Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Verdict on Rice? page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Final Verdict on Rice?

Primal Fuel
    I'm headed to a sushi place today for lunch. I'd rather just eat the normal rolls rather than picking the rice away. I've read that rice isn't all that bad...thoughts?

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    In the scheme of things a cup or two of rice is not going harm anything with one meal. Continue on as always afterwards. I do sushi a couple times a month and probably consume 3cups or more ( I can pack away the sushi!) of rice and have had no ill effects, feeling or physical. I usually know ahead of time when we're going so I do a 24hr fast before eating since I know how much I will consume.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You're fine.

That being said, lately I've been eating a bit more white rice trying to generally up my carbs, but I find that when I eat white rice my meal seems to take longer to digest, like I feel it in my stomach longer and it's slightly unpleasant. Doesn't happen when I eat sweet potatoes or some veg starch... anybody know why? I'm going to keep seeing if it happens and if it does I won't use it as a starch source much more, or I'll eat considerably less of it (currently only about 2 cups every few days, not daily)

dado Guest
    A few grains of rice will not hurt

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I eat rice a few times per month...I think it's fairly innocuous if you are insulin sensitive and don't have any major gut issues. I wouldn't make it a staple of my diet, but in the occasional chipotle bowl in weeks when I want more carbs...sure. It's a heckuva better choice than pasta, IMO!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I didn't discover the delights of basmati rice until after going primal. I think as long as you stick to white rice, and it's an occasional indulgence, you should be fine.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty harmless: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

I have a semi-related question. I eat a pretty large amount of starch post-workout from potatoes and sweet potatoes. I use these sources because they seem to be the best/most nutrient dense sources of starch. I ocassionaly also have a small serving of rice cereal in this meal.

Anyway, on to my question: what about corn? I know it is an evil grain, but is it an innocuous source of starch like white rice, or does it have anti-nutrients etc. that should be avoided? I just want to know how anal I need to be in avoiding things that contain corn when eating out and such.

Pooka is offline Member
    I probably have about one serving of rice a week, and have not had any problems with stalling my weight loss. After I hit my ideal weight (not sure where that is yet) I may eat it more frequently. I also eat sweet and white potatoes, but don't let my carbs get over 100g per day, and mostly stay closer to 50g. It's one of those individual things, like dairy. Some tolerate it, some don't.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, all!

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can take this with a grain of...er...rice, if you'd like. But I've been eating what most folks in the primalsphere would consider obscene amounts of rice. It varies a bit, but on a typical week I'll probably have rice 5 out of 7 days, and often at more than one meal on a given day. Typical portion sizes are around a cup these days (I don't really measure). I've noticed no ill effects from this pattern of consumption. I also eat 1-2 sweet or white potatoes per day, and a banana, an apple, sometimes an orange, some prunes, cashews, almonds...all part of an evil plot to keep my carbs up in the 150g range, where I feel happiest and healthiest.

Enjoy your rice with the sushi! I'll bet $1 it won't hurt you one bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast