Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Gets Brawn page

brianwahl is offline Junior Member

Brian Gets Brawn

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all. I've done a bit paleo before. About a year ago I went 2 weeks pretty strict, then lost my job and injured my shoulder (more on that to come), and things pretty much fell apart. I wasn't really doing Paleo - I let myself have a bit of dairy and peanut butter. Turns out it was pretty much Primal - and for those 2 weeks, I'd never felt better in my life.

I'm a former college football player, and I got into crossfit a while back (until I injured my shoulder). The shoulder still needs surgery, but I can do pretty much anything that doesn't involve pushing weight over my head, so I can do a modified version of Primal Blueprint Fitness.

My downfall has always been binging and eventually falling off the wagon for weeks/months at a time. I can be strict for a week or two, but moving past the 2 week or so barrier has always been a problem for me.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Brian

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Welcome Brian! I wish you success in finally kicking the sometimes bad dietary habits to the curb. Some people can go cold turkey and others do better easing into things and eliminating/replacing things gradually. You just gotta find what works for you. Feel free to ask any questions; this forum is pretty friendly and helpful most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Welcome Brian! I wish you success in finally kicking the sometimes bad dietary habits to the curb. Some people can go cold turkey and others do better easing into things and eliminating/replacing things gradually. You just gotta find what works for you. Feel free to ask any questions; this forum is pretty friendly and helpful most of the time.
    Thanks! I've actually been at it about a week now. Doing good so far. I've kept an offline journal so I'll post up some details about what I've been doing/eating so far.

April 25 log

Workout: 2 mile run (outside)

Felt OK – about 85 degrees or so outside. Quite a bit hotter outside than my last run.

Total time: 18:19

Other: 20 push-ups. Haven’t done any upper body stuff in a while (like 6 months) because of my injured shoulder – just wanted to see how it felt. Push-ups felt pretty good – definitely going to be doing more of them in the future.

Food:

This wasn't much of a good day for Primal foods.

Macros:

Calories: 2004
    Fat: 104 g
    Carbs: 161 g
    Protein: 96 g
    Sugar: 112 g

Meal 1:

2 slices wheat bread, 2 tbsp Peter Pan peanut butter, 1 tbsp strawberry preserves, 1 cup 2% milk, Coffee with fat-free creamer and sweetener

Meal 2:

3 eggs, 3 slices turkey bacon, apple, 1 pat butter, 1 oz colby jack cheese

Meal 3:

5 slices lunch meat (ham and turkey), 2 oz provolone, mixed veggies (Green Giant)

Other:

A bunch of snack sized candies. Did an after-Easter egg hunt today at church with the youth group. I tried to resist, but I was weak.

April 26

Workout: did the basic "Lift Heavy Things" workout

I can't lift anything over my head due to some torn cartilage in my shoulder.

Warm-up (which ended up being more than a warm-up):
    Timed mile (outside): 8:06

Most of this was uphill, and it was hard, despite the not-so-impressive mile time.

Workout:
    2 Rounds (max effort):

Push-ups, Pull-ups (one-leg chair assisted), Air squats, Plank holds (push-up position)

Round 1:
    20 push-ups // 12 pull-ups // 35 air squats // 60 seconds plank hold

Round 2:
    12 push-ups // 10 pull-ups // 35 air squats // 50 seconds plank hold

Totals:

32 push-ups
    22 pull-ups
    70 air squats
    110 seconds of plank holds

Total score: 234

As I was doing this, I kept thinking that I haven’t done any real strength training in about 8 months (when I hurt my shoulder). I guess I just figured any upper-body training wouldn’t be possible, and I sort of just gave up. I’ve done a bit of running and even less rowing in that time. My numbers aren’t that impressive, but I was fighting off pukie, and it took me a few hours to feel “normal” again. I’m going to be hurting for a few more days, that’s for sure. On a positive note, my shoulder felt great – it seems I can do pretty much any movement except pushing things over my head and any kind of explosive or swinging motion (like cleans, snatches, kettlebell swings, etc).

Food

Macros

Calories: 1960
    Fat: 60g
    Carbs: 200g
    Protein: 116g
    Sugar: 87g
    Lots of processed food today. Not enough protein.

Breakfast (not primal):

Fiber One cereal, 2% milk, banana, coffee, fat-free creamer

Lunch (not primal):

Lean Cuisine frozen dinner thing. It was actually pretty tasty, but I hate eating this stuff. Deep down I know that it’s all processed crap. But it’s healthy processed crap!

Post Workout:

Syntrax Nectar protein, 2 clementine oranges, handfull of walnuts

Dinner (not primal):

Wheat bread, 6 slices deli meat (ham and turkey), 2 oz provolone, bit of light mayo, butter (this was a good sandwich!)

Late:

One Hornsby’s Hard Cider. Not nearly as good as Woodchuck Pear Cider. Which isn’t quite as good as Ace Pear Cider. But, Hornsby’s is all they had at Target.

April 27

Workout: 2 mile run (outside)

I did this run outside. It wasn’t really hot (mid 80′s), but the humidity was killer. I initially wanted to do 3 miles, but at about 1.5, I was toast.

Time: 19:37 (not so great)

I’m feeling pretty sore from yesterday’s workout as well, so my legs felt pretty gassed before I even started.

Other exercise: ~1.5 mile walk with my wife in the evening.

Food:

Macros:

Calories: 1813
    Fat: 102 g (51%)
    Carbs: 126 g (28%)
    Protein: 97 g (21%)

Lots of fat, but I’m not too worried about it. Didn’t really eat enough meals during the day, and the PB&J sandwich was a poor choice.

Breakfast
    None – I’m a big breakfast eater, but today I didn’t really eat anything until lunchtime.

Lunch
    2 slices wheat bread, 2 tbsp Peter Pan PB, strawberry preserves, 1c 2% milk, coffee, fat free creamer

Dinner (almost primal - probably some suger in the dressing, and who knows what else):
    Apple Pecan Chicken salad from Wendy’s. Only used one packet of the dressing. These are pretty dang good.

Late (almost primal again - some sugar in the yogurt):
    3 eggs, 3 slices turkey bacon, cheese, Greek Gods pomegranate yogurt (which is the best yogurt I’ve ever tried – so good).

April 28:

Workout

Off – rest day.

Food

Macros:

Calories: 1685
    Fat: 97 g (52%)
    Carbs: 119 g (28%)
    Protein: 103 (24%)

Meal 1: Lean Cuisine Pizza (with some extra parmesan cheese – about 30 cals worth)

Meal 2: Salad with grilled chicken and vinaigrette dressing (from Carolina Cafe). This was an awesome salad. I didn’t eat the bread.

Meal 3: Almond Crusted Chicken with asparagus. This was something I’ve wanted to try making for a while. It was good!

Ingredients: Chicken breast tenders, ~1 oz almonds, bit of egg white, olive oil, and I put a touch of butter on the asparagus. Finally! - a real primal meal!

Meal 4: 2 eggs, 3 slices of turkey bacon, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, apple

On a side note – frying up the bacon and eggs in coconut oil was really, really good. Great sub for butter. Another 100% primal meal - besides whatever nasties are hidden in that turkey bacon.

April 29:

Workout:

I did some benchmark setting today. A couple fitness tests I’d like to continue to challenge myself on are a timed mile and a 2K row. So today I hit the gym to see where I stand.

Timed Mile (treadmill): 7:40

Felt pretty good – better than I thought! I think I could have pushed a bit harder. Next time I’ll set the speed higher to start with.

I took about a 4 minute rest and then…

2K Row (C2 Rower): 8:25

Ouch. I was passed out on the floor after this. What an awesome (and painful) workout.

Food

Macros:

Cals: 1782
    Fat: 105 g (53%)
    Carbs: 99 g (22%)
    Protein: 136g (31%)

This was really close to being 100% primal! I’m happy about that – still had a fast-food salad in there from Wendy’s, though.

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 3 slices turkey bacon, apple, coffee, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, fat-free creamer

Meal 2: Almond Crusted Chicken, asparagus

Meal 3: Wendy’s Apple Pecan Chicken Salad (with 1 packet of dressing)

Meal 4: 3 eggs (hard boiled), Fage 2% yogurt, handful of almonds

Friday Weigh In!

It’s Friday – that means weigh-in time.

Basic stats:

Weight: 206.4 lbs
    Bodyfat: 26.2%
    Lean Mass: ~152lbs
    Fat Mass: ~54.bs

Measurements:

Stomach: 40 in
    Waist: 38.25 in
    Hips: 41.25 in
    Biceps (flexed): 14.5 in

I’m going to use these as my starting points. Prepare for fancy graphs in the future. Google’s Chart API is pretty cool.

Goals (approx):

Weight: 175 lbs
    Bodyfat: 10%
    Lean Mass: 157.5 lbs
    Fat Mass: 17.5 lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    April 30:

Workout: 2 mile hike

Angela and I went to a local state park (Occoneechee) and hiked about 2 miles. There was a fairly decent little climb – it’s the highest point in Orange County, NC. Not a mountain or anything, though. I was huffing and puffing a bit at one point. Angela was leaving me in the dust!

Here’s a shot from the trail:

And from the top:

North Carolina is a pretty state.

Food: Cheat meal time!

Approx. macros:

Cals: 3547
    Fat: 153 g (39%)
    Carbs: 388 g (44%)
    Protein: 103 g (12%)

Meal 1: 3 slices bacon (real bacon!), 3 eggs

Meal 2: 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 tbsp strawberry preserves, 1/2 cup whole milk

side note about this meal - I cooked my eggs in the bacon grease. They were really greasy. Do you all cook up your eggs in all that grease, or do you drain some of it first?

Meal 3: Massive cheat meal: 3 glasses of Dr. Pepper, 1/2 of a Spinach Artichoke Dip appetizer, 1/2 Chicken Kabob entree (Bahama Breeze)

The entree was actually pretty healthy (besides the rice, which wasn’t all that good). The chicken and veggies were really tasty, and I saved half of it for later. Should make an awesome primal meal. Not sure what kind of seasoning/marinade was on it, though.

Other: Pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream (oh yeah!), Woodchuck Pear Cider (x3)

So this was like a 2000 calorie snack. Talk about a cheat!

Pretty sure I’ll feel like crap tomorrow morning. I’m giving myself these cheat meals (shooting for 1 per week) as sort of a “reward” for being healthy. I’m pretty sure that’s not a good strategy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast