Thread: greasing the groove for pullups? page

ultramega is offline Junior Member

Question greasing the groove for pullups?

Primal Fuel
    Vital Stats: 30 y/o male, 5' 6", 134 lbs.

I think I understand the basic concept behind "greasing the groove" to improve overall reps for pullups. I have a pullup bar on my bedroom door frame, and do a couple pull/chinups whenever I can. However, I have also been using a mix of PBF and SimpleFit and seem to have plateaued at 6 rep max pullups for a few months now.

My goal was to get to 20 strict pullups, so I tried this, "The 5RM Russian Pullup Program" by Pavel, in an effort to increase my max reps. By the middle of the second week, I started to get tendinitis in my outer elbows. At first I thought it was just muscle weakness and tried to work through it... ouch.

So after resting my elbows for a few weeks, I am giving up on that program and going back to just PBF and SimpleFit. Perhaps on a related note, I have previously tried working through the "7 Weeks to 100 Pushups" book, although my starting level took 9 weeks to complete. Anyway, I always maxed out at 30ish pushups before my arms would turn to rubber and I would fall on my face if trying to complete the first sets. Currently still need to take breaks in sets longer than 30.

My current workout is SimpleFit (level 4), and I add the planks and overhead press from PBF. Should I be trying to "grease the groove" on rest days, or only workout days? If I am supposed to do it everyday, don't the muscles need rest? Would negatives/jumping/chair assisted be beneficial at this point since I can do 6 strict, dead-hang pullups already? I guess I just don't understand what my limiting factor is (other than the tendinitis with increased rep/frequency).

I want to blame my long, skinny arms, even if my shoulders(?) are supposed to do most of the work. They have definition but no bulk. Anybody else have similar issues or experience? Advice? I want to be a lean, mean, pullup machine! Maybe I should spend a weekend doing a few pullups every hour, on the hour?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Greasing the groove worked for me for pullups. It's not about spending a whole day doing them every hour, it's about doing many of them many different times to train the neural pathways. A couple pullups, 1 at a time, spread through the day for a couple weeks.

You could also try weighted pullups.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Pull-ups are my favorite exercise! Check out this post I did about increasing reps on pullups.

Be patient and give yourself time to rest if you're getting pain in your joints. Always listen to your body!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

TimR is offline Junior Member
    Take it slow, especially if you go above body weight. You've already injured once, and it takes a while for the tendons to get used to the load.

Back in the rock climbing days, I used a program like this to really amp up the pull ups. It uses a lot of static hangs, which gets you used to bearing the load without repetitive stress. Anyway it is geared towards rock climbers/boulderers, but you could modify it for just a pullup bar.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/trai...de_10_min.html

otzi Guest
    Perfect place to ask this question. I have been doing pullups/chinups 3 days a week. I do to failure (about 5 pullups or 15 chinups) 6-10 times throughout the day, each time immediately followed by 25-40 pushups. Would I be better off doing fewer sets closer together or is spread out over 10-12 hours OK? It's real easy for me to do it spread out through the day, where I work there are pullup bars everywhere (girders, pipes, conduit, beams).
    Check this out: 2 months ago I couldn't even do 1 chinup! Grok on!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramega View Post
    Al - I really get a kick out of your videos! I have actually read that post before but it definitely bears repeating. I will take it easy, just frustrated at the earlier, easier gains and then the injury when I tried to get serious.

I really love doing pullups/chinups, they are my favorite, too. This plateau is annoying!
    Thanks! Be patient and stay the course!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Perfect place to ask this question. I have been doing pullups/chinups 3 days a week. I do to failure (about 5 pullups or 15 chinups) 6-10 times throughout the day, each time immediately followed by 25-40 pushups. Would I be better off doing fewer sets closer together or is spread out over 10-12 hours OK? It's real easy for me to do it spread out through the day, where I work there are pullup bars everywhere (girders, pipes, conduit, beams).
    Check this out: 2 months ago I couldn't even do 1 chinup! Grok on!
    If you couldn't even do 1 chin-up 2 months ago and now you're doing 15, I'd say you're doing something right. Keep it up!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I began doing multiple days of pull-ups and I experienced the same thing with tendinitis in one of my elbows. I am not sure if it is more from the pull-ups or pushups but locking the elbows frequently with resistance will definitely do it for me.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Tendonitis is an absolute bitch, so be careful. I got in in January and I am still dealing with it - and it only started getting better after I started finally seeing a physio.

A couple of things I have learned in the process:
    1/ tendons dont like large load variations - so start & progress slowly, and - especially if you are older than 30-40y old - dont assume you can jump right in again after a few weeks break
    2/ do some specific strengthening exercises - I have been doing wrist-curls for the last months, starting at 2kg and now at 6kg, with a 3x15 reps / 6sec move / 6sec hold scheme rehab | Thor Falk (this was what eventually allowed me to improve my tendonitis)
    3/ do not jump onto the bar if you can't do positives, as the load-max can be a multiple of your body-weight

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I am assuming this is what has been happening to me for the last 20 or more years. In my late teens/early 20s, I started going to the gym after working the night shift. I was "working out" and after a couple of months, I could barely lift my arms past 90 degrees. The pain in both shoulders was immense. I felt like I was walkng around with a dagger stuck in each shoulder. I could just barely do my job and had to modify my movements just to get by.

The pain lingered for several years. I mentioned it to my doc and he prescribed Celebrex. I began the dosage and that night while I was trying to sleep, I kept having a drowning sensation, so I stopped the meds and just dealt with the pain. It did go away and it was so gradual that I didn't realize I wasn't hurting any longer until one day it just dawned on me that it was gone.

Needless to say, I have stayed away from the gym since. About a year and a half ago, I did attempt the 100 push up challenge. After about the 3rd week, the pain in my shoulders was so intense that, once again, I had to bail on the exercise.

I did get myself one of those door hanging pull up bars Friday and have been walking by it and doing a pull up and/or a couple of chin ups just to see how it goes.