Thread: The Long Haul ~ Texasdadto4 page

Texasdadto4 is offline Junior Member

The Long Haul ~ Texasdadto4

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Finally, after about 15 months, I start a journal. That's probably because I'm not good at writing, and I'm very forgetful.

My goal is to gain weight/build strength. I'm 5'8" and currently 132 lbs. I've struggled for years to keep weight on. The most I've ever weighed was 145, at the 'high point' of my SAD days (working at home with easy access to the corn chips and salsa).

I began last February as part of a plan to help my autistic daughter. We decided, as a family, to change what we were eating, together. So one Saturday morning, we emptied out the fridge and the cupboards. Threw out what we couldn't donate, and went shopping for meat and vegetables.

Since then, we've discovered the wonders of coconut oil, that bacon isn't just for breakfast, and many other things. Our health has improved, and until this recent allergy season, no visits to the doctor's office.

I have discovered that I can't eat enough. About a month in, I was at my lowest weight, 124 lbs. I began trying to eat close to 3000 calories per day, and start a strength training program. 5 months of this, and I 'stalled' in my progress on the weights, and was 137 lbs. This began a decline in my health, ending with the discovery that I had adrenal problems. This was in November 2010.

So here I am, after several months of treatment for adrenal fatigue and low testosterone. The Dr. has given me the OK to start working out again. I figured it's time to start a journal, in hopes that it will keep me motivated!

As for my autistic daughter, the past 15 months have been amazing. When we began, she was mostly nonverbal, had poor fine motor skills, and was having occasional mild seizures. Now, she uses simple phrases ('want water', 'yogurt all gone', etc.). She can count to 6, write her name, and does 'pretend play' like a non-autistic child. She still has a long way to go to reach her age level developmentally, but she's a totally different little girl.

Today:
    Breakfast: 7 pieces bacon, 4 eggs scrambled in butter, herbal tea, 1tbsp. coconut oil
    Snack: small bowl leftover beef stew (stew meat, beef liver, salt/pepper)
    Lunch: 8oz beef brisket w/primal BBQ sauce, sweet potato w/2tbsp. butter, 1cup strawberries, 1tbsp coconut oil
    Snack: applegate farms hard salami, 1cup strawberries
    Dinner: 8oz ribeye steak, kale w/bacon, sweet potato w/2tbsp butter

Today started out the wrong way: up at 5:30 (normal), wanted to go to sleep at 10:30. Hoping it's just because the dog kept waking me up last night.

Yesterday was 'Fun with Glucose Meter' day. I have been having problems getting very tired around 10:30am and 3:30 pm. I obtained a glucose meter to see what was going on with my blood sugar during those times. Unfortunately, this told me nothing useful - my fasting BG was 87, and all of the tests I did (1 and 2 hours after meals, and also during the times I got very tired) were between 84 and 95. So much for the blood sugar theory.
    Perhaps I should be taking my blood pressure during those times of tiredness/fatigue. I already have low blood pressure to begin with, maybe it is dropping lower at those times.

Took my blood pressure this afternoon when I wanted to fall asleep at my desk around 3:00. 110/71. I don't think that is the problem.