Thread: How to overcome "carb withdrawal" page

a2hg13 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've really started eating primally this week, actually only a couple of days ago, and I realize that I have lost my ability to focus and am much more tired than usual. I sort of just feel fuzzy and out of it. Maybe I cut my carb intake to drastically over a short period of time, but how long does this last? I usually will eat something carby (apple, sweet potato) if I really need to get something done, but is that the right way to deal with the situation? Would it be better to just try and push through the fog? (Which sometimes I cannot do because I have important things to do like study for exams.)

Basically: 1)how long should this last? 2)what can/should I do to up my energy?

Thanks!

Griff is offline Senior Member

It depends on how strict you are about not eating carbs. I cut all carbs down to 20g per day and I had about three bad days. My husband did it half-assed for about three weeks and had four bad weeks. He finally went down to very limited in the fourth week and since then he's been fine.

Push through the fog and do not give in to the cravings. You are kicking an addiction, and every time you give in to it, you basically reset yourself to square one.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

jessher is offline Junior Member

The good news is that it won't take long before you say the opposite, that you wonder how long it takes after indulging in carbs to clear your "carb fog"!

Give your body a few weeks to adapt. I know it's hard. But it IS worth it. It's so cool to have sharp mental focus every day, to have energy every day and not need to nap anymore.

You are teaching your body to stop relying on cheap fuel and start working the way it was meant to. It will happen, but it may take a little bit of time.

My favorite snack with carbs in it is coconut milk blended in a blender with a few frozen strawberries and a bit of vanilla. That is my carb treat if I need one. Plenty of fat to go along with those fruit carbs.

Niklas Guest

First of all you might not need to go very low carb and might increase your carb immediately and that could help.

There are people who never adapt to a very low carb intake, they suffer for months needlessly and nothing changes.

If you diet was high in junk and carbs your pancreas might be still releasing the same amount of insulin in spite of your decreased carb intake. This is bad and will cause low blood sugar. According to a diabetic expert more harm is done (in such a case) by switching to a low carb overnight than by decreasing carb slowly like 10 grams less day.

Another thing that works is approaching low-card by having more carbs at night and very low carb breakfast and lunch. This cyclical carb eating helps to ease into low-carb and it's also the way humans are supposed to eat not the same macronutrient percentage at every meal.