Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misinformation on veganism, etc. page

Osa007 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi all - this is my first post. I surf by here a lot. I'll get to my point....hope it's not too much of a rant, I'll try not to. Anyway, I'm truly sick & tired of the vegan nonsense....I find it interesting that 'eating animals' is some so-called 'enlightening' book but where is the equal measure of 'vegetarian myth'? Ugh. I like to surf by the Huffington Post, but, click on the 'living' section & all you get is this idea that vegans are the holy grail of human survival, etc. etc. There is no balanced view or any journalism at all...it's disgusting. I posted a couple of comments there today (not moderated yet, I assume they'll be posted) just to try to combat the ignorance. What do you all do here to combat it? I seem to have reached some kind of critical mass in my increasing anger at this ignorance. These whacked out vegans even make their pets eat vegan!

I guess I'm posting to encourage everyone to carry on & try to help combat the loonies out there & misinformation.

Thanks for being here Mark & all of you on the forum!

bobbylight Guest

Let them preach how they preach. I have vegetarian friends and I wouldn't try to convince them to eat meat (unless they told me they don't care about animals they are just doing it completely for health) just like they wouldn't convince me to eat no meat. Honestly, there is no reason to get so worked up about it.

Basically vegan and vegetarian are the only diets that are tied to a moral code. It is no surprise that they really try to push their ideas on people.

If someone came right up to my face while I was eating meat and started talking about how it wasn't healthy I would be a little angry. But people stay stupid stuff on the internet constantly, no need to get worked up about it.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I used to be one. Now I ignore them. More meat for me

Osa007 Guest

Thanks! I'll calm down, or try. I used to be a vegetarian because of the disgusting horrors of the way the animals are treated & agree all the way with that - but, ignoring the agriculture (veggie farming, corn, soy, etc.) problem & the health issues is dangerous. I know a gal who is a rabid vegan, got her husband to be vegetarian...he's wasting away...child is vegetarian if not vegan, not thriving...she gave 'china study' to friend who turned vegan & on & on....just gets to me. Unfortunately, I think the vast majority of people simply will not think for themselves & prefer to stay in their safe little mental/emotional 'boxes' - especially if they can feel self-righteous. I agree that factory farming needs to go, but so does the unethical practices of agriculture & industrial 'not-food' soy products, and the dangerous misinformation with regard to nutrition. But, I guess if we start with what's got to go...where will that end?

Looking to our human ancestors I would say that hunting & eating animals was a spiritual practice - however, their world view was in general much more spiritual & a total 180 degree from our modern society..... Everything eats everything on this planet....there is a right & wrong way to go about it....and eating animals can be as 'spiritual' and/or 'moral' as eating a vegetable (I don't see what 'moral' about destroying forests & prairie & natural predators & of course their prey, GMO foods, pesticides, & on & on)...if of course you are educated as to the natural balance of the earth - which vegans are not...only to the part they want to see.

But, I'll take your advice & just chill. And have some eggs & bacon....

Thanks!

Del Mar Mel Guest

I think each of us just needs to focus on our own journey. I also believe no one can be a worthwhile critic of something they have never tried.

I had been on the raw veganism path the last few years. I was never able to give up fish and the occasional dairy or red meat (I have bouts of severe anemia). What drew me to PB was the fact that it is organic, 100% real food which is inline with the path I've been on. I will be taking a fish based approach to this journey but at the end of the day, what attracted me to this was the similar goals between the two of eating natural foods of this earth and a total desire to avoid the corporate food chain and medical model. Yes, I do have a strong ethical issue with the over consumption of animals so I will have to chart my path carefully. I was thrlled to have discovered Carrie Sisson's post about how she eats. It was as if I stumbled into a blueprint of what I was headed for.

I always try to go by what I think I would be doing if I existed alone in nature and this approach is in line with that. So yes, I can see that the topic raises the hackles of many around here, but please also try to see that there are some similar values between the two.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Osa007, many of your points are exactly why I chose raw foods. It is actually a very purist, spiritual approach to food and the earth. But I am coming to terms with the fact that I am not entirely committed to it so this seems a good option to me.

Osa007 Guest

Del Mar Mel - make sure that certain foods, as you probably know, are properly prepared...soaked, sprouted, fermented...some veggies shouldn't be eaten raw.

Actually I was a vegetarian & briefly vegan - been there, done that & got sick.

Thanks though for your advice & support. I think Carrie's diet looks good, too & clearly works for her.

I just have been awash in vegan propaganda lately.....with no two sides about it..and I think it's dangerous. I am disturbed at how some of them treat their pets...makes me sad.

Del Mar Mel Guest

Thanks Osa007. Yes, I do know about the soaking... I am actually venturing into some steamed veggies and am glad to make that part of my world easier.

Yes, I can imagine how tiring some of this gets. It's funny,given the path I've been down, that this feels like a natural choice for me. As you know, even in a vegan world there are different paths (such as raw) and within raw still more (fruitarian...) I was just so excited to see Carrie's post since it's exactly what I've been drawn to.

Osa007 Guest

Del Mar Mel - just wondering, - have you read the 'vegetarian myth'....it's a great book all the way around. What truly impresses me is how she was brutally honest with herself & the issues, she pushed herself out of her 'safe' zone even though it was painful. She looked at the veggies on her plate & could be honest about all the life 'sacrificed' for her salad, etc. - she has a very balanced, nuanced view. I guess that's what I'd like to see more of.....there can be common ground reached to actually help this planet - but extremism....whether it's vegans or some ignoramus who could care less about factory farming & it's perils, etc. - won't help any of us.

Unfortunately, at this point there are more idiots who care less about the welfare of animals & the connection to the welfare of the entire planet than 'rabid' vegans...& on that level I can appreciate the viewpoint of the book 'eating animals' - factory farming has to stop, no doubt. It says volumes about this society that it has ever existed - however, the opposite, the unnatural vegans as a counterforce, to me only reinforces the issues to begin with....and says volumes, too.....i.e., that we are unnatural & disconnected from reality - whether it's factory-farmed steak or GMO, pesticide laden, forest destroying vegetable or 'not-food' soyrizo, or soy coffee(ick!) - I think both extremes reflect a lack of balance & a spiritual perspective. I look to nature as a teacher - that means finding meaning in the various relationships that sustain this earth & predator/prey is a biggie! Living where I do I have found great spiritual sustenance from many different native american perspectives on harmony & balance - especially Lakota - their connection with the buffalo was intense & almost seen as interchangeble - yet, they hunted them & killed them. I don't think their spiritual leaders were any the less for it.

Osa007 Guest

You posted while I was! I suffered so much when vegetarian & vegan because I had no clue about the proper preparation of veggies, beans, grains! You're more informed & smarter than I was (I started as a teen, though, in my defense). I would like to know that vegan & vegetarians have this information...I do believe it's quite possible to be a healthy vegetarian, actually - with a little extra work & knowledge...a little less sure about vegans. Posting here has helped enormously! I feel better & like there are great people out there to have a good discourse with! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast