Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday treats? page

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Shop Now

So, my sister's birthday is coming up on the 19th, and I'm looking for some yummy, low carb, primal recipes for something to stand in for birthday cake and ice cream.

I've found a few recipes that recommend using unsweetened applesauce and stevia in place of sugar. But I was wondering, how much applesauce and how much stevia? I have stevia/erithrytol powder and also liquid stevia.

So, any suggestions for cake, brownies, ice cream ETC are welcome!! Thank you so much in advance!

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Del Mar Mel Guest

One seemingly strange dessert I made recently is definitely low carb and high healthy fat. Google "raw chocolate mousse". You make it with raw cacao and avocados. There is some agave sweetener but I think the next time I make it I will experiment with taking that out. I prefer to serve it with organic, thawed frozen strawberries or cherries. The fruit has that soft, syrupy texture which is enough to sweeten it up. I served it at a dinner party and made them guess what was in it. Took awhile but they all loved it. If you make it put the avocado and water in first or the blender will have a hard time turning it. So easy and so good!

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

ooo that does sound good! *off to look it up*

thanks!

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Hey, I'm going to file this for the next time I get pms!

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Del Mar Mel, do you have the recipe you used for the raw chocolate mousse? I googled it and came up with a few pretty different recipes.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Raw Chocolate Mousse (Raw Revolution Diet by Cherie Soria)

1 ripe avocado

6 tbsp raw cacao powder

4 tbsp agave syrup

2 tbsp evaporated cane juice/ Sucanat (I think this could be omitted if topping w/ berries. I like thawed, organic berries so it has the syrupy texture)

1/4 - 1/2 cup water (depending on consistency you want)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

pinch of ground cinnamon, or serve w/ berries

Blend all ingredients (add water and avocado to the blender first to make it easier to turn the avocado)

Sounds odd but it was a big hit!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Creme brulee is my all time favorite And depending on how much sugar is in it, it's mostly just egg yolks, heavy cream, and vanilla! It's a 1-2 times per year thing, so I don't really care when I'm eating it (plus I can't think about anything else anyway, it's so good). Other than that, custards of any sort, or souflees will be good options because they're egg yolk based rather than flour based.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

maba is offline Senior Member

Son of Grok has a few low-carb desserts on his website: Primal cheese cake, Coconut milk custard, etc. I made a flourless chocolate cake for friends recently - look for it in the recipe section - with lots of eggs, butter, dark chocolate and a small amount of sugar. Mascarpone with fresh berries will make for an elegant dessert. Someone in the forum mentioned strawberries dipped in unsweetened chocolate. If you have a fondue maker, you can make fondue with dark chocolate and cream and serve it w/ apples, pears, strawberries.

misathemeb is offline Member

i make a low carb chocolate cake in a ramekin that goes like this:

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4c almond meal or unsweetened coconut

1 pat butter

1 egg

2 tbsp raw cocoa

1-2 packet of natural sweetener depending on taste

2tbsp water or nut milk if batter clumpy

mix dry ingredients and egg together in a bowl, melt butter and mix in. add the water if the batter seems clumpy. pour into 2 ramekins and cover with plastic wrap. make a small slit in the center of plastic wrap to let air out and microwave for 1min 40s let stand for 1 minute to cool & enjoy. often i'll throw some berries or coconut creme on top. delish!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Sassafrass's recipe for flourless chocolate cake is *THE* birthday treat in our house now. Absolutely fab!!! Find it here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Chocolate-Cake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast