Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress Report page

Nicator is online now Senior Member

Progress Report

Primal Fuel
    Logging progress and observations with the disciplines I've been working on: 5/3/1 strength training, Primal Blueprint diet, and Intermittent Fasting (a la LeanGains).

I'm male, 33 years old, 5'8". I've just started my third cycle of 5/3/1.

I started at 156lbs, 16% BF. Today I'm at 155lbs, 14.2%.

Following 5/3/1 strictly, doing a triumvirate workout 4X/week. I'm rarely in the gym longer than 30 minutes.

Main lifts are progressing linearly, with the exception of benchpress, which I had to reset. I'm okay with this because I've tightened up my form. Also, this is the first time I've trained my shoulders diligently, and they are feeling much, much stronger (I've heard shoulderpress progress can work against benchpress progress).

Assistance work is mostly abdominal warm-ups, back extensions, rows, weighted pullups and dips. I do interval sprints weekly (in the form of skimboarding). Some judo weekly too, pretty good core workout.

I'm having no difficulty adhering to the Primal Blueprint way of eating. I eat a ton of eggs, lots of grass-fed steaks, butter, coconut butter, yams, good quality sausages, sauerkraut, a ton of greek yogurt, apples, carrot, salads, barramundi fish, kippers, lots of whole milk, dark chocolate, and a multi-vitamin. Trying to work more bonemarrow and organ meat into the routine.

Initially, I was trying to do very low carb, but I feel better all around since I've started eating a big yam after my weight training sessions. Last weekend, I was craving Fiveguys like nuts, so I had bunless burger and boatload of fries with vinegar after my squat session. Might make this a habit...I think if anything, I might not be eating enough.

Will be thrilled if progress remains this linear.

No new BF% until June, but I had to buy new jeans. Down to 28" waist, and I just managed my first muscleup tonight. Cheers.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Good progress dude, but I would consider doing three lifting sessions a week if your bench continues to suffer - that and the overhead press should improve each other, not hinder. Watch that you're not overtraining your arms.

Thank you both for your feedback.

As it happens, I've just cut back to 3 lifting sessions per week in the interest of avoiding overtraining or excessive inflammation. I've decided that I'm not going for any quick fix, this is long term training, so I'd rather err on the side of plenty of recovery time.

Fat seems to be melting off, and I'm trying to prevent strength loss by keeping the weight on the barbell. Once I've achieved and learned to maintain, say, 10% BF, I'll set my mind to putting on a few pounds of muscle in earnest.

Cheers

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Good progress dude, but I would consider doing three lifting sessions a week if your bench continues to suffer - that and the overhead press should improve each other, not hinder. Watch that you're not overtraining your arms.
    My experience with the PBF routine is that push-ups before overhead press would cause me to be able to do less of the latter than if I were to reverse the order -- in which case I'd be able to do less push-ups! I suspect it's fatigue in the triceps, and maybe why Starting Strength has bench and shoulder press on different days. So if done on different days the two will complement each other since some muscles are worked in common, but on same day one will suffer because of fatigue maybe?

EDIT: congratulations on the progress, by the way!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    My experience with the PBF routine is that push-ups before overhead press would cause me to be able to do less of the latter than if I were to reverse the order -- in which case I'd be able to do less push-ups! I suspect it's fatigue in the triceps, and maybe why Starting Strength has bench and shoulder press on different days. So if done on different days the two will complement each other since some muscles are worked in common, but on same day one will suffer because of fatigue maybe?

EDIT: congratulations on the progress, by the way!
    Yes, that's right. At the risk of sounding somewhat non-cultish.... the PBF routine, such as it is, leaves a lot to be desired. But it is at least better than sitting on the sofa all day.

149lbs
    13.3%

Seems LBM might be down by a pound or two, depending on the waterweight margin of error, but I feel as strong as ever. New PRs include:

2 consecutive muscleups
    deadlift 250lbs X 3
    shoulderpress 120lbs X 1 (huge improvement on this movement)

I might be pressing the fat loss a little too hard, because there have been some days where I've felt absolutely bottomed out in terms of energy. The linear loss of bodyfat is intoxicating, though...

I stopped updating this because I lost posting privileges (wtf?) and frankly, because I was a little lost for a while.

I dieted down to 12% BF according to the gizmo, but I think it might have been lower.

[IMG][/IMG]

That was about the lowest point over the summer. The only lift that didn't stall out was deadlift. Not only did strenth gains cease, but I discovered I simply don't have enough muscle to even look good at that level of leanness (forget about sub 10% hahaha).

Clearly I wasn't eating enough, but I thought I was. I was satiated.

What I've changed at this point: I've ditched the Leangains style fasting. Good tool for dieting IMO, but the appetite suppression seems to be too powerful for me to maintain muscle, let alone gain.

I've ditched low carb. I'm *trying* to eat more carbs now, and actually I would consider it bulking. In that picture, I weigh about 145, I'm currently up to 162ish. I eat a dozen eggs a day, usually a hunk of steak or fish, and I've been making pumpkin and banana breads with buckwheat flour to try and get more clean carbs around workout times. Drinking milk/whey shakes after workouts.

I no longer bench press, I prefer dumbbell shoulder presses and pushups for chest development. New deadlift 1RM is 305. Squat is 235.

Definitely carrying fat now, but I think I just need more muscle mass and the increased metabolism that comes with it to stay lean, so for now, I'm bulking.

Oh, and it's nice to have some libido again.

Strike that, make it 240lbs for the Squat 1RM.

I thought I had 2 in me, but the bar had other ideas.

Thank goodness for squat racks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast