Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit members/do'ers page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Crossfit members/do'ers

Question for you. Are there any really fat people in the gym during the classes or is it mostly people who are out of shape/skinny fat or a little fat?

I really want to join a CF gym, but am very overweight and cannot afford to drop $100 an hour on one-on-one training at this stage, so I have been putting it off until I 'lose weight' which hasn't happened yet.

Advice?

Thanks.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I think you should go for it. It might be tough being the heaviest one in the group, but I imagine you would get lots of encouragement. Don't just sit back and wait for weight loss to happen - take action!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Al. When I was doing Krav Maga -- an incredibly intense workout that left me drained and I was in shape -- I was very impressed with the folks who were not in shape (including some very overweight people) who came consistently and worked their asses off. Don't wait. Do it now and you'll thank yourself later. As I always tell my kids: there may always be somebody better, faster, stronger, more skilled than you are. But you need to compete against YOU. Look for your own PRs not world records. Every PR is a victory even if it's somebody else's warmup set.

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member
    I was overweight when I started crossfit..I just took the dive and went for it!
    No one judge me or made fun of me, it was the other way around. They all gave me support and advice.
    Thats how I found out about the PB and how to eat right.
    They'll let you scale the workouts so that you can manage them, then through time you'll be able to add more weight and work towards doing it RX'D (as recommendedrecommended).

The main thing is to enjoy it and try not to rush into things too quick. Go at your own pace and finish the workout, dont try to keep up with others in the class. If they finish first they'll cheer you as they do in the box i goto.

Let us all know how you get on .

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Go for it. Waiting until you lose weight before training is not necessary.

robf is offline Member
    Most CF'rs are extremely supportive and encourage others to work and try harder. I do CF as my main method to stay in shape and I have never once thought badly of someone who was out of shape who was doing a CF workout. When I started CF, I had people offer to help me with my form and technique and I have done the same, and I expect you will experience the same. Go for it.

Icecold232 is offline Junior Member
    I started doing Crossfit last June and was probably in the worst shape of my life. My friend had been on me for over a year to start going and telling me how they'd scale each workout to what was realistic and not to be intimidated. Finally I went and I came extremely close to vomiting from just doing the warm-up. To the point where the coach had to come check on me in the bathroom lol.

After that I was amazed at the support and how everyone came over to me to let me know they had similar experiences their first time.

So now I've been going religiously 4+ times per week for almost a year and I've made some great friends, lost about 45 lbs, and I am in the best shape of my life by far. I had also never been able to do an unassisted pull up in my entire life and now I do them like nothing.

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    I am physically strong and get fit quickly (( used to be very fit) but I am very fat. Part of my problem is that it would mortify me if people started cheering me on. One-to-one encouragement would be fine, but several people cheering for me to finish would make me wish the floor would open and swallow me up.

I won't know if I don't try though, right? Ok thanks, I am going to set up a consult with two different places this coming week and see what they say.
    Last edited by scubasam; 05-07-2011 at 06:20 AM.

BeckyBiceps is offline Junior Member
    I agree that you should definitely just go for it. I don't know if all the Crossfit gyms are the same, but at mine, we have beginner sessions before you can join the regular sessions. A lot of the people that I'm with right now are just starting out with fitness, but then there are others that are in pretty good shape already. They help you scale the work outs to your ability level so you don't feel like you are going to die right off the bat. I definitely recommend it!

freerangemama is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Definitely go! I just did my first Crossfit workout on Thursday at a local gym and was surprised at how at ease I felt though I was the definitely the biggest one there (100# overweight). I still managed to do the modified workout they had for us beginners and even being last in our group, everyone else was busy recovering from their workout to single me out. Our trainer was really the one to keep encouraging... everyone else was too pooped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast