Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil, Flour & Butter - UK Stockists page

holdyourspin is offline Junior Member

Coconut Oil, Flour & Butter - UK Stockists

Primal Fuel
    I can't find any Coconut Oil, Coconut Flour or Coconut Butter in the major supermarkets, including Waitrose. I eventually found some 1.79 tubs of Coconut Oil in a small asian food shop. The packaging is very plain and I'm not sure if what I bought is the right stuff. It says 'pure coconut oil' but I don't know whether it is unrefined or not. 1.79 also seems incredibly cheap. I have cooked with it a few times with no problems - it is virtually odourless, which for me is a shame because I LOVE the smell and taste of coconut. I can't find a picture of the exact tub but these are very similar.....

http://www.bakersandlarners.co.uk/ktc-coconut-oil-500ml-pid2416.html

Can anybody tell me whether this brand is acceptable?

And also, where do UK Paleo eaters buy their coconut products from? I live near Manchester.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    That's the refined stuff. Have you tried independent health food shops? That's where I get mine from. I can't coconut flour anywhere but you can get it easily online.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

holdyourspin is offline Junior Member
    Would Holland & Barrett or some other high street health food shop stock a decent kind?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately not.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

evergreen101 is offline Junior Member
    I've been having the same trouble myself... but managed to track down some coconut flour at Tesco's 'Nutricentre'. There are only a few around the country but probably a good place to start, here's the list of stores Our stores

There is also a good selection of different coconut products in Whole Foods (they've opened a few stores in the UK), but they seem to be focussed mainly in London and one in Glasgow.

There is also a list of stockists on this website too: TIANA Stockists - Where to buy TIANA organic coconut oil and other organic products.

As for the coconut oil, I bought some today from Wholefoods and cost about a fiver and that was the cheapest one there. Not really sure what the mark of quality is but maybe try out a few brands?

I've made the coconut pancakes in the recipe book, definitely worth the effort!

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I ordered some extra virgin coconut oil off Amazon. It is beautiful stuff, almost seems a shame to cook with it. It smells and tastes of coconut and I have been sticking my tongue into it and also rubbing it on my face!! However I tried to eat it by the spoonful, as people had suggested, and I found it too rich. I understand that ethnic shops sell the refined stuff cos my Mum uses it to make soaps. Waitrose defo don't do it cos I have been on the rampage in there searching for it!
    Last edited by Polecatz; 05-09-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling

bfslxo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    That's the refined stuff. Have you tried independent health food shops? That's where I get mine from. I can't coconut flour anywhere but you can get it easily online.
    Hi Stoneagequeen,
    nice to have a fellow pb'r living so close, I got coconut flour in the asian supermarket just before the bridge on the ormeau road.
    It is in a kilo bag down along the back wall on the right if it is at all handy to u
    Rgds

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I got some coconut oil from H&B - called "perfectly pure". I prefer the brand I got at an independent store, "Biona". I tend to use for body rather than cooking though.
    Coconut four - I've only seen East End brand in a couple fo Indian/Chinese stores. Try Chinatown?

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,
    Sorry I am a bit late commenting here but I hope I'll be useful to someone. Perfectly Pure @ H&B is very nice, but I prefer Biona for value - it's cheaper AND organic! You can also buy Tiana brand online. All brands I have mentioned are suitable for a primal diet and available to order online or from independent health food shops (and H&B). I bought coconut 'powder' which is the same as flour, from my local Asian supermarket, but it's also available from Asian minimart corner shops and independents. I can vouch for Lantern Foods in Hampshire, and they do deliver. Website's not great but if you call or email them they can tell you whether they stock your item or not or might even order it in for you.
    Regarding that seller on eBay, it looks OK but I would ask them if it is raw / virgin coconut oil before purchasing because it's v. cheap. You don't want the refined stuff. Hope that helps.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I get mine from eBay. Just search for organic coconut oil / flour / cream etc. Delivered to the door - easy. I also regularly ask at Sainsbury's etc in the hopes that they will, sooner or later, think - "this stuff keeps being asked for..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast