Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Friend has cancer and is getting inundated with vegetarian propaganda! page

heatherframz is offline Junior Member

Friend has cancer and is getting inundated with vegetarian propaganda!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, I need your help! One of my good friends was very recently diagnosed with lymphoma. It's stage 2 hodgkin's and her prognosis is very good, and she begins chemotherapy and radiation in just a few weeks.

Here's the thing: she's a yoga teacher, and a lot of her yoga friends are vegetarians or vegans. They are urging her that the healthiest thing for her is to eliminate all animal foods and go on a two week juice fast until her chemo begins.

You can imagine my jaw dropping. I can't think of anything more unhealthy than drinking nothing but sugar water in preparing your body for the assault of chemo. I told her as much and tried to consolidate the jumble of primal wisdom in my head to tell her that good, clean animal products are exactly what she needs. She was definitely listening, and asked me to send her some literature or facts or anything as soon as possible, since she was planning to start the juice fast in a few days.

Help!! Do you guys have suggestions for the most compelling, succinct articles/studies regarding immune system health, etc? I'm planning to send her Taubes' recent NYT article on sugar as well, but I need help compiling some resources for her about animal fat/protein. I'll try to direct her to MDA of course but if you guys have any specific articles that really affected you, please point me to them.

Thank you!

Griff is offline Senior Member

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    While I do not agree with the juice fast recommendations, they are on the right track with respect to fasting. The general gist of fasting is that it sends the healthy cells of the body a signal to slow down, stop consuming energy because it is not readily available. Cancer cells are characterized by unbridled growth which essentially means that cancer cells do not respond to hormonal signals to limit their growth. As a consequence, while fasting, general metabolism slows down in order to reflect the restricted energy context, while cancer cells carry on as before. This makes therapies like chemo more effective in two ways:

1. For a given dose, relatively more is taken up by the cancerous cells than the rest of the body.
    2. Closely related to the above, a lower dose may be administered in order to lessen side effects.

Here are some studies:

Fasting and cancer treatment in humans: A case series report
    Starvation-dependent differential stress resistance protects normal but not cancer cells against high-dose chemotherapy
    Fasting and differential chemotherapy protection in patients.
    Fasting vs dietary restriction in cellular protection and cancer treatment: from model organisms to patients.

I hope everything works out for your friend.

-PK

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Just FYI - I have a friend who has stage 4 cancer and did her own research. She found a doctor whose philosophies jive with hers and she just did a 3 week juice fast. There were no fruits in that juice fast. It was all vegetables. The doctor fully believes that cancer needs sugar to survive and eliminates all forms from the diet. It is a vegan diet. And mainly raw foods. He has had documented success with it, even with stage 4 cancer patients. As I have had no success with treating cancer patients, I do not feel I have the right to intercede.

Best wishes to your friend. I hope she finds a path that works for her.
    Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 05-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I do agree with the juice fasting, but not fruit juices - organic, green juices with lots of garlic and ginger. Also tell her to read this. It isn't a scam, it's free and it works. The free recipe is on the page.

How I Cured Stage 4 Cancer in Two Weeks For Less Than The Cost Of A Night At The Movies
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    She's gotta keep the sugar low...I think everyone agrees on that. How she chooses to do that should be whichever way makes her most comfortable. It's the least she can do for herself, because chemo won't be comfortable at all.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    There is some good evidence that protein should be avoided in the case of cancer, thus the whole vegetarian deal. But that's not to say one has to be a vegetarian - small amounts of fish will help and there is nothing wrong with grass fed beef tallow and much good. Completely fallacious saying that a low protein diet must be vegetarian.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    OK... a bit against the grain here...

We are talking about cancer here. Not acne. Not receeding hairlines or flatuence. It's cancer.

Your friend should not be taking advice from her vegitarian yoga friends, nor from random strangers on the internet.

Your friend should seek out the best oncologist that she can find, and do exactly what the doctor tells her to do.... What the DOCTOR tells her to do... not Google.

Yea... I know... there are many reasons why doctors may be wrong... or they may be providing advice standardly accepted by the industry to avoid mal practice. Maybe some of them are in the pockets of drug companies. I don't care.

If I ever get cancer, I am sticking with the advice of the guy who has dedicated his life in treating the disease.

In the meantime, I will continue to educate myself and seek the opinions of others in the best diet to follow to PREVENT cancer, or to realize other health benefits, without following my doctor's advice blindly. That, I'm cool with.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you here, Waskydiver. My father followed his oncologist's advice religiously, and he died of cancer and gangrene. He was only 63 when he died. The doctor did not do his job, pure and simple.

The day I trust a doctor without doing my own independent research on his health claims is the day you can bury me. Forget it. Doctors don't know anything anymore except which drugs to stick in your arm or force down your throat. They know zip about health.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

GreenLightJerky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you here, Waskydiver. My father followed his oncologist's advice religiously, and he died of cancer and gangrene. He was only 63 when he died. The doctor did not do his job, pure and simple.

The day I trust a doctor without doing my own independent research on his health claims is the day you can bury me. Forget it. Doctors don't know anything anymore except which drugs to stick in your arm or force down your throat. They know zip about health.
    Griff I agree with you 100%. My mom has followed the 'advice' of her doctor through 3 operations and i cant remember how many chemo and radiation treatments. What has that gotten us? After 4 years of 'treatment' her sister just flew in to see her since she is in hospice care and her days are numbered. Seriously the 'doctor' has given her less than a month to live. "Lets hope the chemo kills the cancer before it kills your mom"!! Great plan! It did not work.
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast