Page 161 of 699 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 6981

Thread: A thread wherein guys rant, complain, and chat about MANLY MAN THINGS page 161

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I could care less about society. Humans are wired for the men to be leaders. Men are the emotionally stable ones, the providers, the protectors.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I could care less about society. Humans are wired for the men to be leaders. Men are the emotionally stable ones, the providers, the protectors.
    Now you're just trolling.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by New Renaissance View Post
    There is a difference between chivalry and subservience. Do you like to have the upper hand, or do you like respect? A confident assertive individual takes their significant other into consideration when making decisions about their actions. A lot of "nice guys" are just emotional tampons (i like that term. hilarious!) for women to get their emotive fix, but ultimately need the challenge of someone who doesn't put up with their shit. Working relationships strike a balance where both partners compliment each other's good qualities.
    I agree.
    ~Sandy

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Men are not "emotionally stable" they are emotionally suppressed because someone, somewhere along the way told them that crying was "gay".

The description of men you provided is a modern one. If we're speaking in the primal sense, Grok and Grokette would have taken on equal roles in regards to providing and protecting.
    ~Sandy

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Regarding "Nice Guy" stuff and Alpha Male stuff

I am a big believer in having the "Alpha Attitude", but I think it gets skewed quite a bit. Women, you wouldn't know this, but guys are constantly bombarded with images and notions that the Alpha attributes are killing society. Wars? Alpha Males. Political Problems? Alpha Males. Etc. and Etc.

We see TV shows all the time like King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Are We There Yet, etc where the men are huge pussies and assert no dominance whatsoever. Yes, they are comedy shows, but they still continued to propagate that imagery. Look at the show "How I Met Your Mother". It's hilarious, but the guys are doorstops except for one guy, Barney (<3 NPH). It's awesome that they show this "Alpha Male" in the show, but it also sucks that they skew image to be funny because it's "wrong" to be like he is.

On top of this we have radio shows, pundits, talk shows hosts, and whatever else out there like Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz contributing to the further feminization of men and I think if this trend continues we are going to see one of the most fucked up generation of men any of us have ever seen.

Nice guys get labeled as pussies, Alpha men get labeled as assholes, and basically no one wins. I do my best to be an Alpha Male by doing the following:
    1. Respecting women and all that they do in regards to raising a family, etc
    2. Make decisive decisions and stand behind them
    3. Support myself and my loved ones to the best of my ability
    4. Be honest and have great integrity
    5. Keep my mouth shut (no gossip, no rumormongering, etc)

I know this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the entire issue is pretty nebulous. I think that Alpha Males are labeled as "problems", but if you look at the attributes I've listed above there is nothing there that lends itself to the negative image the status of "Alpha" male currently implies.

I will step off my soapbox now.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    It's just that today's men have been so feminized that you have to exaggerate to make a point sometimes, and then dumb people take it out of context and out of proportion.
    But it isn't women doing this. It's the loss of manufacturing jobs, the loss of trades, the cheap imports from China that make it easier to run to Walmart to buy crap as opposed to making things yourself or paying a craftsman for quality. It's the population growth that turns what used to be hunting grounds into subdivisions. It's the farm subsidies that make it more expensive to raise your own livestock than to just run to the supermarket and buy meat and eggs. The avenues for men to express their masculinity are disappearing. There's nothing satisfying about sitting behind a desk all day, being degraded by your boss, being made to wear a suit and tie. Sure, being able to support your family is a good feeling, but falling wages and longer work hours aren't because women are taking all the jobs. It's because so many jobs are being shipped overseas. Women have always worked except for a brief period last century when a false image of femininity was created and a false dichotomy of male vs. female was created.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    alpha male (as Rivvin mentioned):

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Regarding "Nice Guy" stuff and Alpha Male stuff

I am a big believer in having the "Alpha Attitude", but I think it gets skewed quite a bit. Women, you wouldn't know this, but guys are constantly bombarded with images and notions that the Alpha attributes are killing society. Wars? Alpha Males. Political Problems? Alpha Males. Etc. and Etc.

We see TV shows all the time like King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Are We There Yet, etc where the men are huge pussies and assert no dominance whatsoever. Yes, they are comedy shows, but they still continued to propagate that imagery. Look at the show "How I Met Your Mother". It's hilarious, but the guys are doorstops except for one guy, Barney (<3 NPH). It's awesome that they show this "Alpha Male" in the show, but it also sucks that they skew image to be funny because it's "wrong" to be like he is.

On top of this we have radio shows, pundits, talk shows hosts, and whatever else out there like Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz contributing to the further feminization of men and I think if this trend continues we are going to see one of the most fucked up generation of men any of us have ever seen.

Nice guys get labeled as pussies, Alpha men get labeled as assholes, and basically no one wins. I do my best to be an Alpha Male by doing the following:
    1. Respecting women and all that they do in regards to raising a family, etc
    2. Make decisive decisions and stand behind them
    3. Support myself and my loved ones to the best of my ability
    4. Be honest and have great integrity
    5. Keep my mouth shut (no gossip, no rumormongering, etc)

I know this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the entire issue is pretty nebulous. I think that Alpha Males are labeled as "problems", but if you look at the attributes I've listed above there is nothing there that lends itself to the negative image the status of "Alpha" male currently implies.

I will step off my soapbox now.
    I think those are great qualities to strive for. But 'alpha' gets a bad rap when the man-o-sphere takes it to mean 'disrespect and pump and dump' as many women as possible, and is pretty anti-marriage and anti-family. I think what you're saying is more of a traditional alpha, whereas the above linked blogs are more the 'pick-up artist' type alpha.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 05-09-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    But it isn't women doing this. It's the loss of manufacturing jobs, the loss of trades, the cheap imports from China that make it easier to run to Walmart to buy crap as opposed to making things yourself or paying a craftsman for quality. It's the population growth that turns what used to be hunting grounds into subdivisions. It's the farm subsidies that make it more expensive to raise your own livestock than to just run to the supermarket and buy meat and eggs. The avenues for men to express their masculinity are disappearing. There's nothing satisfying about sitting behind a desk all day, being degraded by your boss, being made to wear a suit and tie. Sure, being able to support your family is a good feeling, but falling wages and longer work hours aren't because women are taking all the jobs. It's because so many jobs are being shipped overseas. Women have always worked except for a brief period last century when a false image of femininity was created and a false dichotomy of male vs. female was created.
    I never blamed the women for the feminzation, plenty of men are to blame for it, along with some women.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by New Renaissance View Post
    Does that mean you aren't going to show your boobs anymore?
    Dear God, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
    Men are not "emotionally stable" they are emotionally suppressed because someone, somewhere along the way told them that crying was "gay".

The description of men you provided is a modern one. If we're speaking in the primal sense, Grok and Grokette would have taken on equal roles in regards to providing and protecting.
    What's wrong with crying? Who cares if someone thinks you are gay?