Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JKC Takes the Plunge page 2

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome. Glad that primal seems to be working for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Thank you hedonist!

Well, I finished the rest of my stir fry, had a bit of cheese and a couple of pieces of fruit yesterday. I was looking at the carb refeed stuff, and I generally keep so low carb, I thought it might be a good idea.

Been so low energy the last week or so - thyroid needed a tweak, and I still haven't got to a good energy level yet. I was in the first month, but I just wonder if I have booted my metabolism down too low. I am eating hardly anything compared to what I used to be. I used to be quite a good eater and able to maintain my weight. I am considering more carb.

I'd like to maybe lose more weight - definitely keep the weight off I have, but I want more to have decent energy. I am starting to wonder if it is one or the other, or if there is something else here that I am missing.

Maybe it is time for me to do a bit of tweaking, but I am not sure in what direction. I really don't want this to become a science experiment or something that I start obsessing over or wrapping my life around to the exclusion of other good things.

I need to pray for some guidance about it.

I should go get some breakfast....I am hungry!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

JKC
    Breakfast - 3 eggs, sauteed spinach, tomato and mushroom - I love that combination. Trying coconut oil in my tea - it sounds a little weird, but with no dairy maybe it is the way to go.
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

belinda is offline Senior Member
    If you're considering carb refeeding, according to what I've read, you'll have better success (and less chance of gaining weight) if you stick to starches (white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes) instead of cheese and fruit. Dairy and fructose can be weight-gainers.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

JKC
    Thanks, Belinda. I am adding in more starches and fruits. I was on ultra low fruit, so it is not like I will be having 5 or 6 a day - maybe 2 a day or so, and some rice, sweet potato or squash. I remember early on I had a couple of really low energy days and I figured that the problem was too little carb. Since then I have been whittling it down without really meaning too - I just got better and better at keeping them down and I went too far, I think. I am going to try for the 100-150 range - that feels like it will be the right thing to do. I need to dial my metabolism back up again a bit. I may look at reducing carbs again in the future to peel a couple more pounds, but the priority right now is get my thyroid and gut healthy and get my energy back up.

Had sushi, sashimi and grilled beef and chicken for lunch. I am still being primal but taking a couple of days of relaxed eating and see how that makes me feel.
    Karin

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a very regulated Primal-er. I eat what I want, when I want (sticking to about 95% primal) and I'm down another 3.6 lbs since April 27. I did cut out dairy and have half an apple every other day or so instead of every day and it seems to have got me off my plateau.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Interesting that you're trying the carb re-feeding. It seems like you're at the point where you don't have much (if any) body fat left to lose, so carb re-feeding might help with both better energy levels (a lot of long-term low-carbers apparently report this kind of low energy after a while) and even weight loss (because of more circulating leptin I think).

JKC
    Yeah - it feels good so far. I didn't come to primal primarily because of losing weight - it has just been a bonus. I was looking for something that nutritionally made sense for me. The no processed foods and no grains and legumes is good for me. I have been off of dairy for the last couple of days too, and I think that is helping, tummy-wise. I am lactose intolerant, and even though I try to take enough lactaid when I have dairy, I think it doesn't quite fix it.

Last night - out to a birthday party and had Philipino food - pancit (which is awesome), roast chicken, veggies, and a lovely soup with pork ribs, greens and a tamarind flavored stock. Pretty clean, although I had a little bit of a purple yam dessert which I knew must have had sugar in it.

This morning - had to leave the house at 11 in order to get to church on time and grabbed an apple before I left. Had lunch afterward - steak, spinach salad and a couple of baby roast potatoes.

Weighed in this morning at 133 again, so I am maintaining my weight so far. I don't seem to be eating a whole lot more this way, but I feel more energetic. Also had a huge sleep last night - more than 10 hours. I didn't think I needed that much, but maybe I was too tired too.

I have 2 weeks before a vacation down east - I hope to maintain my eating habits and workouts as good as I possibly can then, although being away from home certainly presents some challenges that way, but we will see how it goes.

Wishing a happy mother's day to every mommy who reads this!
    Karin

JKC
    Dinner at my Mom's. Made a BAS and had rotisserie chicken and sweet potato fries with strawberries for dessert. My mom isn't primal, but she is pretty low carb, and gluten free and casein free, so the diet is pretty similar.

I stuck it into nutritiondata just to see how I am doing, and it was 1128 calories. Totally bizarre, since I have eaten quite a lot, but I guess having an apple for breakfast can do it. Even trying to up my carbs a bit and eating potato, sweet potato and 2 fruits today, I am only at 76 carbs. Time to break out the cookies (just kidding, although I could probably handle a little primal baking) For upping my carbs, they still aren't super high, but high enough to feel better anyways.
    Karin

JKC
    Weight this morning: 131 - so the carbing up a bit is not hurting. Need to get some stuff done. BBL
    Karin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast