Thread: Why do I crave salt? page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I've realized my snacking habit is a result of my craving salt. When I'm not even one bit hungry, I feel like eating salted nuts for nothing more than the salt. Does this signify some underlying deficiency?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Apparently the body craves three things: Salt, Sugar, and Fat. It's built into us from what I understand.

I grok, therefore I am.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Yeah, I read a newspaper story in May before I became hyper-diet aware. It was about a book, the author had yo-yo'ed his weight over his lifetime. He went dumpster diving to get the boxes that foods came in behind restaurants.

His conclusion was that not only are sugar, salt, and fat individually addictive, but in combo become "lethal." Heck, drop the quotes, lethal! And those are the food types Chinese food (where I was eating) and other styles concentrate their ingredients.

lynnhopes Guest

Craving salt is very often a sign of an adrenal issue. I used to crave salt like crazy and it turned out my adrenals were really exhausted. You can get saliva testing for the adrenals from several labs.

Kebekgirl Guest

I have a thyroid issue that my endo believes is due to my adrenals being in overlaod and I also crave salt, usually in the later part of the afternoon - one of the things she suggested is high levels of Vit C (4-5 grams per day) and celtic or sea salt in warm water (1/2 tsp in about a cup of water). Sure enough, it does the trick for salt cravings...

maba is offline Senior Member

What causes adrenal issues? I don't even drink coffee all that much. Maybe 3-4 cups a week. Earlier, it used to be a cup once a day.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Stress! emotional, environmental or physical.

Kebekgirl Guest

Ecala is on - stress, in its very many forms... Also, sometimes, certain meds can cause a body imbalance and adrenals have to work overtime to compensate - in my case, many years of birth control pills have created havoc - stress - on my endocrine system - which includes adrenals... I'm sure a diet high in carbs and sugar combined with a desk job didn't help much - thank goodness for going primal! But it can be many things - some of which we may not be aware of...

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Amalgam fillings... is something that I am currently thinking about. :|