Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Vitamin D level up to 60... how much for maintenance?

Vitamin D level up to 60... how much for maintenance?

Shop Now
    My vitamin D started at 8 in January and now I am up to 60! Yeah!

Since January I have been taking 50,000 IU twice a week and 8-12,000 a few times a week. My doctor suggested 2,000 for maintenance... what do you think about that?

I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for any input!

Great level!

The recommendation for maintenance from the Vitamin D Council is 1,000 IUs per 25 lbs of body weight.
    I am ~125 and take 6,000 IUs (just to be on the safe side.)

Thanks, Dragonfly! I was really happy to hear my results! I had a really hard time trying to get my level up...for two years! It wasn't until I bought the liquid drops (Carlson's) and took more than what was prescribed that I finally got it up...plus going Primal probably helped a great deal! I knew it had to be higher than 2,000... I'd be back down to 8 in no time at that level.

I'm in Cleveland Oh. Mine stays in the 70's on 5000iu/day, up from 21. Do the 2000iu for 90 days and get new blood work. If it dropped, bump it up. 170lbs. Holy crap, you were at 8?

Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    I'm in Cleveland Oh. Mine stays in the 70's on 5000iu/day, up from 21. Do the 2000iu for 90 days and get new blood work. If it dropped, bump it up. 170lbs. Holy crap, you were at 8?
    That's what I was thinking too! Mine was at 21 and I thought that was crazy low, 8 is like Phantom of the Opera hermit no sunlight ever kind of low!

Congrats on getting your levels up! I can't wait to see what mine are at when I get them re-checked in about a month, I've been taking a lot less than you're taking though. I started out at 5,000, but upped it to 8,000 daily for the last month or so.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    Mine was at 21 and I thought that was crazy low, 8 is like Phantom of the Opera hermit no sunlight ever kind of low!
    Ha, ha... that's funny! I am kind of a hermit...lol... but I am out in the sun at least an hour a day walking my dog and then in and out throughout the day. And in the summer I would sit outside for about an hour in addition to being out walking my dog with no sunscreen and I still couldn't get it up to a normal level. I wonder if it had to do with damaged digestion from gluten.

I know... I can't believe I was at 8... I hope it doesn't have long-term affects.