Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eat Fat to Loose Fat? page

HollyinAus Guest

Ok, so I know what everyone is going to say but I am just needing some clear answers! thanks so much in advance....

I am still scared about eating fat when I want to loose weight. I am more than happy to eat it when I get to my ideal weight, but I have 15 pounds to loose and I am worried that by eating say 90 grams of fat per day will slow this process...wont my body burn dietary fat first before it begins to burn stored body fat? How many grams of fat per day would you eat to loose weight...I am five foot 8 and weight 160 pounds, I try to stick to around 1200 calories per day, which is easy eating primal....Also does anyone have any ifo on coconut oil as a fat source and how you could incorporate it into your weight loss efforts/foods apart from using it to sautee etc?

Any advice would be great, thanks

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

And I think getting hung up on the calories thing is not the right way to go. If you've stopped eating all the grains and processed foods, you will start to listen to what your body wants. Never having been a huge meat eater, my body tells me that lamb and beef are the things it needs.

I agree with klcarbaugh's advice - but ultimately we are all a bit different, so listen to your body!

HollyinAus Guest

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate your assistance....

so I should only be eating 70 grams of protein per day? how did you calculate that? I am moderatly active, do crossfit three times a week max and walk everyday..is this going to be enough for me?...also if I am travelling a lot what are some portable forms of fat apart from cooking my meat in fat etc...would avocados be an option? nuts are bad for me, as I eat the whole bag at once! lower carbs def siut me, I try to keep them below 60 mto 70 most days, have days where they are only 25 and then some basically no carbs days...my body type stores fat as soon as I look at a carb, but fat seems to be ok to maintain, thats why I had the questions about loosing with so much fat in the diet...thanks so much for your help

HollyinAus Guest

I guess with years of dieting I have lost contact with my body and knowing when to eat etc....I was into the whole body building scene for quite a few years where they religiously preach about eating every few hours, always over 1500 calories per day otherwise your metabolism will slow etc, so I am trying to re train my mind as well as my body....I do eat alot of protein as I am always hungry it seems..sometimes 200 grams or over in a day! probably not good for my body I would thing but if I am hungry isnt it better to reach for protein and not carbs or fat?

Tarlach is offline Member

Fat make you feel full, so is ideal for getting rid of hunger. Fat is good.

I'm finding it much easier to put on muscle eating lots of fat, than I ever did on lots of meals and carbs.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

HollyinAus Guest

what fat sources are you using for snacks?

Tarlach is offline Member

Cold pork belly (from the night before) is a great snack.

I like stew, leftovers, or meat (ie. bacon) fried in lard for snacks.

Beef jerky is also good, but is best with leaner meat...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Fat is no better than carbs for satiety. Maybe worse.

On an experiment I did, three days in a row of very high protein, carbs, and fats, I was hungriest on the high fat day. In fact, by 3PM I gave up. The high carb day required 2800 calories to not feel hungry. Very high protein, and I can do 1600 cals, no problemo. And then subtract 200 cals for TEF.

Only protein staves off hunger.

I agree that fat is not the enemy like we've been taught. But it doesn't help for weight loss. Been there, done that.

GotPrimal Guest

OTB,

Dont you think its a little difficult to deal in all or nothing statements like you did in your previous post?

Protein may have worked for you, and for your satiety/metabolism. And thats great.

I dont think it would be advantageous to blanket label protein as the "only thing that helps with weight loss, and hunger" for EVERYONE.

JulieD Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Actually, there are plenty of us eating lots of fat and losing fat pounds. There are also studies showing that the liver needs "new" fat to process fat: http://mednews.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/5258.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast