Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you eat bread? page

JanuaryEmber is offline Senior Member

Do you eat bread?

Primal Fuel
    I am wondering how many of you eat bread and under what circumstances?

I was struggling to find something simple for dinner tonight so I whipped up some tuna and guacamole with celery on sprouted 7-grain bread. It was really, REALLY good. So good I could easily eat it too often! I guess I could use lettuce leaves instead of bread... i'll have to try that.

So do you eat bread?
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    I'm going to assume this post is satire. Well done.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Caveat: I'm not particularly gluten sensitive, so I can eat bread without my system going totally haywire, but I choose not to the vast majority of time because eating it doesn't help me achieve my goals of weight loss and controlling carb cravings.

It's not something I'd ever bring home, or make at home. It's very rare that I'll eat it out at a restaurant - if it's truly above-average bread, I'll enjoy it, guilt-free. But most bread is pretty average and not worth indulging. There's one Indian restaurant I've been to where the naan was otherworldly; if I went there again, I'd probably eat that naan. I've been to bbq joints where there's cornbread on the table and I might have a bite or two and move on. If we're out to breakfast and my boyfriend gets french toast, I'll try a bite.

But like I said, most bread's just not worth it to me.

In the situation you described, if I really wanted bread to put it on, I'd make this stuff. I tried it last week with almond flour and it's pretty tasty: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I'm going to assume this post is satire. Well done.
    Actually no, I was being serious. I don't normally post, just lurk, as I am still learning and find a lot of people here are not nice to people who are not perfect. I am not perfect and I am still learning. And I was asking in all seriousness if anyone here eats bread ever and if they do under what circumstances. While I was writing my post it occurred to me that in the future I could use lettuce instead, which I wrote. But I still want to know.
    "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Caveat: I'm not particularly gluten sensitive, so I can eat bread without my system going totally haywire, but I choose not to the vast majority of time because eating it doesn't help me achieve my goals of weight loss and controlling carb cravings.

It's not something I'd ever bring home, or make at home. It's very rare that I'll eat it out at a restaurant - if it's truly above-average bread, I'll enjoy it, guilt-free. But most bread is pretty average and not worth indulging. There's one Indian restaurant I've been to where the naan was otherworldly; if I went there again, I'd probably eat that naan. I've been to bbq joints where there's cornbread on the table and I might have a bite or two and move on. If we're out to breakfast and my boyfriend gets french toast, I'll try a bite.

But like I said, most bread's just not worth it to me.

In the situation you described, if I really wanted bread to put it on, I'd make this stuff. I tried it last week with almond flour and it's pretty tasty: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html
    Thank you for responding without making me feel bad. I do keep bread in the house for my kids. As I mentioned I am new to this and so they are about 60% while I am learning and they are adapting. But I give them sprouted grain bread instead of mass market bread. I don't have gut issues with grains, but like you, they aren't going to aid me in my goals for weight loss and craving control.

Sorry, it has been one of those days but bread is not exactly primal. It is rather akin to going to a vegan forum and saying, "So I ate a steak. It was good. Do you guys eat meat?" I have eaten bread 3-4 times since starting primal. It is definitely not primal, but sometimes I am okay with that.

Have you read Mark's book? If not I highly recommend it. It answers lots of questions and he is far nicer than I am

Edit - circumstances. My GF finished her semester with a 4.0 and wanted pizza to celebrate - I ate it. A buddy of mine was raving about a place for months and we finally went. I ate bread to make him happy. I wanted a burger and it came with a bun. I ate it.
    Last edited by canio6; 05-06-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Never.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Sorry, it has been one of those days but bread is not exactly primal. It is rather akin to going to a vegan forum and saying, "So I ate a steak. It was good. Do you guys eat meat?" I have eaten bread 3-4 times since starting primal. It is definitely not primal, but sometimes I am okay with that.

Have you read Mark's book? If not I highly recommend it. It answers lots of questions and he is far nicer than I am
    No worries. I do have the book and I am in the process of reading it, though I have not gotten very far yet, I just started reading it this week. Before this I was doing Whole30 and so I am trying to figure out my food-path in life.

Quote Originally Posted by JanuaryEmber View Post
    No worries. I do have the book and I am in the process of reading it, though I have not gotten very far yet, I just started reading it this week. Before this I was doing Whole30 and so I am trying to figure out my food-path in life.

I wish you much luck. My GF is much more a carb person than I am. She does a weird primal thing where she eats what I make for dinner but eats pita bread (she is middle eastern) and humus a few times a week. It keeps her carb beast happy and she has still lost 30 pounds. It works for her.

Edit - I say 'weird primal thing' because pita and humus is not primal but the combo of that with primal other times works for her. So overall not primal but it works.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    I wanted a burger and it came with a bun. I ate it.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Occasional bun with burger... if I make 'em at home, always bunless. At In N Out I go protein style. But at a few places, I like their buns and I just go for it. It's not a regular thing, so I don't stress about it.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast