Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does fruit replenish muscle glycogen? page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

does fruit replenish muscle glycogen?

Shop Now
    I heard that it goes straight to the liver, but it sure feels like it replenishes the muscles.

I'm thinking fruit/simple carbs for during the day, getting you up and running and refueled quickly.

Rice, potatoes, and other slow burning carbs for around bedtime and for long, extended periods of hard activity.

This is asuming fruit does refuel the muscles...again it feels like it does IME but i've heard otherwise.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that fructose is converted to liver glycogen and stored for later use in the form of glucose derivatives while glucose is converted directly to muscle glycogen for immediate use.

I think the problem most people are concerned with is related to excess fructose and an already topped-off level of liver glycogen. In this case the fructose would be stored as body fat I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, my question was answered in the duplicate topic I made on the other board. Figured I'd post it twice just to be sure...I was getting mized results with google. It's hard seperating bro-science from fact sometimes.

But how does one deplete lver glycogen in the first place? Is it used up during excercise too?

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Wikipedia has a diagram even:

Also, most fruit isn't pure fructose. There's a significant amount of glucose, either free or in the form of sucrose (or, in the case of bananas, starch). And glucose most surely does replenish muscle glycogen stores.

Liver glycogen is depleted by not eating. Any time when you're not digesting a meal, up until about 12 hours of fasting, you're fueled by liver glycogen. As the muscles start to take up blood glucose to replenish themselves, liver glycogen will be providing whatever glucose isn't coming in from food.
    Last edited by Doddibot; 05-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Fructose isn't readily converted into glucose and excess fructose that tops off liver fructose messes with leptin signaling and other health problems. That being said some fruit is fine, obviously. I really don't know how much will top off your liver stores but Robb Wolf did a damn fine job explaining that starchy tubers just do so much better for people than fruit, even if its not a workout thing.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoBerserker View Post
    Fructose isn't readily converted into glucose and excess fructose that tops off liver fructose messes with leptin signaling and other health problems. That being said some fruit is fine, obviously. I really don't know how much will top off your liver stores but Robb Wolf did a damn fine job explaining that starchy tubers just do so much better for people than fruit, even if its not a workout thing.
    where can i find said info:?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Don't know any links on studies sorry. I heard it in several of Robb Wolf's podcast, one epside was 9. But he explains this stuff several times, perhaps you can try searching his site. Also, Matt Lalonde is big on the dangers of too much fructose, maybe search for his stuff too. But basically the way Robb Wolf laid it out it (he explained it using science!) became clear that starchy tubers were superior... er i just tried searching myself and its hard to pull up other episodes besides that one which i previously wrote down. I can't remember every episode where he talks about this stuff.... its not like i write it down..... OK, maybe i am a geek and i do write some of it down, but i'm obviously not very good at it. lol.
    This may help too:
    Fructose

otzi Guest
    Are potatoes starchy tubers?

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Are potatoes starchy tubers?
    No, but potatoes are.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Yes potatoes are, but they are not the best choice and can cause other problems. Yams/ sweet potatoes are best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast