g of fat and almost 220g of carbs. I ate 6 yams and an apple with assorted vegetables. Tomorrow will be a repeat.

What I would recommend is you wait a full 16 hours until your next meal, then snap back into high fat. Think 60/30/10 fat/protein/carbs. You may find yourself waking up skinnier the next day. Hell, if I really want to wake up skinner, I'll drink 3 beers a few hours before bed. Low to moderate alcohol consumption around once a week tends to jumpstart my fat loss for some reason.

The human body is an amazing puzzle! Don't beat yourself up. A heavy carb binge on occasion is great to boost leptin levels, which is the hormone that tells your body to release fat. Leptin levels drop like a rock on high fat/low carb, so that's why people tend to stall after a few weeks. A heavy carb shot may be just what you need. Next time, just try white rice and yams so you don't get the gluten or lectins
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-06-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

dado Guest
    Move on.

You did what you did, now keep going forward. Not much to discuss. To discuss, to go over it, this is to dwell. To dwell is to inhibit action. To inhibit action is to be weak.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Once in a while is not only no big deal it is also one of the reasons I love the whole primal thing: I don't worry about it anymore.

The only caveat w/ me is that it has to be worth it. Bread/pasta/pizza/ice cream make me feel somewhat ill so I avoid them. Chocolate cake, cookies, cheesecake I'm there, in moderation, with a strong cup of coffee.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast