Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower abs portion sticks out - help page

walkingbird is offline Member

Lower abs portion sticks out - help

Shop Now
    I have an unusual question. I'm a 24 year old female and I've been doing balanced training for almost a year (strength, isometric exercises, moderate cardio, dancing). I can't complain about my abs, they are solid and I can see the muscles outlined, but the lower portion sticks out . It's hard to hide it under clothes, and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It looks funny and annoying. The layer of fat is minimal, barely pinchable.

Any ideas?
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    lower ab work so the upper abs quit smooshing everything out?

MetalMayhem is offline Member
    I am male and have the exact same issue. I'm only 16 and have a six pack, I imagine around 7% bodyfat (like you, barely pinchable) yet my stomach "pushes out" by my lower abs. when i stand up taller it helps but still. when i was younger and had a bit more fat I thought I was pretty chubby cuz of it, but there still wasnt much fat there. When I haven't eaten in a long time (fasting) it goes away. I think it's just the food in my stomach pushing out and since I constantly eat, it's always there haha.

And I do a lot of ab work too, never got it to go away. planks, crunches, leg lifts, "ab straps" etc. worked on it for a year and it's still there, just really strong! lol

walkingbird is offline Member
    lower ab work so the upper abs quit smooshing everything out? - err, not sure I understand this.

MetalMayhem
    Well, if you're 16 you have a good chance of outgrowing it in a few years as your bones and muscles finish developing
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."

sinbarbossa is offline Junior Member
    I have this immense rib cage, which gives me a natural, ugly, barrel chest, and then I have a little waist. When I take a deep breath, my ribs stick out as wide as my shoulders. Anyway, when I flex my abs, my upper abs they stick out as far as my chest, and my lower abs do nothing at all.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Other than it being related to your posture, I know no other way around it. I've been that way all my life(43 now) if I take on a lazy posture it's more pronounced. I also have big abs on top of it.
    Last edited by pyro13g; 05-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Invictus14 is offline Member
    If you work a lot of chest does your chest stick out more? If you work your biceps hard, do they look bigger? When you do back, did you notice that your back is wider?

If you work your abs a lot, like forcing them to contract similar to a bicep curl, your going to tear the muscles and your body will naturally heal, in turn making them bigger. This will occur more if you add weight to your ab exercises. This may be why you notice your abs sticking out.
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    My guess is it's probably related to bad posture. Got any pics?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    My guess is it's probably related to bad posture. Got any pics?
    My guess too... there was an article in Yoga Journal last month about abs and how most ab exercises engage the psoas and other hip flexor muscles (which is why planks are so good because they do not do this) - the psoas in particular attaches to the spine and if its tight, it'll pull your abdomen forward making you look like you have a bit of a pot belly.

You can work to fixing that by doing some hip flexor stretches & doing ab exercises that do not engage them.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

chia is offline Senior Member
    frog reverse curls are cool...this really does help disengage those hips flexors..... lie on a mat or bench, let 90 degree bent legs fall out to the side like a frog...and curl your legs over your chest...very slowly release...the closer your feet are to your butt the more difficult it is......on a bench is cool because holding on to the top of the bench keeps you focused... OR, if you lay on the ground and held onto something heavy behind you, same dif. Although not truly 'functional'.. it does hit a tricky spot.. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast