Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: oatmeal page

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Sorry for 2 question posts in a row. What is people's take on oatmeal? Other than the "it's a grain and grains are bad" route, I recall reading in several places that it is less refined and less nutrient inhibiting than other grains. Sort of like if you had to go with a grain, oatmeal would be the better choice? The nutrition label just says "rolled oats," no added sugars etc. What do people here think of oatmeal?

Also - which would be healthier, or should I say least unhealthy - a bowl of oats or an apple (same carb value). An apple is natural but made of fructose, is that any worse, better than, or just as bad as oatmeal?

bobbylight Guest

An apple is better for you. You are on the wrong forum if you are asking this question to be honest.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Bobbylight - I have been following MDA for over a year. We all learn new things constantly, I am most recently interested in fructose. Please get off your high horse, it is an honest question.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Erm, as far as grains go they are all bad for you. None are better, but I've read a lot about soaking them to make them less toxic. Check out WAPF for more info on the proper prep for grains.

I made my boys some quinoa flakes today as a sub for oatmeal. All of my research says quinoa is not a grain, and Mark has a post on quinoa where his only complaint is the carb content, which frankly I'm not concerned about for my toddlers!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

It's like the difference between having paraplegia and quadriplegia to use examples with hyperbole.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Rice before potato? How come? (actually curious, not a snark!)

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

maba is offline Senior Member

Just yesterday, I read on PaNu (Dr.Kurt Harris' blog) that if one has to eat starch, then it's better to stick with white rice or potatoes. I was going to post a question today about the difference between white rice and brown rice. My husband is not primal so I've been making him brown rice (soaked and fermented) and almost eliminated other grains. And now I'm wondering if white rice is a better option. Katie, any idea why white rice would be better than brown - less phytic acid perhaps?

Shouldn't oats be down in the list since it contains gluten? I don't know, just asking...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

A grain is a grain is a grain.....well, almost.

We argued about quinoa recently here. While not a grass seed, it is a plant seed, like buckwheat is. And they have all the lectins, phytates, n-6 fats, and carbs that all seeds have.

Most of the lectins, phytates, and glutens are in the germ. That's why white rice is "better" for you than brown.

k, I'm curious why you say corn is the least obnoxious grain. But I agree with your lists, otherwise.

musajen is offline Junior Member

halloweenbing - I vaguely remember a post from Mark about sensible indulgences and steel cut oats was one of those - thought I don't remember why.

Comparing the nutritional info of steel cut oats and a small red delicious apple, you have the same amount of fiber, similar carbs levels (oats have 7 more g), the downside of the apple is the sugar contents (17g compared to 0g in the oatmeal). The apple does appear to have more nutritional value, providing Vit A, C, Calcium, and Iron where the oats provide only calcium and iron. Granted, I'm using The Daily Plate on Livestrong.com so there's no guarantee they're providing a complete nutritional profile.

Choosing between an apple or oatmeal, I'd probably opt for half the apple and pair it with cheese or a nut butter. I think that's the more sensible indulgence.

I'm curious about the fructose issue too.

JulieD Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm one who considers steel cut oats a "sensible indulgence" from time to time. I wouldn't have a bowl, but about 1/4 cup, along with a protein. I was eating it a few days a week along with eggs in the morning, but I've since cut back and will probably have it once every few weeks if the desire hits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast