Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Stretch Marks? page

shalozby is offline Junior Member

No Stretch Marks?

I was wondering if this was common with weight loss due to a primal/paleo lifestyle. When I started eating primal as a lifestyle, I wasn't doing a lot of exercise for the first few months, because I was still in the throes of energy-sapping conditions. Even though the fat rolls were disappearing and all my clothes getting loose, I didn't think I was actually losing weight because I didn't see any stretch marks.

In the past, I've relied on them appearing to let me know if Weight Watchers or Medifast was working (Medifast really messed up my body). I would get them even if I lost 7-10 pounds. However, I haven't gotten a single one over the past six months, and I've gone from a US size 16/18 to a 8/10 so far. I haven't had access to a scale, won't buy one, so I haven't weighed myself yet. According to the tape measure, I'm losing weight faster since I've begun to do strengthening exercises and may have to replace the pants I just bought, but still, no stretch marks. In fact, the most recent marks that I got about a year and a half ago due to rapid weight gain are nearly invisible now.

My mother had six kids and never got a stretch mark on her stomach, and my father also isn't prone to them. They eat SAD. I thought I just got the bad genes, but now I am wondering if it's just that my skin is healthy enough to bounce back from the changes. Has anyone else, who was previously prone to them, noticed that not a single one has appeared from going primal?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    According to Cillakat (long-time member here), stretch marks are all about nutrition, not heredity, as is commonly believed.

Here's a link to her Google docs: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...cQ&hl=en&pli=1

apple is offline Senior Member
    I bet it's the good fat in the primal diet! I never took notice of it before you mentioned it, but the stretch marks I've had on my hips since puberty are nearly gone.

It's good to be primal
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Oh I hope so! I noticed some old ones that are lying against each other this morning bc of weight loss. But that could also just be skin, I didn't study it long.

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    You won't get stretch marks if you're losing weight (unless you're gaining a ton of muscle). You get stretch marks when you gain weight (in any form) faster then your skin can adapt and it causes tears in the epidermis.

d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideal Peace View Post
    You won't get stretch marks if you're losing weight (unless you're gaining a ton of muscle). You get stretch marks when you gain weight (in any form) faster then your skin can adapt and it causes tears in the epidermis.
    This.
    -dennis

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideal Peace View Post
    ...as in pregnancy for women. I have terrible stretch marks from carrying twins.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I have terrible stretch marks on my stomach, ass, and arms from getting really fat really fast on SAD... now that I'm paleo/primal they've kinda faded a little but on my arms i've got them a little covered up due to my many tattoos...

For me they suck but they are an infinite reminder of what the Standard American Diet will do to a person... luckily most people don't notice them unless i point them out specifically
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Ideal Peace is offline Senior Member
    They fade eventually, tanning can help (pref. some natural sun in small increments), creams claim they can help fade it faster, but with the exception of a plastic surgeon cutting\tucking the excess skin the only real treatment is a series of laser treatments that shrink it about as small as it can get.

shalozby is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank everyone!

I have gotten stretch marks from losing weight though - rapidly. The last time this happened was about five years ago, when my primary care physician put me on the 6-month Medifast diet. He did a little math and determined my BMI at 33 at the time. I was wearing a size 14, was pretty strong, but was a "success" dropped to a skinny-fat 2/4. Not only did I lose fat, but I also lost a lot of muscle because I was too tired to do anything. Then, I gained it all back over the course of a couple years, and then some, without getting back the muscle or my vitality, but I got stretch marks from both losing the weight and gaining it back pretty quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast