Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ex Vegan going PRIMAL page

vegas is offline Junior Member

ex Vegan going PRIMAL

Shop Now
    I was pseudo-vegetarian for 3 years, vegan the last 1.5. Just started eating eggs three weeks ago, fish two weeks ago, and beef/meat this week. "officially" went primal today.

The hardest thing to accept for me (even above most animal protein/fat being good!) is the saturated fat. I got to admit, 2+ decades of CW drilling into you the evils of saturated fat is a bit hard to overcome. But damn does it taste good, compared to being vegan this is a breeze

I'm at 21% body fat, goal is 10% in 2 years. For exercise I do free-weights/flexibility 5x/week for 45 min, as well ultimate frisbee once a week (though I suck at it and rest a lot )

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Lots of ex-vegans here, including me.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

mystic is offline Senior Member
    Me to. Good luck. It sure does feel strange but your body will thankyou.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I was vegan for 8 months, and I know exactly what you mean. That first week of going paleo/primal, I ate so much steak....

But I also feel so much better now. Loads more energy. I'm actually losing weight. Sleeping better. Allergies decreasing. Angels appearing and following me around with harps and flutes....

Okay, maybe not that last one.

The best part is that my guy is doing this with me. He was never up for being a vegetarian, and now he's losing more weight than me, plus lowering his cholesterol and getting better sleep. We are super, super happy with how this is working out for us.

But everyone's different. I hope it works for you, too! Good luck!

Thx for the replies, that's encouraging and it's going really well so far!

I'm going to the local Renaissance Festival prob in a few weeks and it will be fun indeed to have one of those chicken drumsticks I've always avoided. (hopefully won't have TOO much wine/beer like usual but that's another story )

I ran into a few problems switching to PB, but overall going very well.

The first is in general I have a bit more energy, which is a good thing, but at times it's been harder to get to sleep once every fourth day. I'm experimenting off and on with fasting dinner so that might be a cause. Then again going from 10% fat calories to >40% probably is just going to take a few more weeks before I've adjusted, so this isn't worrying me too much at this point.

The other thing is last week, I played ultimate frisbee for a few hours, while eating very low carbs and calories that day, and I felt kind of sick that night. Just exhausted much, much more than usual and feeling a bit moody. One thing I read is that if your salt intake is low (as mine is since I now avoid processed foods etc), and your body excretes sodium quickly on a low-carb diet, that if you also exercise too much it can cause an electrolyte imbalance sickness. I think that's what happened to me. So next time I play frisbee I'll definitely increase my salt intake before I play that day, and also probably increase my carb consumption just for that day. Maybe eat a few apples before I play (or beer, haha), or just go ahead and hit my favorite Chinese restaurant afterward.

But other than that, I'm really happy with PB! I tried on some shorts that I haven't worn in at least three years (yeah, I should of thrown them out and usually do, glad I didn't in this case ), and while they are a bit tight I still fit in fairly well and wore them all day.

I better switch to my old diet or I might need to buy all new clothing this Christmas

apple is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, dude. Funny how many ex-vegans we are getting lately! I wonder how many ex-primals the vegans are getting?

Have a baked potato with salt on it as a pre-frisbee snack? Running around can make people tired, lol
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Eric in Portland is offline Junior Member
    Yo -

just wanted to drop in and say hey to the ex-vegans. I just stopped a 15 year vegan journey. As befits our modern age, I'm going to blog about it, cause it's interesting so far and others might like to hear what's up.

Anyway - hope things are going well for you, I know this is an older thread...

clover is offline Junior Member
    I am also an ex-vegan, did vegan from May '09 to May '11, and vegetarian with occasional meat from then until the 21st of June. Doesn't your stomach feel so much better?

Eric in Portland is offline Junior Member
    Hilariously, no! I think my body is undergoing some rewiring, cause my digestion has been completely insane since starting the experiment. Haha. I figure I'll give it a while and see how it goes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast