Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: teeth grinding page 2

MountainDew is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Tinnitus is ringing in ones ears.

Bruxism is grinding teeth.
    Well, to be fair, someone grinding their teeth makes my ears ring...
    PB Stats:
    Started 5/10/10
    Starting Weight: 215
    Current Weight (1/25/11): 180
    Goal Weight: 160

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    Strom, you might want to look into epigenitic orthodontics, which uses palate widening retainers worn at night. A lot of people with grinding (bruxism) and TMJ are using them to widen the dental arch and align the teeth in a healthy way (many of us have underdeveloped jaws and dental arches due to poor nutrition as we were developing). I think they're less expensive than braces and they correct the underlying bone foundational issues (they don't just shove the teeth together like braces do).

Here is the website: DNA Appliance
    Another company making similar devices is Facial Development
    This is fascinating. I suspect I may have to do something like this with DS in a few years-his teeth are perfectly straight now, but I'm scared to see what his perms look like.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    I used to grind my teeth too. All my molars are capped. The dental advice I got was wear a mouthguard, which protected my teeth, but it displaced all that grinding force to my TMJ and my facial muscles, with unhappy results.

Being strictly primal has cured me. I don't eat grains or nuts at all, nor dairy (except when hubby brings home the Brie), very little fruit, and quite low carb. It didn't happen overnight, probably more like a couple or three months.

I think what had to happen was my hormonal regime had to normalize. This is wild speculation on my part, but PB has given me way fewer ups and downs and a lot more steady energy, and I think this correlates to a more stable thyroid situation and more adrenalin. My body likes this, and is no longer fighting internal distress all night.

My advice is DO NOT eat things that you "crave" -- meaning that wild out-of-control feeling of "ooooooo, I could just drink a glass of OJ right now." Don't. Have some water, and if you don't want the water, it's not a drink you want.

Like that. Good luck.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    Bed time teas (yogi brand) is good already has stevia in it and herbs help a lot I have TMJ really bad sometime can open mouth in the morning..

a small banana right before bed has muscle relaxing properties also

Bruxism/Teeth grinding: All - MayoClinic.com
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/t...s/ol209104.pdf

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    This is fascinating. I suspect I may have to do something like this with DS in a few years-his teeth are perfectly straight now, but I'm scared to see what his perms look like.
    I listened to teleseminars with both of the pioneers in the field and it AMAZED me how many things are related to maxilla (upper jaw) underdevelopment: astigmatism/near sightedness (since the maxilla supports the eye sockets) apnea (crooked/collapsed nasal airways- again, part of the maxilla) TMJ, hearing issues, ear infections, migraines, neck/back problems (from forward head pitch due to underdeveloped airways), and facial asymmetry. Also, anxiety from forward head pitch triggering the sympathetic nervous system is an issue!

Weston Price was so right about facial/dental bone structure being a sign of good nutrition. I want to get my teeth/bite fixed with one of these appliances someday.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I have aligned teeth and as far as I know no problems with a crowded dental arch or jaw; I never needed braces. But I still grind my teeth at night, and didn't realize it until a dentist pointed out that the inner teeth were shorter than the outer teeth. So I wear one of those night guards now (on most nights when I remember). On nights when I don't I can sometimes feel some mouth soreness when I wake up in the morning. I also used to have very bad TMJ soreness, it would make it difficult to open my mouth. Now I can just hear it lightly clicking when I swallow but that's about it. I think for me the TMJ problem was worse when I was very stress and it first developed. And I think teeth grinding is worse on those nights when I sleep very very deeply. But that's what we'd want ideally right?

strom is offline Senior Member
    I have an overbite. How would this jaw changer thing stop me from grinding at night? That's when the damage occurs. I have always had bruxism, well as long as I can remember. Although if its called by SSRI I may have to lower my dosage. I just took some B 5 and B6 supplement since they were suggested. Hopefully that will help. May have to try the bananas at night too. I do like bananas though.

That looks extremely painful I hope it doesn't do that all at once?

http://www.facialdevelopment.com/about.php
    Last edited by strom; 05-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Wenona1975 is offline Member
    people can have parasites (for years and years) in the jaw as well as other locations, causing stress in the body which could cause you to grind your teeth. If the previous advice given doesn't work for you, try researching this.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    I have an overbite. How would this jaw changer thing stop me from grinding at night? That's when the damage occurs. I have always had bruxism, well as long as I can remember. Although if its called by SSRI I may have to lower my dosage. I just took some B 5 and B6 supplement since they were suggested. Hopefully that will help. May have to try the bananas at night too. I do like bananas though.

That looks extremely painful I hope it doesn't do that all at once?

Facial Development

It's actually NOT painful, as these devices use light, biologically appropriate force, unlike braces. That's the cool thing! They can reposition both the upper and lower jaw. For people with overbites, the lower jaw is usually too far back. Of course, there can be a stress aspect to teeth grinding, but even having a badly positioned jaw can trigger the nervous system into a reactive stress pattern, which seems like that would make grinding even worse!

It would be worth it to get evaluated by someone who uses these devices (both sites have lists of dentists). they'll be able to tell you what's causing the bruxism and you won't have to keep guessing.

strom is offline Senior Member
    have to go to pa for it. Not sure if my insurance will cover it, since it doesn't cover routine dental we have to pay for that. AFraid to know how much that costs. Probably at least 500. MOre likely 1000-2000 knowing how dentist like to overcharge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast