Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has a great Goat Recipe? page

Karma is offline Senior Member

Who has a great Goat Recipe?

I just found a source for local frsh goat meat and I want to try it. Who has a kick-arse way to cook it?

Nion is offline Senior Member
    What cut? You can pretty much treat it the same as lamb/mutton
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

jimdunk is offline Junior Member
    The best goat I've ever had was in St. Johns/St. Thomas. Do a Google for Carribean goat stew recipes and give that a try.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Reviving this thread!

Just got my paws on some goat chops (the goaty equivalent of rib-eyes). The butcher said goat is one of his most favorite meats so I'm kind of excited about it. I thought a highly seasoned dish might disguise the species a little. DH is iffy on lamb bc he doesn't like the idea of eating baby animals, but I'd like him to at least taste the dish before he asks what he's eating, lol. Maybe a spice rub on the grill?
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat baby animals. I eat BIG animals that haven't reached their full potential.

Goat recipes are all over the internet.

Just one site of thousands......Abercrombie's Goat Page - Recipes and Goat Meat Cookery
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    Goat is great. Think of it somewhere between beef and lamb, and cook accordingly (also realizing it is probably pastured which will mean you don't want to dry it out).

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Yikes! Our pet goat SONIC would be very upset that I even looked at this thread. He doesn't know that we have goat meat in the freezer.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    This one (Sweet Potato Sheppard's Pie), except substitute ground goat for the ground lamb. I've modified to make it a bit more primal by not adding the flour (only 2 TBSPs anyway though) and cutting back a bit on the potatoes. Otherwise the proportions of ingredients are right. The spices are kind of lame in the recipe so I have modified with some of my own blends or Penzey's spice blends to give it either a Moroccan or Indian flavour profile. Or you can just keep it easy with salt and pepper. You may want to mix things up and use Okinawan sweet potatoes (which are purple) instead.

You can easily double the recipe by using a rectangular shaped pan instead. Single batch is good in a square shaped pan, double in a rectangular which is twice as long. This is cheap too, a double batch costs about $20 and lasts my family of 3 plus a baby for 3 dinners.

Once Upon A Feast - Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories: Lamb & Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

Grizz is offline Banned
    I have a BETTER question. Forget the recipe. How do you cook goat so it is not stringy and chewy?

We have tried EVERYTHING and no matter how we cook it, it turns out tough & stringy. Goat was 6 months old when we butchered it. It was range fed.
    1) Baked long and slow at 200 degrees.
    2) Boiled then baked
    3) Crock pot all day long
    4) Pressure cooker

Like chewing on rubber bands.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-29-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I have a BETTER question. Forget the recipe. How do you cook goat so it is not stringy and chewy?

We have tried EVERYTHING and no matter how we cook it, it turns out tough & stringy. Goat was 6 months old when we butchered it. It was range fed.
    1) Baked long and slow at 200 degrees.
    2) Boiled then baked
    3) Crock pot all day long
    4) Pressure cooker

Like chewing on rubber bands.

Grizz

What cut or cuts have you cooked? How long did you do your cooking steps?

I have braised my goat -- chops for maybe an hour, hour and a half (depending on thickness). Shoulder region I'd say braise in oven, 300-325 degrees for oh, 3.5 hours. I like a somewhat acidic sauce, recommending say something with an apple cider vinegar base, or with a tomato base.

The goat I'm talking about is also about the same age, and also pastured/range-fed.

Crock pot all day long is too long in my opinion. Initial time in the crock pot moistens meats, but afterwards meats of all sorts start turning dry and stringy, in my experience. In the crock pot, maybe 5 hours. Add in two-three slices of bacon, along with some liquids.

Oh yes: if I have a really lean cut, I'll cook it on the skillet (or maybe the grill) for a few minutes, flip over, and serve rare.
    Last edited by Artemis-MA; 07-29-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Additional thought - sometimes I type faster than I think...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast