Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Is there a difference between Primal and Paleo? page

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bama!
    Posts
    90

    Question Is there a difference between Primal and Paleo?

    Shop Now
    Maybe this has been asked a thousand times but I did a search and could not find it. I assume it is just a name thing? Or is primal more of a lifestyle and paleo is more of a diet? I was researching paleo style eating and was lead here and love the all the information I am finding here.


  2. #2
    profdjj's Avatar
    profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    348
    Primal allows a little more flexibility than paleo. Paleo restricts dairy.

  3. #3
    Rivvin's Avatar
    Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    Primal allows a little more flexibility than paleo. Paleo restricts dairy.
    I disagree with that, honestly. If you keep up with "paleo news" and all that jazz, primal and paleo are basically starting to reconcile all their differences and come together. Almost every paleo advocate out there now supports dairy except for a couple of the hardliners. I am at work so I can't really go through and put together a list of names at the moment, but I think in a year or two we are going to see both of these lifestyles be pretty much the same.

  4. #4
    d2mini's Avatar
    d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    Primal allows a little more flexibility than paleo. Paleo restricts dairy.
    And Paleo focuses on leaner meats, from what I've read anyway.
    -dennis

  5. #5
    Rivvin's Avatar
    Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    And Paleo focuses on leaner meats, from what I've read anyway.
    Not anymore, really. The old stance was that lean meat was better because of the higher O6 content found in the fat of conventionally fed meats, which is true, but the viewpoint is starting to shift around to that some fat is better than no fat, just try to equalize the ratios. Chicken fat is still pretty highly disregarded in the paleo diet though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bama!
    Posts
    90
    Thank you for your thoughts so far. Either way I think both "camps" are on the right track and have a lot of good points and some I disagree with Thanks again and I hope y'all don't mind me hanging around.

  7. #7
    Daemonized's Avatar
    Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    2,252
    I was under the impression that a lot of the members of the paleo camp also ban nightshades. I do eat some dairy too, but I am a complete and total hot pepper addict. Anything I eat that has meat or eggs will also have bhut jolokias or habaneros on it and that's every meal. I have bottles of powdered pepper in my car, house, motorcycle jacket, on my desk at work, and an emergency reserve on my key chair. That flies under primal but I didn't think that works for paleo.

  8. #8
    Rivvin's Avatar
    Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I was under the impression that a lot of the members of the paleo camp also ban nightshades. I do eat some dairy too, but I am a complete and total hot pepper addict. Anything I eat that has meat or eggs will also have bhut jolokias or habaneros on it and that's every meal. I have bottles of powdered pepper in my car, house, motorcycle jacket, on my desk at work, and an emergency reserve on my key chair. That flies under primal but I didn't think that works for paleo.
    That is definitely one of the biggest differences between paleo and primal. Robb Wolf recently in a podcast stated that he is not against nightshades in moderation, but he recommends not consuming them for 30 - 60 days and then re-introducing them slowly to see how your body reacts to it.

    Most of the other paleo "gurus" are still against nightshades.

  9. #9
    Daemonized's Avatar
    Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    2,252
    I think I'll stay camped out on the primal side for now. My body runs fine on pepper power.

  10. #10
    DaisyEater's Avatar
    DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,784
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    That is definitely one of the biggest differences between paleo and primal. Robb Wolf recently in a podcast stated that he is not against nightshades in moderation, but he recommends not consuming them for 30 - 60 days and then re-introducing them slowly to see how your body reacts to it.
    That seems pretty reasonable to me. It seems lots of people with autoimmune issues, especially RA, have issues with them. Heck, even my sister's CW doctor told her to avoid them when she was diagnosed with arthritis.

    Personally, I'll be pretty pissed if I end up having to give them up. Some people advise giving up cruciferous veggies if you have hypothyroid issues, like me. I have to admit I didn't even try that. I love my veggies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •