Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Vegetarian going Primal! My 14 Day Challenge. page

TimF is offline Member

Former Vegetarian going Primal! My 14 Day Challenge.

First, you can read my introduction thread here if you wish. Anyway, I've challenged myself to try going strict Primal for 14 days. I'd like to go longer, but I may not be as strict after the two weeks. I started yesterday. Here is my log:

May 5'th 2011

Breakfast - Two hamburgers and a mix of peas/corn/green beans plus broccoli fried in the leftover fat.

Lunch - Made a hamburger and then fried three eggs in the leftover fat. I also fried some leftover vegetables from earlier in butter. (So far, everything has been delicious... but eating this much animal fat seems crazy to me at the time!)

Snack - While on break at work, I had some dried fruit and nuts. I didn't plan on having either, but there was nothing else I could've had and I keep these in the car.

When I got home from work, I was surprised that I didn't feel like having the late dinner I usually do. I guess this diet really does fill ya up.

TimF is offline Member
    May 6'th 2011

Breakfast - Pretty much the same as my lunch from yesterday: Made a hamburger and then fried three eggs in the leftover fat. I also fried some (peas/corn/brussel sprouts) in butter. (Eggs fried in leftover hamburger fat are delicious!)

Lunch - Two hamburgers and... I forget. Should've written it down sooner. :P

Snack - Dried fruit and nut mix. Also, a little peanut butter. I know that I need to try and cut out these foods.

I'm pretty sure there was something else I ate too, but my memory is failing me.
    Last edited by TimF; 05-07-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Don't have peas or corn. They're not primal at all, and they're bad for you.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Gotta give up the peas and corn. Snow peas would be ok, because they're meant to be eaten whole, but if the legume has to be peeled to get at the inside, it's not primal.

Corn is a grain and eating it is a waste of time. People don't digest it well and 99% of it comes out whole! Save your money and buy some spinach or chard instead
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum. Hope your 14 day challenge works well for you!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back to meat eating! where in Jersey are you? if you're central/south you have some good farms for grass fed beef if you decide to go that route later on (you should, but definitely not right away, get everything else in line first)

TimF is offline Member
    Note taken about peas/corn. I'll get some other veggies when I go food shopping tomorrow. I always knew they weren't the best veggies for you anyway, but they're usually what the rest of the family brings home.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Welcome back to meat eating! where in Jersey are you? if you're central/south you have some good farms for grass fed beef if you decide to go that route later on (you should, but definitely not right away, get everything else in line first)
    I'm in North Jersey, but I could always go up to New York State for that (it's not that far).

TimF is offline Member
    May 7'th 2011

Pre-Breakfast - I didn't mention this before, but so far I've been really tired on this diet. So today, I've decided to start my day out with some carbs: a banana, blueberry, peanut butter smoothie. (again, I know I need to cut out the peanut butter)

Breakfast - Three eggs fried in a tablespoon of butter.

Lunch - A hamburger and three eggs.

Snack - I randomly had a tablespoon of peanut butter and a small handful of raisins (maybe a dozen).

Lunch2? - Salmon and mushrooms fried in butter (Salmon was previously cooked a day or two ago in the oven, but then I wasn't hungry so it sat).

I feel as if my mental fog has lifted. Not sure whether if I'm getting over carb flu, the raisins did it for me, or it was one of the caffeine (+ herbs that're supposed to be good for energy) pills that I took throughout the day.

Snack (at work) - Dried fruit and nut mix.

Note: I think I'm going to not count these past couple of days because I have not been 100% primal. I want to try to go 100% for 14 days.
    Last edited by TimF; 05-07-2011 at 10:10 PM.

TimF is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Corn is a grain and eating it is a waste of time. People don't digest it well and 99% of it comes out whole! Save your money and buy some spinach or chard instead
    So I decided to peak at my, er... droppings yesterday and, sure enough, I saw whole kernels of corn in there. So yeah, no more of that.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heheh. If only all non-primal foods were quite so obvious.

You'll definitely be tired at first, it's the transition to lower-carb eating. (You may not feel like you're eating super-low carb but it's probably lower than your old diet, after all.) Try a forum search for "low-carb flu" and you'll see it's very common.

Some people get over it within days, for some it takes weeks. My impression is that the stricter you are about staying low carb, the faster you get past it, though. Otherwise you sort of keep spiking in and out of the low/high carb zones...
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast