Thread: Where does one go to get "certified" as a nutritionist? page

Leanne is offline Senior Member

Where does one go to get "certified" as a nutritionist?

Shop Now
    I am curious about all these nutritional experts and where they get their education and training from. I am thinking about going back to school part time and basically changing careers. I have worked in health and wellness in the past in various assistant / public relations capacities but went back to restaurant management when I was simply not earning enough to meet the bills. However, it is not where my true interests lie and honestly the long hours and physical and mental stress are not so great for my body or my relationship (although there are many things I do love about my company).
    So if one wanted to start studying in order to get a recognized certificate of some sort that gave them the credibility to work with other health and wellness practitioners as a proper nutritionalist where would one start? And also, where does one go to learn the real science behind it all and not the CW bull of low fat and reduced calories?
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    There is someone going to Bauman College. I forget who it is, but I know they have a Giants avatar (GO ROX!).

This would be the only place I would ever go to for a nutrition certification, because there is no way in hell I could sit thru lectures singing the praise of grains and spitting on fat and cholesterol in food.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you for the link. I am reading up on the college right now.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Sure- if you want post a new thread with the title "SF Giants Avatar- have question". I know they are currently attending that college from what they've posted here.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    If they are an RD, it's actually a lot of work. They have to have an bachelor's of science in nutrition and then a masters.

My BA is in Asian History. Pretty much completely useless, but was interesting to study at the time. If we could only go back in time to our younger selves with the information we know now... well... I would have told my younger self to study anatomy and kinesiology... with maybe a little business and marketing as electives. But now with mortgage payments and 55 hr at work a week and generally way more responsibilities, going back to school seems a lot more challenging and expensive then it did when I was 18. I am hoping to find something I can do by distance ed and still finish in less than two years.

If we could only go back in time to our younger selves with the information we know now... well... I would have told my younger self to study anatomy and kinesiology... with maybe a little business and marketing as electives.
    I would tell myself to invest in Apple...

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    I would tell myself to invest in Apple...
    I would have invented the pet rock myself. That and bought Citicorp at 97 cents back in March of 2009.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You might want to do a forum search. This came up several weeks ago and we were discussing why anyone would want to go to school to learn CW nonsense, and I think the thread included some good options too.

I sometimes think about this too, but I just don't want to go to our local university (a few blocks away) and learn garbage!