Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal influence making a difference even though money is tight. page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Primal influence making a difference even though money is tight.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I posted a while ago about the difficulties of primal eating on a ghetto budget. But I just have to bear witness to the truth that even without the grass fed beef or mysterious buckets of tallow people seem to be chewing on, I've never been doing better. I have removed almost all grain-based foods from my grocery list and buy primarily meats and veggies, green apples and coconut milk, avocados, hummus and other things like this. It means I eat less of the food, but I am full sooner so it almost satisfies me. But I'm a glutton anyway, so my idea of "happily full" is probably your idea of "about to explode in pain".

I've been steadily losing weight, on a weaker magnitude of something like a pound every two to three weeks. I've been sprinting and lifting, doing pushups and playing tag. I was 190 and now I'm around 180. I'm even starting to see my abs! I laugh, I live and I don't freak out about food anymore. I've also just developed a taste for pure baking chocolate since I've become a sugar dodger.

So cash in your case of ramen noodles for two coconut milk cartons, people. I rescind my previous denouncements of financial incompatibility and proclaim now that even the poor can benefit from the Primal concept.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed beef is better but not necessary.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Offal is cheap and very nutritious
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations!!
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

inanyas is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations! I'm trying to do the same, and this goes to show that anything is better than nothing.

Thank you!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I'm not doing grass-fed or organic either at this point. I am eating pretty much the same food I always did (but I've added avocado, swiss chard, and spaghetti squash to my repertoire). Cutting out the crappy grain products and all the sugar has worked wonders.

I did make sure to add vitamin D and fish oil supplements into my plan though as partial compensation for the no grass-fed or organic thing, and I'm going to try to avoid the fats from these meats to reduce the Omega 6 impact.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Cutting grains and sugar will have the most impact for sure

Thank you for sharing that you are doing on a small budget. I have about 125. a week to feed two adults and two kids right now. I also have two teen sons who sometimes live with me and sometimes with Dad. I am not sure how I am going to make this work but I am going to try like heck.

Tigerfeet is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! It's definitely possible.

PaleoCurious - my husband and I can survive quite nicely on $50 a week. It really helps buying things like whole chickens. We'll split one for dinner and then I'll boil the bones for soup and we'll have soup for a couple of days and lunches with the extra chicken meat that comes off or that we didn't get to. Roasts are fantastic and cheap and of course various offal. If you're squeamish I recommend starting with beef heart. It's very beefy tasting but most definitely meat.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Congrats - I don't do organic or grass fed either. Maybe we all need to start a primal for cheapskates group!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast