Page 175 of 699 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275675 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 6981

Thread: A thread wherein guys rant, complain, and chat about MANLY MAN THINGS page 175

  1. #1741
    New Renaissance's Avatar
    New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Land of Dixie
    Posts
    365
    Primal Fuel
    I'm really glad i posted that last post without reading the following pages. This thread is dead to me. We went from a perfectly funny gag thread about "guy stuff" to someone bagging on the military. Thank you Rivven for starting a great thread, but It's time to go. Die Thread. Die.

  2. #1742
    Grumpycakes's Avatar
    Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by spakesneaker View Post
    there's no reason for them to be obligated to carry out those roles if they're not interested in doing so since we're not living in the same environment as Grok or Grokette where the main purpose of life is simply survival.
    "Obligation" is becoming a dirty word these days, anyway. Like "discipline" and "patience." We're in the midst of a great social experiment that I don't think has ever come along before at this magnitude. We have the resources and the technology to manipulate those resources to such a degree that, yes, the traditional roles of men and women are becoming obsolete, at least on the surface of things. But those traditional roles have been in place since before humans were humans. There is some serious neural hardwiring going on that a few decades can't possibly undo.

    I may have mentioned before that I don't know of too many happy marriages, but the ones I do know of invariably have a strong leader and able provider doing a job he loves as the husband, and a home-loving nurturer as the wife (and they have three or four kids). The majority of the unhappy marriages I know of have both partners working, and the man unable to satisfy the woman mentally or sexually (usually because he is so damn overworked, but in one case he's just an ass).

    Sometimes I think of it like this. A man and a woman as a couple are like an egg. The man is the outer shell and the woman is the yolk inside. The yolk needs the outer shell to keep it safe and to keep it contained in the proper shape for life to develop. But without the yolk, the shell has no purpose. And the hard shell gains some strength to absorb blows thanks to the yielding and soft yolk underneath. Without it, the shell would shatter very easily. Hokey enough for you?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

  3. #1743
    canio6's Avatar
    canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    The rape rate in the US is 0.4 per 1000

    SSRN-Porn Up, Rape Down by Anthony D'Amato
    Yeah, but I am too lazy to do the math to see how the military compares

  4. #1744
    huntergirlhayden's Avatar
    huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Mass-murder on a global scale offends me. Robbing productive people to pay for said mass-murder offends me. Expecting me to be thankful for this "service" really fucking offends me.

    To be fair, there's nothing wrong with the ideal of a soldier: someone who's willing to selflessly fight and die to protect another. And sure there are individual examples of heroism in the military. But anyone with the faintest understanding of U.S. military history knows that's NOT what the military does. It's a corporatocratic machine that runs on the blood of innocent people. And us civilians are now in more danger than ever because of what you guys do. You are NOT protecting us.

    And you betrayed yourself as a sexist, so why should I be nice?
    Why should you be nice?
    Because you prove nothing by insulting one member of the armed forces, a man who represents an organization that protects your ass, even if you don't like the way they do it. Getting mad at him is like getting mad at the gear on an engine inside a tank being directed by a madman. He is a gear in a machine, he is not the entire U.S. Military.You're not even really mad at the Military if you think about, you're mad at the government. I don't think Navy Seals are all up in your neighborhood shaking bishes down for milk money to pay for their new night goggles so they can raid compounds. But the IRS is all up in your paycheck, be mad at them.
    Why should you be nice? Because this is the internet, you have the ability to be any damn thing you want to be here, and it shows a true lack of moral gumption when you abuse such a freedom. What are you when no ones looking...Oh, an ass.
    You said you have nothing wrong with the idea of a soldier, the ideal, he may not be the ideal, I don't know, I don't know him. Neither do you. But we both know he's a soldier, so you should not be attacking him on that fact. Choose something else and come up with a reasonable argument for your point. Build a case and then we can all tar and feather him together, but only once we've separated him from his career.
    What do you do for a living. Are you a mechanic? Because if you are I swear on my life, I hate you, I get screwed by mechanics and they always get my car dirty. Effing mechanics and their grease, all up in my vehicle not fixing it and shit. I like the idea of a mechanic though, someone who is knowledgeable about vehicles and will fix mine appropriately without getting grease on my steering wheel, but I'm always bitchy when I go to the shop because I assume that no matter what, I'll never get that ideal mechanic, I'll get the jack ass with the sagging drawers and dirty hands, dangit I can change out my radiator faster than that guy can...

  5. #1745
    huntergirlhayden's Avatar
    huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    245

  6. #1746
    Arikara6's Avatar
    Arikara6 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Currently at Fort Lewis, WA
    Posts
    225
    Chaohinon,
    I have more than a faint idea of military history - I have two degrees in it. Let's be honest, you're not engaging in debate here - you're trying to lecture me - you've villified me and you have no idea who I am, or what I'm about.

    Hell, I haven't even gotten into my logic as to why I believe what I believe about women in combat arms, and you've gone and top-roped me (that's a wrestling reference - I imagine that probably means I'm a redneck too, yeah?)

    You've got me ALL figured out, don't you?

    Listen, if we're not going to have a civil discourse, I'm not going to bother chatting you up. Ever read Voltaire? I've got a good quote for you:

    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

    Cheers partner...I'm done with this thread. I'm not going to sit here and get insulted.

  7. #1747
    Dave_o's Avatar
    Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nort West Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara6 View Post
    Chaohinon,

    Cheers partner...I'm done with this thread. I'm not going to sit here and get insulted.
    ...grace...

  8. #1748
    Dave_o's Avatar
    Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nort West Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by huntergirlhayden View Post
    Wow..

    I thought your thirteenth amendment put a stop to things like that..

  9. #1749
    Pink Grokoddess's Avatar
    Pink Grokoddess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    "Obligation" is becoming a dirty word these days, anyway. Like "discipline" and "patience." We're in the midst of a great social experiment that I don't think has ever come along before at this magnitude. We have the resources and the technology to manipulate those resources to such a degree that, yes, the traditional roles of men and women are becoming obsolete, at least on the surface of things. But those traditional roles have been in place since before humans were humans. There is some serious neural hardwiring going on that a few decades can't possibly undo.

    I may have mentioned before that I don't know of too many happy marriages, but the ones I do know of invariably have a strong leader and able provider doing a job he loves as the husband, and a home-loving nurturer as the wife (and they have three or four kids). The majority of the unhappy marriages I know of have both partners working, and the man unable to satisfy the woman mentally or sexually (usually because he is so damn overworked, but in one case he's just an ass).

    Sometimes I think of it like this. A man and a woman as a couple are like an egg. The man is the outer shell and the woman is the yolk inside. The yolk needs the outer shell to keep it safe and to keep it contained in the proper shape for life to develop. But without the yolk, the shell has no purpose. And the hard shell gains some strength to absorb blows thanks to the yielding and soft yolk underneath. Without it, the shell would shatter very easily. Hokey enough for you?
    This is nice..
    "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." Nora Roberts

    Start December 20th 2010: 177 lbs
    Currant: 136 lbs
    Goal: 125 lbs
    11 more lbs to go


    Follow My Journey :-)

  10. #1750
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,667
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    Wow..

    I thought your thirteenth amendment put a stop to things like that..
    another logic fail
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •