Thread: Challenge Accepted. page

apple is offline Senior Member

Challenge Accepted.

Shop Now
    Gonna cut the dairy out for good, as well as follow a whole30 type plan for minimum 30 days. Have been having weird stomach issues, and I blame the end-of-semester celebrating. So I just bought a ton of frozen fish, and another ton of chicken thighs. Need to round out on the beef front and pick up some veggies. I will be avoiding nuts since I can't handle myself around them. Will have to keep some source of quick glucose in the house though, in case of hypoglycemia.

I also just ordered Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and hope to be getting it tomorrow, so I will be implementing that into my way of eating once I finish reading it. I really hope that this whole30 help my blood sugar. (I wish I had a working pancreas, it's really depressing to keep reading about "curing" diabetes, but knowing that no one is referring to type 1.) I'll be keeping more consistent track of my blood sugar (probably charting it).

I'm gonna pick up on my exercise! I keep talking myself out of it lately, which is crazy, because I can just barely see my ab muscles and I know if I did any kind of physical activity at all, I would probably get ripped pretty quickly.

Q: Do you take any supplements while on a whole30? I am taking magnesium and vitamin D at the moment, and I don't want to stop them if I don't have to.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Alright, so goals in Official List form:

1. Measure blood sugar immediately before and 2 hours after each meal.
    2. No dairy or nuts. Grains/veggie oils are already out, obviously.
    3. No snacking between meals--I want accurate image of what each meal does to my blood sugar over time with no interference from snacks.
    4. LHT 3x/week.
    5. Walk or bike 3 hours total every week.
    6. Sprint 2x/week--I enjoy sprinting
    7. No weighing myself!! This will be sooo hard.
    8. Eat more vegetables with my meat.
    9. Eat at least 1600, preferably 1800 calories a day (I have been batting 900-1000 lately, no good!).
    10. Less computer time! I would put up a numerical goal, but it's disgusting how much time I spend on the computer, so quantifying "less" is hardly even necessary.

Re: #9: I track using livestrong, and take my time to get accurate numbers for calories and macros. I think the reason that I have been eating so little is because I'm trying to control my blood sugar so much--I have really high fasting blood sugar and the best way to bring that down in the morning is to take insulin and skip breakfast. I can't eat larger meals to make up for skipped breakfast because too much brings on gut pain due to Crohn's disease (I know, I'm a mess). I try not to eat too late at night because it gives me even higher blood sugar in the morning. It's a dilemma that I hope to figure out once I get Dr. B's book.

Re: #7: I'm not trying to lose pounds here, just some lower body fat, so I don't know WHY it's been so hard to divorce myself from the scale. I'm 5'9", 135#, 31-23-37 (really). I am skinny thin on top and skinny fat on the bottom. You can practically see a line on my lower abdomen where my body decides to start blowing up. I want to get rid of that!! This is where the exercise MUST come in for me, I know it. I'm just full of pathetic excuses when it comes to exercise, a LOT of the time. I look at what so many people here can do when they exercise and I feel like it's not worth trying to add my little numbers to the group. But that attitude stops today!! I will ride my bike AS SOON as I finish typing this, and then LHT when I get back. I swear it to myself.

So many things in this challenge are about lifestyle for me, and much less about food choices, which is why I won't call it a whole30, but will keep calling it Challenge Accepted. Hey, I like internet memes

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

strom is offline Senior Member
    Looking forward to see if this helps. Great that you got the book.

Thanks! Book should be in today, right after my last final exam. Perfect timing, or else I wouldn't have studied, lol.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have called this a whole30, because I am going to add potatoes to dinner every few days to see how it affects my fasting blood sugars. I suspect that staying in ketosis is raising gluconeogenesis, so I'm going to see what happens when I deliberately eat primal carbs.

For example, last night I made a freaking delicious filet of cajun mahi-mahi for dinner, topped with diced mango, and a side of cajun fried potatoes. Sooo good I just want to eat that for weeks straight, omg. I haven't had a mango in like 2 years either, and that was just heavenly on its own. So I took plenty of insulin to cover such a high carb meal (6 units humalog, yes!) but it wasn't quite enough; dang that mango was sugary! Had to take a little more before bed. BUT for the first time in a week my blood sugar was below 200 this morning. By like 4 points, but still, a start is a start. I think I'll stick to one source of carb at a time per meal from now on, although mixing cajun potatoes with mango was just beyond excellent. Fish was yummy too. I love ocean fish

I rode my bike about 5 miles yesterday before my legs got tired of it. This is also a start. I have wimpy 10 and 12 pound dumb bells that I will be using tonight as my LHT (heavy being subjective, here, lol...gotta start somewhere?). Will probably do one of the p90x workouts, since they tell me what to do for a whole hour.

And I DID NOT weigh myself this morning, it was difficult but fabulous. Curiosity was killing me, I really wanted to know what a mango and potatoes did to me, but it's just better this way. I think being tortured with my blood sugar measurements is enough, and I'll be happier if I don't have to torture myself with the scale on top of that.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

So apparently just reading the introduction to diabetes pages in Dr. Bernstein's books helps, because I woke up with a fasting bg of 120 just now! Exciting.

I attribute it for real to either:
    Same dinner last night minus the mango (so mahi-mahi with potatoes fried in coconut oil)
    Lifting weights non-stop style for the 8 minutes that my fish cooked
    Eating an earlier dinner
    Taking less correction insulin before bed*

*Because I had starch with dinner instead of just protein and veggies, I knew when I checked my blood sugar 2 hours after dinner that it was not going up, but was most likely coming down. Usually I take enough to try to cover the slow rise that protein gives me overnight, but it's possible that I may be overshooting, going low, and then having my liver dump glucose to compensate; which would explain the usual 200s.

I'm going to assume it was a combination of things here. But now that it's Thursday, I'm going to have to prepare to be GOOD all weekend. Those are my crash and burn days. My fiance is trying primal, but he keeps drinking chocolate milk and buying juice, and it drives me crazy enough that to keep myself from having "just a teeny bit" (which it would never be), I gorge on nuts or cheese or something that can be considered primal, but not optimal. It's never because I'm hungry either...

...it's because I just want some chocolate milk too

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

strom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    chocolate coconut milk.

Really? How did I not think of that...will definitely try it next time the craving hits

In other news...every time I have delicious steak, two hours later my blood sugar is about 40. Which is worse than my usual hypoglycemia. The first time I had steak AND sweet potato, so I had carbs, but still had low blood sugar. It's not the highest fat meal I eat, either, but maybe it has something to do with the type of fat. So new rule to remember is to not take insulin with steak, but check bg 2 hours later and THEN take insulin if I need it.

But of course steak gives me high blood sugar 10 hours later. But that's okay, I had the best steak of my LIFE last night. Bought a really high quality 1.5# ribeye yesterday, and salted/peppered it about an hour before cooking it over super high heat on the stovetop. Had to open all the windows to let the smoke out. But it was WORTH IT. That steak was so good I dragged my fiance upstairs because I just had to have steak sex afterwards. That good.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!