Page 179 of 699 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279679 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 6981

Thread: A thread wherein guys rant, complain, and chat about MANLY MAN THINGS page 179

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    When did this become the Oprah thread? I thought it was the "A thread wherein guys rant, complain, and chat about MANLY MAN THINGS." thread.
    it was inevitable
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    People are stupid.
    /reality check
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    it was inevitable
    Then I say we take it back! Back off women!

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

strom is offline Senior Member
    I just learned what a blue waffle is. I won't tell. Its mentioned in the latest Epic Meal Time.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I may have mentioned before that I don't know of too many happy marriages, but the ones I do know of invariably have a strong leader and able provider doing a job he loves as the husband, and a home-loving nurturer as the wife (and they have three or four kids). The majority of the unhappy marriages I know of have both partners working, and the man unable to satisfy the woman mentally or sexually (usually because he is so damn overworked, but in one case he's just an ass).

Sometimes I think of it like this. A man and a woman as a couple are like an egg. The man is the outer shell and the woman is the yolk inside. The yolk needs the outer shell to keep it safe and to keep it contained in the proper shape for life to develop. But without the yolk, the shell has no purpose. And the hard shell gains some strength to absorb blows thanks to the yielding and soft yolk underneath. Without it, the shell would shatter very easily. Hokey enough for you?
    I can get behind the yolk analogy, and I agree with a lot of what huntergirlhayden is saying about submission/dominance dynamics in relationships. I like guys who are more dominant and won't apologize for being who they are, but I don't like assholes either, but I also really hate 'emotional tampons.' I like being teased (like given a dumb nickname, made fun of for quirks... not 'negged' and having my self-esteem brought down), but I also don't feel that it's my place to initiate that kind of playful environment in the early stages of a relationship. I also hope that when I have kids I'd be able to be deeply involved in their upbringing, rather then letting tv raise them. (but I also wonder, isn't that whole 'letting the man do the heavy lifting' the same princess mentality that several posters were denigrating earlier??)

That said, I also grew up in a very traditional/conservative culture and household, and I've seen what happens when those traditional gender roles are actually the norm. It's a pain the ass to grow up bearing the burden of responsibility simply because you're a girl, while the boys are allowed to roam free. I've seen in several cases what happens when the man, who holds the dominant role, doesn't follow through responsibly and is in fact kind of a shitty person--it turns out really poorly for both the wife and the children, and divorce really is the last option in those kinds of situations. While I agree that masculinity and femininity are lost arts, I think there is a lot of idealizing of traditional gender roles going on here too.

now here is some manly shit:
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 05-10-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Then I say we take it back! Back off women!

could you raise someone else's kid? i sure as sh*t couldn't, i don't know why so many guys do it

one of my cousins does and I don't get it, his wife won't have one of his kids but he's on the hook for hers now

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    And if any of you men types are having problems becoming a manly man, here is a set of instructions:

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    could you raise someone else's kid? i sure as sh*t couldn't, i don't know why so many guys do it

one of my cousins does and I don't get it, his wife won't have one of his kids but he's on the hook for hers now
    The genetic imperative is weak in some. But at least he knows the kids aren't his, unlike some guys who learn way too late. And the State has decreed in many cases that if a guy has been cuckolded long enough he is required to support the kids because he has 'assumed' being their father. That's ****ed up.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    that's speculation. we could also speculate that women in the military feel the pressure to be "just like the guys" and thus are significantly LESS likely to report a rape. either way, it's speculation and we can only use the DATA that we have.
    True, but speculation based on the women I knew in the military. While that was perhaps not a representative sample of all women in the military it does give one a basis for such speculation. I find it rather pointed that being 'just like the guys' means not reporting rape. Though I guess you are right, male rape victims are far less likely to report it.
    Last edited by canio6; 05-10-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    True, but speculation based on the women I knew in the military. While that was perhaps not a representative sample of all women in the military it does give one a basis for such speculation. I find it rather pointed that being 'just like the guys' means not reporting rape. Though I guess you are right, male rape victims are far less likely to report it.
    the ones that don't report have an off-setting effect when combined with the ones that falsely report