Thread: Carlson's 2000 IU Vitamin D capsules - How much oil? page

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Carlson's uses sunflower oil for their D3 gel caps. Does anyone know how much oil goes into each cap, exactly? Thanks.

maba is offline Senior Member

I was thinking of the exact same question. The one I have is made with safflower oil. NOW brand of D3 is made with olive oil, wish I'd known that before I bought what I have.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Maba I did choose the NOW brand, which is great because of the olive oil. But I bought the 1000 IUs. Next time I'm getting something closer to 5,000 IUs

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

I just punctured one of the caps and poured the oil out. It didn't even fill an 1/8 of a teaspoon, so maybe it's not the end of the world after all.

egmutza Guest

Yeah, but I take 4 caps a day, so 1/2 tsp a day of sunflower oil kinda honks me off when I'm going to such extremes to avoid even a drop of the stuff in any other foods I eat.

Does the NOW brand have a pretty good reputation?

maba is offline Senior Member

SS: That's what I'm planning to to buy next, NOW 5000IU. Have any idea about the D3 liquid drops?

egmutza: Amazon has very good reviews for NOW. I found out about it on the Nephropal blog, which is turning out to be one of my favorite blogs now. The author is a Nephrologist who eats Paleo and he recommended the NOW brand.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Carlson's D Drops are made with coconut oil. I'm looking at the bottle sitting on my desk right now.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Yep, my Carlson D3 Drops (200IU) say "fractionated coconut oil".

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Omega 3 is a PUFA. You can't get around that. Whatever carrier oil they use is so inconsequential in a day's diet it is beyond the pale.

Look at how many calories are in the capsule. That tells you how much total fat is in the capsule (overlooking the calories in the gelatin.) You can then deduct the DHA and EC?? and there's your carrier oil, plus or minus.