Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D keeps giving me cold sores! page 3

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Lanolin is wax from sheep skin glands. Commonly found in skincare products for babies.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    Lanolin is wax from sheep skin glands. Commonly found in skincare products for babies.
    But is it safe to be something I'm ingesting? Also I'm interested to find out how valid the argument is regarding taking Vitamin D3 in oil, olive oil in this case for greater absorption, or is that necessary?

Blueberry is offline Member
    Lanolin is safe to ingest (it is found on fleece) it is used for cracked nipples in breastfeeding and is one of few (in fact the only one "I" know of) ointments you do not wipe off before feeding the babe.
    Do not have any vit D suggestion but I recommend rubbing the cold sore with alcohol - the stronger the better - a few times a day for a few days and it will scab over and go away without being to much nuisance. I used to get them all the time and tried many things but alcohol works best for me.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    If you are allergic to wool, do NOT use anything with lanolin in it. It does really bad things to your nipples when you use it while breastfeeding if you are allergic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Also I'm interested to find out how valid the argument is regarding taking Vitamin D3 in oil, olive oil in this case for greater absorption, or is that necessary?
    Does anyone know about Vit D3 in oil gelcaps? Another thread discussed it, said it absorbs much better but I'd like to know more before ordering it.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Yes gelcaps is the way to go, tablets do not work per Dr William Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Yes gelcaps is the way to go, tablets do not work per Dr William Davis.
    Could you give me a link to what he's written about it? I'm just about to order the gelcaps (olive oil) but I'd like to know a little more first.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Could you give me a link to what he's written about it? I'm just about to order the gelcaps (olive oil) but I'd like to know a little more first.
    Getting vitamin D right | The Heart Scan Blog

His evidence is from what he sees in his practice. He doesn't really give any scientific backing of cite any studies. He mentions that he has had some patients have success when taking tablets with some oil. So the gelcaps may not be totally necessary unless you're taking your D while fasted.

I prefer the Carlson drops mostly because there are no other ingredients other than the coconut oil (and the D of course). Any gelcap or tablet will have some other ingredients which may or may not be benign.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Holy crapola, that's a lot of D.

I have the beginning stages of osteoporosis in my right hip (I'm 42) and even my doctor only has me on 2,000iu's a day.

I know you don't take 20grand a day, but still, even just once, wow!

But anyway, I concur with Grizz, must be the oil based d-3.

My wife had a Vit D level of 7 (normal range 30-80 or so). They put her on 50,000IU of D2 taken twice a week for 12 weeks. At the end, her Vit D level was 70. That was all with Vit D2, she is now on 10,000IU D3 daily.

It's really strange, though, the only thing you can get a prescription for is D2. But everything you read says D3 is the way to go.

MoreBacon is offline Junior Member

What kind of Alchohol do you use or recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Lanolin is safe to ingest (it is found on fleece) it is used for cracked nipples in breastfeeding and is one of few (in fact the only one "I" know of) ointments you do not wipe off before feeding the babe.
    Do not have any vit D suggestion but I recommend rubbing the cold sore with alcohol - the stronger the better - a few times a day for a few days and it will scab over and go away without being to much nuisance. I used to get them all the time and tried many things but alcohol works best for me.
    Are we talking vodka,gin or scotch?
    Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast