Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB on a budget page

atomickim is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm extremely new and I'm still waiting for my copy of PB.

In the meantime, though, I'm wondering how to prioritize food if you're on a tight budget.

We are a family of 5 and I try to keep groceries to about $125/week. I haven't bought anything processed in quite some time, but let me tell you, soaked steel cut oats for breakfast and beans and rice for dinner come in super handy for us...until now.

I've been following a traditional foods diet for awhile now. I've had to cut out dairy because I couldn't afford the raw milk (and the drive to and from to get it). What do I do about the grassfed meat? To be honest, I've only been buying meat lately if it's less than $2/lb. I hate the thought of CAFO meat, but I'm not sure if it's an okay second or if I should just cut it out entirely and just do eggs. But gah. Only eggs just isn't that appealing and I know my kids would definitely dislike it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough." PB, even cutting corners, is not a cheap diet.

Buy CAFO meat and conventional eggs.

While not pure, I'd say if you have to add some non-animal calories, aim for sweet potatoes, lentils, and white rice. Frankly, I'm not adverse to regular potatoes for a maintenance diet, as compared to weight loss. Do you like yogurt? Make your own. If you leave the whey in, you'll get a gallon of yogurt for $3.

Do whatya gotta do, just hew as closely to Perfection as YOU are able to.

That's great news! I would love to be able to buy a side of beef, but it's such a big initial investment. Maybe one day...

Thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I too buy a lot of cheap meats, but eggs are always organic, because it just tastes better. I don't think I will never buy grass-fed beef... so don't worry, just invest on some fish oil instead!

Do you live in America, and near Costco?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

rach is offline Junior Member

This is so timely. If all goes well (fingers crossed) I&#39;ll be starting medical school in the fall and will be living entirely off of student loans for the next four years. I&#39;m thinking I&#39;ll invest in a nice crockpot, so that I can throw together easy meals with cheap cuts of meat. Any other suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated!

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

Eating Primal (and pastured) can be done on a small budget. I had been living on about $18K a year and was able to buy pastured beef, boar and eggs. Sometimes you can&#39;t do it all at once. Really it&#39;s just a matter of finding really good deals in your area, and doing the best you can until then. Seek out local farmers or butchers. I get my eggs through the Amish for only $1.50 a dozen. Buy in bulk and split with other families. Really in the end it&#39;s about shopping smart.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Do you shop at whole foods and farmers markets? (might be out of season for farmers markets but have great deals)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Work out more!

Where ya been, arturo?

There&#39;s a farmer&#39;s market here, almost 25 years of existence. They have a web page with lists of items sold and the only things under "Meat" were jerky and fish. No eggs, no mammal meat.

The Whole Foods closest to me is still about an hour away and dragging three kids ages 6-4-1 through it is a nightmare. So I don&#39;t go often. There is a Costco in Albuquerque about 2 hours away, I&#39;ve never been...

The local farmers market is done. The one in Santa Fe (an hour away) is still going, but we don&#39;t get down there often. And really, the prices are crazy high. I buy most of my non-perishables and produce through a co-op. Meat from Smith&#39;s (Kroger). I can get fairly local eggs from Taos for just under $4/dozen, so that works. It&#39;s just the meat that I worry about. We can almost always get chuck roasts and pork for under $2/lb and whole chickens for $1/lb. My husband is hunting this weekend - hopefully that will be productive!

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

Wow, the amish guy who comes here charges 4.50 for a dozen eggs

but this is manhattan

the rest of the country is cheap as hell i guess

lucky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast