Thread: I need a ground heart recipe! page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

I need a ground heart recipe!

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have a ground heart recipe? I have 1 lb in the freezer that I want to eat. Or what do you think will be the best way to cook it? I was thinking of frying it in 4 T of butter and then roasting onions and garlic to throw on there. Add in some tomato paste and I am probably good to go!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Sounds good - let us know how it goes! I've never tried ground heart but it sounds a cheap source of protein and probably much more...

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    I would not grind, soak in about 2 TBLS seasalt and water to cover, for at min. 4 hrs up to all day..rinse and sqeeze water out

You want to cut it really thin, about like liver or a little thinner.. and peel the outside membrain if the store did not do it.
    You can either cut it into chunks about the size of of a small cut french fry and clean up all the valves on
    the inside,if they don't bother you, then just slice it into big thin circles starting at the valve end into steaks,
    pat dry before frying

my fav. elk and deer heart recipe .... about 5 mins. fried in butter about like you would cook your steak,
    rare ,med, done, you get diffent texture as in a steak.. so you may take a few out at rare and a few out at done
    see which one you like best..the doner the chewer
    remove heart from pan.
    add onions, mushrooms crisp up and remove from pan
    add a little more butter & little cream at the end and reduced to a thick gravy "yummm making me hungery"

I have also peeled it and cleaned up the inside and cut it to long steaks the length of the heart about 3 inch strips, season ,EVO and put on BBQ

I have heard of people baking it whole like a roast and also boiling it never had either one of these but have heard it is good,
    should just be able to google a recipe..

Good luck yell if you have a Question

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I tried slow roast stuffed lamb's heart, but we didn't like the texture and the taste was so-so. Since then I've minced it in the food processor, combined with regular mince and a bit of liver/ kidney, and made meat loaf. Very, very good, rich and fatty and satisfying, and cheap as chips.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    At some point I've seen a chili recipe using it; ground you could probably treat it pretty much like reg ground beef by adding a bit of fat.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I tried slow roast stuffed lamb's heart, but we didn't like the texture and the taste was so-so. Since then I've minced it in the food processor, combined with regular mince and a bit of liver/ kidney, and made meat loaf. Very, very good, rich and fatty and satisfying, and cheap as chips.
    Hilary, could you post your meatloaf recipe? All the ones I see seem to include breadcrumbs.....!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatmydust View Post
    I would not grind, soak in about 2 TBLS seasalt and water to cover, for at min. 4 hrs up to all day..rinse and sqeeze water out

You want to cut it really thin, about like liver or a little thinner.. and peel the outside membrain if the store did not do it.
    You can either cut it into chunks about the size of of a small cut french fry and clean up all the valves on
    the inside,if they don't bother you, then just slice it into big thin circles starting at the valve end into steaks,
    pat dry before frying

my fav. elk and deer heart recipe .... about 5 mins. fried in butter about like you would cook your steak,
    rare ,med, done, you get diffent texture as in a steak.. so you may take a few out at rare and a few out at done
    see which one you like best..the doner the chewer
    remove heart from pan.
    add onions, mushrooms crisp up and remove from pan
    add a little more butter & little cream at the end and reduced to a thick gravy "yummm making me hungery"

I have also peeled it and cleaned up the inside and cut it to long steaks the length of the heart about 3 inch strips, season ,EVO and put on BBQ

I have heard of people baking it whole like a roast and also boiling it never had either one of these but have heard it is good,
    should just be able to google a recipe..

Good luck yell if you have a Question
    I bought the "ground heart" from the farmers market. It is already ground sitting in my freezer! I think I am going to just fry it with a bunch of butter and then roast stuff like onions and garlic and then throw on some tomato paste. I will come up with a recipe and share on my blog if I enjoy it
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I made Texas chili with mine. The beef heart I bought had sort of a gamey flavor that I wasn't sure hubby would like, but it actually complements the cumin & oregano and chiles.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    if it's fatty, i'd use it just like ground beef. if it's not (it depends on whether the butcher trimmed the fat before grinding), then make sure to add lots of fat to it. it sounds like you have the right idea, let us know how it goes.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I was also thinking meatloaf..if it was me I would add some rendered beef, pork or bacon fat to it.