Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merrell Trail Gloves page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Merrell Trail Gloves

Shop Now
    Got a pair a couple of weeks ago. I've used them on a few 3 mile runs, 2 rounds of hill sprints, in the gym a bunch of times and just walking around town (shopping, etc).

They are my 1st barefoot shoe and I LOVE THEM. My calves were destroyed the 1st time I wore them on a run.

Anyone else wear them?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I am saving my money for some right now. If all goes well, I plan on doing a (sprint) triathlon in them in August.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I have had mine for about three months now. GO EASY for the first 6-8 weeks. Start at 10 minutes and add 2 minutes a day. You risk some painful hamstring issues if you jump up the time/distance too fast, especially if going off road with them. That said, I find them quite comfortable for runs up to about 7 miles on non-boulder strewn trails. Above that or on super rocky trails, I still prefer some support (in the form of Brooks Cascadia)

Dave

Invictus14 is offline Member
    Love the Brooks Cascadia spent a lot of miles in those this past year. I have the NB Minimus trail shoe and am scared to take them on the trails I run due to all of the rocks and boulders. They run about the same as the Merrell Trail Glove, maybe a few dollars cheaper. Glad to hear that some people have got minimal shoes other than the VFF's with good reports.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I've been running in them for about 6 weeks now. I've been running minimal, vibrams and puma street kosmos for 10 months. The trail gloves are my favorite so far. I run on the trails here in San Antonio. Very rocky here in the hill country. They protect the feet pretty decent if you watch where you step. They are great on the road, but I stay away from running on the road, because I noticed the tread on the soles getting worn down after only a couple of runs. In my opinion, these are too expensive for me to wear the sole down in a few months. I wore the sole down to fast with Vibrams from running and sprinting on roads.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I have to ask -- how do you deal with the rocky hiking trails?

I did a three mile hike on an extremely rocky trail in my Vibrams, and it was slow and painful and no fun at all. Am I just a wuss? Because I ain't going back on that trail without my regular Merrell's on.

Also, my calves were extremely sore the next day, but I considered that a benefit more than anything else. Feels awesome to make them work for their steak!

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I don't run on rocky trails with vibram five fingers. I tried that once, and running was way too slow and painful. The trail gloves have more protection. A slightly thicker sole. It can still make ya jump if you hit a rock wrong, but nothing I wound consider painful or causing injury.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    I have Vibrams and the Merrell Pure Glove (the one that looks like a Mary Jane). I can hike in either on very rocky trails, but the Merrell's have a thicker sole (I have Vibram's Sprints - with the thinner sole) and are much more comfortable on rockier trails. I have had no problems with them on any of the local trails, which do tend to be rocky (I live in the Bay Area of California).
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I tried the trail gloves, but Merrell shoes always run a bit too narrow for me. The New Balance Minimus Trail is where it's at for me.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Okay, I have to ask -- how do you deal with the rocky hiking trails?

I did a three mile hike on an extremely rocky trail in my Vibrams, and it was slow and painful and no fun at all. Am I just a wuss? Because I ain't going back on that trail without my regular Merrell's on.

Also, my calves were extremely sore the next day, but I considered that a benefit more than anything else. Feels awesome to make them work for their steak!
    Most rocky trails I can do in vibrams after breaking my feet in for awhile, but there are still some types of gravel roads that give me fits. The place I have a problem is where the trail is a hard packed dirt underneath with small amounts of half inch to 1 inch rock covering it. The combo of the hard pack and the size rock makes it miserable because there is no give when you land on a stone wrong. I usually cut off to the grass when I can on the side. The same size rock in a loose packed road is fine. Frustrating because the place I used to do crossfit had most of the runs on the dirt road nearby, and that was not fun in the vibrams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast