Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please, I need some expert advice page

paulwalter is offline Junior Member

Please, I need some expert advice

Shop Now
    I am a 40 year old male originally from India. I am 5' 9" tall and weighed at 220 lbs as of April 18th. I came across this site on April 18th and liked what I read for the most part. I completely cut off all grain, legumes and dairy from my food since that day. My primary goal is to get down to 180 lbs and stay there for the rest of my life as I am tired of carrying this excess weight. I used to be a trim 170 lbs guy until my 25th birthday. I still have decent muscle mass that is covered up under a lot of body fat.

I have been eating 3 to 4 eggs a day mainly for breakfast and/or lunch and started using ghee primarily for cooking. I have about 10 ounces of chicken in a day either for lunch or dinner. I have been eating upto 15 almonds soaked in water overnight and dring upto 2 lts of water a day. I have been consuming a cup of broccoli and cabbage or 2 cups of salad greens with very little dressing in a day and I occassionally enjoy upto half a cup of home made dry roasted peanuts in the course of a day (may be twice a week). I have also been eating one medium sized avacardo once in every 3 days with 1/2 a tea spone of honey drizzled on it.

I do eat atleast one apple, one tangarene and a small cup of grapes or strawberries or mango (they are in season now) every day. Even if I tallied up all my calories in a day I don't think I am exceeding 1600. But my RMR needs around 1800 calories. Should I up my calorie intake a little more?

Am I consuming too much of carbs still? I want to up my meat intake by eating more beef and lamb. I do love beacon but don't know if I can get good quality beacon from wegmans or giants (there are the most common stores in my part of PA).

I am lifting weights twice a week and starting to walk and bike around a little more than before - I have to increase my activity a lot more now that we have some nice weather.

I did loose 6 lbs and I have been at 214 lbs for more than a week now. What do I do to encourage more fat loss? I already feel more alive and happy since eliminating grains and legumes. All minor aches and pains have vanished magically!! I can feel my muscles tighten up in my shoulders and arms and I can see/feel my ribs which hasn't been the case prior to this lifestyle change.

Thank you very much in advance.
    ~ Paul Walter

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Not going to pretend to be an expert, but what sticks out to me is a lack of protein and fat.

Replacing your fruit with some high protein/high fat food should help not only your loss, but also will make you feel not so hungry.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    I have been eating 3 to 4 eggs a day mainly for breakfast and/or lunch and started using ghee primarily for cooking. I have about 10 ounces of chicken in a day either for lunch or dinner. I have been eating upto 15 almonds soaked in water overnight and dring upto 2 lts of water a day. I have been consuming a cup of broccoli and cabbage or 2 cups of salad greens with very little dressing in a day and I occassionally enjoy upto half a cup of home made dry roasted peanuts in the course of a day (may be twice a week). I have also been eating one medium sized avacardo once in every 3 days with 1/2 a tea spone of honey drizzled on it.

I do eat atleast one apple, one tangarene and a small cup of grapes or strawberries or mango (they are in season now) every day. Even if I tallied up all my calories in a day I don't think I am exceeding 1600. But my RMR needs around 1800 calories. Should I up my calorie intake a little more?
    Welcome paulwalter- I placed this in quotes, because this can use some fine tuning.

I would cut out the apples, tangerine and grapes. Berries are a good fruit I like to eat, but don't go overboard on 'em.
    Peanuts are in the legumes family- so drop those.
    I would stop the addition of the honey as well.

I agree with Waskydiver- what sources of food do you get your fat and protein from? Or where's the meat's and seafood?
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Am I consuming too much of carbs still?
    You say:
    I do eat atleast one apple, one tangarene and a small cup of grapes or strawberries or mango (they are in season now) every day.
    Based on that, yes. You are eating too much carbs still.

You need to eat a lot more fat, and a lot fewer carbs.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thank you all for replying. I guess I am still not getting the bulk of my calories from protein and fat! I will try to cut out the fruits and peanuts. My main source of protein prior to April 18th was from legumes (60%) and chicken/hot dogs/eggs/sausages/occassional steak (40%) and my carbs were mainly from rice and wheat (60%) and fruits and veggies (40%).

I will try to incorporate a lot more beef, fish and fats. I guess I will have to teach myself how to cook beef and pork. We do eat fish and shrimp a fair bit but always had them with rice (very typical South Indian diet). I guess I should try to grill or bake salmon, mahi mahi, tuna etc !! Time to buy a new grill and thrown the shrimp on the barbie mates!!

Now, will increasing my calorie intake be a problem.. i.e. if I am eating around 1600 cals now and go up to 2000 on a all protein and healthy fat diet and only try to limit my carbs to 50gms a day will that help me shed by body fat. I am not trying to be narscistic or anything but I don't feel comfortable with all the excess weight that I have been carrying around my midsection any longer. My 2 boys beg me to get into the pool with them and I do it for their sake but feel quite shy doing that.

Oh by the way, my wife makes very good Thai dishes (red curry with chicken and sea food) and we use a good amount of coconut milk in these dishes. I am eating these dishes without any rice since the last couple of weeks.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Don't get too wrapped up in calorie counting paul- let your body be the guide. Eat when hungry and stop when full. You'll probably notice you're eating less per meal and less often once you start consuming mostly protein/fat.

You seem like you're on the right track now, so get your grill on!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Good start! I recommend reading The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, and Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. If you are losing steadily now, you may get away with the carbs you are eating, but if you are not or stall, then you will have to cut the carbs down to something on the order of 1/2 cup of berries our about 9cbs of fruit per day, and maybe double that in non-starchy veg. Each person has to figure out what s/he needs to lose, or gain, or maintain--in that we are each unique. Keep at it, and you are sure to get where you want to go. My spouse lost 30# in three months, got below 180 for the first time in 20 years (he is 6'), looks great, and he's sixty. It's slower for me, but still works if I keep the carbs low.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Digby, thank you for your encouraging words. I have ordered the above mentioned books. The problem with me is that this life style change comes as a big culture shock. I have been living in the USA for 20 years and though completely assimilated with this culture, food at home is primarily South Indian cuisine. I think I will make the transition and enjoy doing it too!!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwalter View Post
    Digby, thank you for your encouraging words. I have ordered the above mentioned books. The problem with me is that this life style change comes as a big culture shock. I have been living in the USA for 20 years and though completely assimilated with this culture, food at home is primarily South Indian cuisine. I think I will make the transition and enjoy doing it too!!
    Indian food is wonderfully flavorful, but seriously starchy; but I make a lot of curry, and the spices work well with the non-starchy veg, and meat of course. You are ahead of the game with knowing about ghee. But like many of us, our culture comes into play with family meals, holidays, etc. That's when one's true creativity comes into play.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast