Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CW Anger Management page 2

one_eye_mike Guest

I try to convert no one. I never bring it up unless asked. There's nothing worse then a new convert (think religion) prosthetising their beliefs. Put the information out there if asked and then let them come to it on their own terms. All IMHO of course.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I can't help thinking that it must be hard being the younger member of a family. Your parents are accustomed to teaching you, so it's difficult for them to accept that you know things they don't. As others have said, example is the best teacher.

For me, as the mother of grown daughters, it's interesting to see the different reactions they've had to the PB. My oldest daughter has wholeheartedly embraced the primal way of life. My youngest daughter agrees with the organic, local aspects, but hasn't taken the time to understand much of the philosophy. But, my middle daughter, who recently moved back home for a short while after living in Italy, complains that there's too much meat, and can't embrace eating saturated fat, but then recognizes she feels worse after eating pasta.

It's a journey, that's for sure, and they've all watched me go through "diet phases" over the years. It will take a while to demonstrate that the PB is much more to me than a phase. As my daughters see the changes I believe they'll be inspired to more seriously investigate.

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I try to convert no one. I never bring it up unless asked. There's nothing worse then a new convert (think religion) prosthetising their beliefs. Put the information out there if asked and then let them come to it on their own terms. All IMHO of course.

The thing is, I live with these people. I've probably told two other people about the PB and only when it came up in conversation. It's almost impossible to avoid talking about it with my family as they see what I eat and I see what they eat every night. I am, however, going to stop talking to them about it. I move back to school next semester anyway.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

Don't preach, just set a good example. Soon they'll see the changes in you and will want to follow suit.

I think thanksgiving can be greatly modified here -just did it as I am canadian...but its a holiday of traditions and I can see why she would not want to give up the stuffing...why not make your alternative and they can try that one too?

Understand your frustration...it kills me to see my BF pour syrup all over my awesome almond flour pancakes (that are expensive!!!)...or I'll make an great crustless quiche and he puts it between 2 pieces of toast! ack!

Geoff is offline Member

[M]y dad is worried about diabetes and heart disease and my mom and sister are overweight.
    I'm really trying to help them...
    They're fully supportive of me it seems...
    I love my family and I'm just trying to make their lives better.

Rather than focus on the (understandable) frustration you experience, reflect for a minute on your words above. From those words you wrote I gather that you have a loving family that truly wants each other to be healthy, and a family that supports you. Consider how lucky you truly are and perhaps your frustrations will gain a bit of perspective.

This isn't intended to downplay your frustrations. I would suggest though that perhaps your parents feel the same frustrations about your Primal life. You might think your way of eating is best (and you're probably even right), but you won't win them over by forcing the issue. Logic's powerful but unless that logic resonates with them on an emotional level (i.e. they start "grokking it") there will always be resistance. You'll be seen as pushing something onto them, something they don't yet want.

So, how to deal with the frustrations? Realize you're already doing it. You didn't eat the pankcakes. You can skip the stuffing at Thanksgiving. Remember (as you wrote): They support you. Lead by example as suggested above without making it into a confrontation. Recognize that any frustration you feel is probably equal and balanced on "the other side." And try to understand that the reason your frustrations are so strong is because you and your family love each other so.

Looked at that way you might find your problem's actually a nice one to have.

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Haha, thanks for the great advice, Geoff!

I guess I'll just leave them with the means of finding out for themselves and continuing by example. They know all about MDA and the PB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12