Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiot proof steak page

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member

Idiot proof steak

Shop Now
    I can cook a lot of things, and cook them well, but for some reason I tend to fuck up a steak. I have a couple of beautiful filet mignons for this evening and the plan was to wrap in bacon and grill, weather permitting. Otherwise I'll broil them. Are there any tricks to this that will improve my abilities? Also, my (insane) boyfriend likes his steak well done. I like it still mooing. How to make sure they both come out right and tender as well?

Nion is offline Senior Member
    First of all, smack your bf upside the head. Force feed him still-quivering cow!

Steak is easy. High heat, and quick, don't play with it!

YouTube - Cookalong Live | How To Cook A Steak | Gordon Ramsay on Channel 4
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

primalfamily is offline Member
    I use a grill and a smoker(treager) to cook my steaks to perfection. I love cooking 2" thick steaks.

the trick on any steak is to get a hot fire and have a oven or smoker set to 325 degrees.

I put 30sec on really hot grill (just enough to get a good grill sizzling mark)on each side and put it in the oven/smoker. 5 min to 12 min depending on how well you like it. 5min for rare and 12 for medium well. (this does depend on thickness. thinner steak will require less time)

you can serve as it is from the oven or I like to put it back on the grill for few sec just to finish it. I only use montreal or salt/pepper seasoning.

if you want to do the whole thing in a grill, just have fire going on half of the grill and make it hot. and use the other half for the oven with top closed as the oven. it works, but tougher to be consistent

I love my treager though. makes it so easy.
    Last edited by primalfamily; 05-06-2011 at 09:37 AM.

GreenLightJerky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalfamily View Post
    Its my next grill purchase. Which wood do you use?

As for the steak, make sure you start cooking your BF steak first so it has plenty of time to get well done!
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    And make sure your steak has been out of the fridge for a while and is close to room temperature as well. I usually shoot for an hour and a half or so.

Quote Originally Posted by primalfamily View Post
    I use a grill and a smoker(treager) to cook my steaks to perfection. I love cooking 2" thick steaks.

the trick on any steak is to get a hot fire and have a oven or smoker set to 325 degrees.

I put 30sec on really hot grill (just enough to get a good grill sizzling mark)on each side and put it in the oven/smoker. 5 min to 12 min depending on how well you like it. 5min for rare and 12 for medium well. (this does depend on thickness. thinner steak will require less time)

you can serve as it is from the oven or I like to put it back on the grill for few sec just to finish it. I only use montreal or salt/pepper seasoning.

if you want to do the whole thing in a grill, just have fire going on half of the grill and make it hot. and use the other half for the oven with top closed as the oven. it works, but tougher to be consistent

These tips sound good, and I'll definitely bookmark them. Unfortunately the grill I have now is a bit of a distance from the apartment. We're buying a natural gas grill for the house when we move in. I'm thinking the covered oven top is the best option right now. Thanks!

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    Take steak out of fridge to get to room temperature. Heat a grill pan or cast iron skillet on the stove on high heat until smoking. Place steaks in pan and sear on each side for one minute. Transfer pan to a preheated 425 degree oven. Cook in oven for 6 mins(rare to med rare) and 10 mins(well done). Remove staeks from oven and let them rest for 5 mins. for the juices to redistribute. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    And make sure your steak has been out of the fridge for a while and is close to room temperature as well. I usually shoot for an hour and a half or so.
    I think this may be my problem. I always forget to bring them up to room temp then overcook them. I'll have to set an alarm to remind myself to take them out.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    is it grass fed? I believe I read grassfed meat needs to be cooked low and slow or it`s tougher than conventional beef.
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    is it grass fed? I believe I read grassfed meat needs to be cooked low and slow or it`s tougher than conventional beef.
    That's true and also depends on the cut too. I got a couple grass fed London broil steaks that had zero marbling and were very dense. Even after marinading them and grilling them low and slow it was like eating seasoned shoe leather.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast