Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: teeth grinding page

strom is offline Senior Member

teeth grinding

Shop Now
    I have the teeth grinding. I guess its called tinnitus? I have grinded away a lot of my teeth. So I have been wearing mouthguards at night for several years. I go through them every 6 months or more. Expensive too. I did not listen to loud music regularly and the grinding has been going on for more than a decade. It was worse last night, since my lower teeth were sore, and this was after 700 mg of magnesium citrate and a epsom salt bath. I do have fillings but I don't believe they have mercury in them.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    If it were me and the magnesium isn't helping, I would eat carbs before bed for the relaxing effect of the serotonin release. Then do the low carb thing in the daytime hours. Also try taking L-tryptophan before bed (with your carbs). Try it and see if it helps.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    My son does this, he grinds so hard it makes me cringe. I did as well, prior to getting on adrenal support. My jaws would be so inflamed I couldn't close my mouth all the way-I'd have as much as a 1/2" 'gap' between my molars until the swelling went down. Broke my two wisdom teeth as well (the only ones I had) grinding.

DS does it much, much worse when he's under stress-any kind, good or bad (good stress = birthday party the next day, something exciting planned, etc.)

Magnesium was a joke for bruxism (tinnitus is ringing ears ) for us; Pantethine 500mg and Pyrodoxine 250 mg (B5 & B6) plus 100 mgs Bcomplex are the only things that even remotely help for DS...but depending on the situation, even they aren't a fix.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

I generally have taters (sweet) at dinner. I'm not sure how healthy l-trypotophan or 5 htp is though so a little nervous about taking that at night.

B5 and B6 are a possibility. I don't take those.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Well - it's a spendy way to go about it, but mine went away after I had braces. I used to grind horribly - would wake up with a sore jaw. My doc said she felt that with my grinding and my misaligned bite, that certain teeth were taking all the pressure and were in danger of cracking. So - she recommended I get my bite corrected, and after I got braces, I never ground my teeth again. OTOH - it's cheaper than broken teeth. Not sure how well it would work for others - it certainly wasn't the outcome I expected, but I'm really grateful.

No to braces. That's several years worth of extra pain for something that might not work. It would more practical to have crowns, but that's even more expensive. There has got to be a way of cutting back the intensity of the grinding. The mouthguard is usually pretty good at this, but it would last much longer if the grinding were lessened. Mouthguards can cost 300 and up.

http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/co...kitana/bio.gif hehe. You should use her as an avatar. or a picture of a sword.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Ecklektika,

What kind of 'adrenal support' did you get that helped with your bruxism? And how do you think it worked? Do you think it reduced the amount of cortisol your body was producing, or did it actually supplement the amount of cortisol you had (if you had adrenal burnout to the degree that you weren't making enough)? I find this very interesting and wonder if adrenal support would be helpful for other stress-induced conditions.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    Ecklektika,

What kind of 'adrenal support' did you get that helped with your bruxism? And how do you think it worked? Do you think it reduced the amount of cortisol your body was producing, or did it actually supplement the amount of cortisol you had (if you had adrenal burnout to the degree that you weren't making enough)? I find this very interesting and wonder if adrenal support would be helpful for other stress-induced conditions.
    Aldosterone and Hydrocortisone mostly, methylprednisolone for a while. My adrenals were shot, and I was diagnosed with hypopituitary (eg, the toaster works fine, but the powers out, KWIM?) BUT and here's the bizarre thing-I'm off all adrenal support now save when I'm superstressed. My thought is that I had the pituitary version of adrenal fatigue (IDK if that's even possible, but hypopit is supposed to be a permanent situation). My son needs HC as well, I can tell that by looking at his labs, and I am thisclose to finding a doc that will actually DO it.

Considering that your adrenals are what allows you to cope with stress, yes, I'd say adrenal support in any form would be liable to help a stress -induced 'condition'. Just have to find the right one, be it homeopathy, ACE, herbs, sea salt and vit C, or Rx's. If one doesn't help, try a different one. Do NOT use HC without proper supervision, however. It can be quite dangerous, and having crisised multiple times due to medical ineptitude (food poisoning and what not during an ugly separation...bad things), it is NOT something to screw around with. Licorice and ashwaganda, etc are fine on your own. Educate yourself on the subject though, (and reading for 20 minutes online doesn't count )
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Strom, you might want to look into epigenitic orthodontics, which uses palate widening retainers worn at night. A lot of people with grinding (bruxism) and TMJ are using them to widen the dental arch and align the teeth in a healthy way (many of us have underdeveloped jaws and dental arches due to poor nutrition as we were developing). I think they're less expensive than braces and they correct the underlying bone foundational issues (they don't just shove the teeth together like braces do).

Here is the website: http://www.dnaappliance.com/
    Another company making similar devices is Facial Development

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Tinnitus is ringing in ones ears.

Bruxism is grinding teeth.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast