Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still suffer 'afternoon blues' after a primal lunch page

HERC0 is offline Member

Still suffer 'afternoon blues' after a primal lunch

Primal Fuel
    I usually fast until around 13:00 drinking only water, and then have my daily salad for lunch. As far as I am aware it's primal, with high fat and fairly low carb (the avocado has the most carbohydrate but without it how would I get enough fat?), but I still feel as though I could literally fall asleep sitting at my computer desk at work as soon as 30 minutes to an hour afterwards. Is there a reason for this?

Here's the FitDay analysis:

HERC0 is offline Member
    There's also often half a red pepper chopped up in there!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    The carb calculation seems off to me. 25g in one avocado? :/

Have you tried eating a small breakfast in the morning or a small snack at your desk when you get to work? Also are you getting enough sleep? do you still feel tired when you get home from work?
    Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 05-06-2011 at 05:09 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been doing this? What about the rest of your day? Any metabolic issues? Any cardiovascular issues? Exercise? Did you adapt to low carb before starting IF?

Or maybe your job is just boring
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

dado Guest
    Just try to cheer up a bit.

Some grams of alcohol, maybe add to your chart there.

HERC0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    The carb calculation seems off to me. 25g in one avocado? :/

Have you tried eating a small breakfast in the morning or a small snack at your desk when you get to work? Also are you getting enough sleep? do you still feel tired when you get home from work?
    The carb calculation does seem a bit high. I went back and looked at the carbs in a California (dark skin) Avocado and it only has 11.8g, I doubt there could be that much of a difference?

I've not tried eating a small breakfast before work but I could try that tomorrow and see how I get on.

As for sleep on a bad night I'll get about 6 hours but most nights I get between 7 and 8 hours. After I get over the 'blues' I'm not really tired for the rest of the day until bed time!

HERC0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    How long have you been doing this? What about the rest of your day? Any metabolic issues? Any cardiovascular issues? Exercise? Did you adapt to low carb before starting IF?

Or maybe your job is just boring
    Haha my job certainly is boring!

I only started doing this at the beginning of last week, mainly because I found that I was struggling to get up early enough to make a breakfast! But I don't find that I struggle to last until 13:00 at all, I wouldn't say I'm starving myself. As for the rest of my day, I finish work any time from 17:00-18:00, have dinner around 19:00 and only exercise is walking the dog - I struggle to motivate myself to do much more.

I'm not aware of any metabolic or cardiovascular issues - would I need to ask for an overall health check-up at the doctor for that?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    If you've only been doing this for a week, you're suffering from the 'carb flu'. You'll get over it. Could take anywhere from a few more days to a few weeks (for me it was about 3 weeks).

In the meantime, maybe cheat and have a cup of black coffee after lunch to keep you going past 3:00?

Is your lunch time at work long enough to get out for a walk around the block? If not, sneak off to a private space and do a few pushups and squats for 5 minutes.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    No, I've been doing this for 4 months and the same thing happens to me. I've tried more carbs, less carbs, more fat less fat and still get the post lunch sag. Less fat seemed to help the most.

Overall I am finding, contrary to most on this forum I do NOT do well with large meals regardless of composition. I was someone who discovered mini meals a decade before CW made it popular and I might go back
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I am a grazer too. I can usually wait til midmorning before I eat, but after that, I need to give myself permission to eat when I want to.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast