Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JKC Takes the Plunge page

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member

JKC Takes the Plunge

Primal Fuel
    Well, I have been on here a while now, lost 10 lbs and got really educated, but I decided it was time to actually get a little accountable and start a journal. That and nutritiondata only tracks one day at a time. This way I can look back and see if I think I might need a tweak.

A little bit about me:
    I am a 46 year old stay at home mom of a 5 and 7 year old. We are a blended family with 4 other adult kids from 22-31 who are on their own now. I started staying at home due to health issues that forced me from work, and am staying at home now because I can and I am enjoying my kids and trying to have the balance in my life I found so hard to get when I was working. Part of my job at this time of my life is to work on me.

Background (as at mid March 2011):
    I have had a lot of health issues the last 5 years or so particularly. Hypothyroidism, food intolerances, bile reflux disease, and then some anxiety and depression. Prior to PB, the BRD was fairly well under control, but I was still taking an acid reducer so that I wouldn't develop gastritis, and cytomel for my thyroid issues.
    Starting weight maybe 140-143, at 5'7"
    Just starting to get into exercising - in terrible shape, but slowly doing cardio and weights.

After 7 weeks, I am down to low 130s in weight, and exercising more regularly. I am doing 30 min low level cardio a day, and generally working out twice a week, doing the PBF, and I do sorta-sprints once a week or so.

Oh gosh - now that I have written this down, I gotta keep it up!

PB has so far truly been an answer to prayer for me. I have great energy and a better outlook on life. My fairly constant migraines are a thing of the past (Thank you Jesus!). I am enjoying my kids more, and I have greater endurance even when I am tired.

Today's exercise:
    Just 30 min on the bike, and probably a walk to school in a few hours to get the kids.

Food so far:
    Breakfast
    1 huge mug of tea with HWC
    1 egg, 1 bacon, half can salmon warmed up with last night's swiss chard and carrots in coconut milk
    Lunch
    Ground beef with peas and gai lan
    Dinner is going to be pork shoulder with sweet potato and greens (brown rice included for the nonprimalists in the family, which would be everyone but me).
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

JKC
    Dinner photos:

Spinach Berry Salad - my kids love it!

Untitled by JKarinC, on Flickr

Pork Shoulder browned then braised with peppers, garlic, onion and sherry

Untitled by jkarinc, on Flickr
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

JKC
    Nutritiondataed it - 1787 calories 122g protein, 37g carb - a bit more than I usually have, but I don't normally have lunch. It is good to have the protein up a little higher - I have a hard time getting enough most days. Also 2 squares of 90% chocolate. Yum. Perhaps some yogurt later if I get hungry again, but I sorta doubt it.

I am due for a workout tomorrow, and hopefully I will be able to put a bit into it. I was ridiculous and hung on the monkey bars with my kids about a week and a half ago and hurt my shoulder, and this is only the second workout since then. I am still having to take it fairly easy. Of the PBF's 5 main exercises, 4 of them use your shoulders in one way or another. I found the planks especially to be a bit hard on the sore shoulder, so I am not pushing myself.

Thyroid is sorting itself out - I changed meds a couple of days ago - the weight loss has led to me being hyper on the dose I have. Surprisingly, I don't have to go down much to get to a point where I feel I have comfortable and consistent energy. I'll have to get it tested again fairly soon.

Stress is on the way down too. My husband was working 70 hours a week the last month and life was like being a single parent (but with money). He should be home this weekend, which should give both of us a little time for rest and relaxation.
    Karin

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Your food looks delicious. Especially the salad with berries, such a good idea. The best salad I've ever had some fruit I think, sliced almonds, and a wonderful balsamic vinaigrette added to the greens.

70 hours a week?! That is crazy. What is your husband's occupation, if you don't mind me asking?

JKC
    He is a warehouse coordinator. Nothing that usually would require 70 hours a week most places, but he works for an oil company who periodically shuts down oil production for maintenance, and at times like that, everyone involved works huge hours to get the work done and get production started again. Everyone there is tired out now and looking forward to a break.

I love the spinach berry salad. Slivered almonds on top would be a good addition, I think, I must try that next time. And I do use my home made balsamic vinaigrette on it - it is my "go to" salad dressing. I really do love cooking and it has been fun rediscovering it with this WOE.

Yesterdays cals worked out to somewhere around 1900 - higher than usual, due to lunch. My tummy was feeling extra hungry yesterday, which I think actually came down to the bile reflux disease. Silly tummy digesting itself. I ended up taking a prescription acid reducer - only the 2nd one since I have started this WOE, so I can't complain.

Today so far:
    Weight - 132 or 133 - hard to see exactly without contacts in! O.O
    Breakfast - huge mug of tea - 2 T HWC
    2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, half a tomato, 2 c spinach, 3 mushrooms and 1/4 avocado

I guess I am an IFer without really trying - I tend to go from 6 or 8 pm to 10 or 11am without eating. I never was much of a breakfast person.

Checked out my BMR/RMR last night. Even at 1200 or 1300 calories, I shouldn't expect to lose too quickly - my BMR is about 1300 without exercise, and only prolly around 1700-1800 with. I really don't know if I even want to lose anymore at this point - I just don't want to yoyo back up again.

Thyroid feels good - the level feels right - I can't get it tested for a few weeks, but I am an old hand at my thyroid being off, so I usually know when it is ok or not.

Well, time to go off and check a few threads and then do real life stuff. My little guy is due in kindergarten in a little while!
    Karin

JKC
    Got a LHT workout in and 35 min on the bike

I think I will make an easy dinner tonite - burgers and steamed broccoli - its just me and the kids, so it is a good time to have all the beef we can handle. My husband has hemochromatosis, so he is supposed to stay away from beef a fair bit - he may have it once a week or so. The kids love broccoli, as long as it has cheese on it. We used to do cheez whiz, but now it is good old grated cheddar. Maybe some fruit for dessert - the kids adore smoothies!
    Karin

JKC
    Finished dinner - not photoworthy
    1/3 can salmon before dinner
    1 1/2 hamburger patties
    broccoli with butter
    sweet potato and fried potato

Cal 1347
    21% carbs 55%fat 24% protein

Only 80g protein so I still need to get something else in - not now though - too full - maybe .7/lb of LBM is ok for me - I am not doing big grokkin muscle building.

Just looked up Mark's take on protein again - 1g per pound of body mass - not lean body mass - that would put me needing 130g a day or so.

Whoa....

I think I might have to run around everywhere with a turkey drumstick of I was going to do that!

Ah well, if I snack tonite - I guess it will be a meaty one!
    Karin

JKC
    Breakfast this morning:
    2 bacon, 2 eggs, leftover broccoli and butter
    Lots of cups of tea

Tummy has been a bit yucky last few days - think I will try no dairy again. I am lactose intolerant, and even with lactase used, I am not sure it suits me. Read some of the healthy skeptic's stuff on thyroid and gut, and again, it seems like getting the gut back to where it should be is one of my top nutritional priorities.

Also reading a great book, Inside Out, by Larry Crabbe. It deals with what happens if we refuse to be honest with ourselves about our feelings and needs. Very good stuff.

Dunno if I am going to count today - counting is getting a bit tiresome, and my BMI is 20 or 21, so maybe I am ok that way. There are many strides to go fitness wise, but one day at a time on that one. It is easy for me to kill myself at the gym, but if I do I tend to get sick fairly often, so it makes more sense for me to go slow and steady. I am slightly feeling it in my shoulder from working out yesterday - but nothing serious. Today I will do a 30 min bike or walk. It is damp and 7C outside right now. I am really looking forward to warm and sunny days!

My man (and best friend) is home today for 3 days straight! YAY! Too bad he is too tired right now to do anything but sleep! LOL! Oh well, give him a few days and he should bounce back just fine!
    Karin

belinda is offline Senior Member
    When we do catered lunches at work, I always order a spinach salad that has strawberries, mandarins, almond sliver and raspberry vinaigrette. It's yummy!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

JKC
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fruit and spinach has got to be one of the best combos there is. I bet you could even stick chicken or shrimp on it and it would still work.

Took my mom for a mother's day lunch today - got a seafood stirfry - should have asked for it without the sauce - ULTRASWEET - yuck. I had half of it and brought the rest home. I am seeing about adding a few extra carbs in, so I had it with rice, not much. I will see if I can up the carbs and not get the "big hungry"s. So far, not bad - I tend to graze in the afternoon a bit anyways - usually on veggies and a little protein. I have no idea what to make for supper yet - it is almost 4pm so I should get off my bum and see to that, I guess!
    Karin

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast